New To Chiang Mai -- Where To Live?

Nobelcat

I stayed at Home in Park and liked the place...nice restaurant in moo baan , tennis courts and pool and a small adequate gym

Neighbors are nice no re dog issues and very quiet... Place is great for those with kids as there are many here and they seem to have playgroups

Walkways are all clean and well maintained and morning and night walks are great and stress free

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently live in downtown San Diego and am both near the San Diego International Airport flight path and next to the Amtrak / Cargo trains. You get used to the noise, or at least I do. Anything in Thailand should be better, especially if the flights stop in the night. Dogs are a concern, snakes are a concern, unlit roads likely more of a concern (didn't really think about that one). I think I have some great suggestions here and now have a much better idea of what I'll be doing.

I'm sure that I'm going to cancel my hotel stay (550 baht per night) and just get a condo for a month. It will be better to settle in then be in a hotel. If anyone knows a very short term condo in City Center (our just outside) then happy to look at it. I'm really not picky when it comes to something I'm going to be staying at for a month. Just want an elevator. Maybe a long-stay hotel?

no offence - yes I found it too far out - a long trawl back after a meal or drinking to hang dong from the town - about 30 minutes ride/drive then down that longggggg road to the moobaan (mostly unlit) then confront the packs of dogs who chase the bike (especially at 1 or 2 in the morning).

Not sure about 'best' makro/homepro but yes they are only 15 minutes away I grant you - anyway each to their own... glad you are happy there but it's not for me and now sold up and many others have done so too and we won't even mention the flightpath! whistling.gif

No offence taken. rolleyes.gif

I can ride Mio to Airport Plaza in 10 mins, except rush hour. Makro is 5 mins away on Mio, or 25 mins if I walk. 20 to 25 mins on Mio got me to Changklan Road Land Transport office at 0830am the other day when I had to meet a friend.... and that was taking it easy, no more than 70 kmph.

I don't go out drinking in the city but if out at a restaurant then it will be by car, so not a problem. Coming home from Number1 Bar late last week, on the Mio, I did not see a single dog, let alone a pack!

I had read about past dog problems and it concerned me at first. Friends already residing here said BWT had sorted it. We'll see ... wink.png

Western end of BWT (5A) is a lot noisier than 5B/C. A difference of 500m does make a difference! Where was your house?

Good morning... well... you do better than me then :) it took me 5 mins just to get to the security gate and the main road, forgive me, but I think you are being a little 'enthusiastic' about times. Even at full pelt it took me 10/15 mins to get to Big C and Makro and at least 20/30 mins to get to airport plaza after negotiating that horrible right U-Turn which, in itself, can take 5 minutes and is treacherous (not BWT's fault of course).

I lived in 5D which ahd tons of dogs - there is no 'we have fixed the dog problem) they are talking about reducing the strays but it's the owned dogs which are the real problem as the owners open their gates and let them out and while they are blissfully sleeping the dogs get into packs.

A cat in my garden had two beautiful kittens - both ravaged and killed by the dogs (and left in the street). Very, very nasty. The dogs peeing and No.2s everywhere and, as I have mentioned, a real menace when in their packs scared me anyway 2am in the morning being chased along unlit soi's by pack's of dogs.

and we won't even mention the flightpath!

Well now that you have I would like to ask about that.

Every time I have pointed out to my wife, what looked like a good deal

on a house in Hang Dong. She always mentions it will be too noisy with flights.

Is that a big problem there in Hang Dong generally? Or just certain areas that line up with the landing/takeoff

path?

Thank you

Wasn't too bad, to be fair, it was the dogs that was the real problem - barking and barking and barking and more importantly wandering up and down the soi's bored looking for trouble - horrible.

BWT = Bored, Wandering, Trouble making dogs coffee1.gif

On the positive side there are some very nice folk living there but with all the problems and other things (being charged for swimming, poor restaurant, no on-site mini-mart, exercise room shut, unlit street lighting etc.) I'd give it a miss. BWT had it's heyday and like many places simply ran down - but like the restaurant in it's heyday one of the best (I'm told) but now grubby tables etc. (staff nice though - not their fault) just lack of interest and investment.

• Like 1

Try Rungarrooon 3 off Hang Dong Road very nice well kept and great security . Use of the pool and club house is reasonable along with the moo baan fee. Not alot of issues with dogs or noise close to the market and really anything you need . Houses range from 5000 baht a month to 30,000 depending on how fancy you want to get . I have been here two years and have looked at many other moo baans and prefer this one over any I have seen in the past . No issues with airplane noise or street noise . At 9 oclock you can hear a pin drop ... No flooding issues either . You will be hard pressed to find anything here without a 12 month lease ..... Good mixture of Thai and farrang as well .

I would not try to guess what you like and what area is best for you

There are many good areas in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area. What works for me may not work for you. What you can afford to pay might not be the same as me

I have been in and around Chiang Mai for over 6 years, and not a day passes I dont find a new road or area I have not explored before. Some I like, some not. North east, south or west.

Many keep telling you to get a place central, many a apartment or service hotel for a month or two and get out every day and explore a new area to see what fits you best

Stayed at the studio 99 when I first came for a few nights ...the place is central and has free wifi and a small kitchen great for u to kick in and try to explore the areas and cook what you find in the markets ...from this inner city square everything pans outward and you can enjoy your exploring !

@JeffreyMcCollum, yep, that's my plan. I'll rent a place for a monthly fee and figure it out from there. And I agree, what people like might not be what I like, but I still like to hear what people's views are on different places. If it were just me, I'd only look at certain places that I've previously visited. Instead now I have a few more areas I'll check out.

@BB1955, thanks for the suggestion. I feel though that Rungarrooon is further away then I wanted, but maybe I'll make my way

having lived in 5 places (and been here 4 years) I strongly urge you to consider staying in the center - I have lived all over the place from Baan Wang Tan, Riverside, Galae Thong, Skybreeze but now live on Thaepe Road where everything is easily accessible. I suppose it depends what you are looking for - family quite life or near to the action

I have lived all over the place from Baan Wang Tan, Riverside, Galae Thong, Skybreeze but now live on Thaepe Road where everything is easily accessible.

What did you think of the three condo's mentioned?

Riverside, Galae Thong, Skybreeze

Thanks

having lived in 5 places (and been here 4 years) I strongly urge you to consider staying in the center - I have lived all over the place from Baan Wang Tan, Riverside, Galae Thong, Skybreeze but now live on Thaepe Road where everything is easily accessible. I suppose it depends what you are looking for - family quite life or near to the action

I guess you like it near the action? I think it may surprise you to find BWT management is very pro-active with mooban maintenance, noise, lighting and security. Perhaps different to when you were here .... how long ago?

2 x recommendations for short-term no lease accom. Both FF, modern, clean, and central:-

1./ SD Condominium 26 Suan Dok Road, Suthep. Monthly from ~ 12k.

2./ Chiangmai Lodge - opposite Kad Suan Keaw - you can Google it.

One can walk to restaurants, shops and markets from either location. We stayed at SD Condo and it was quiet (except for barking dogs) and Airforce jets!whistling.gif

SDcondo.JPG

SDkitchen.JPG

I guess you like it near the action? I think it may surprise you to find BWT management is very pro-active with mooban maintenance, noise, lighting and security. Perhaps different to when you were here .... how long ago?

2 x recommendations for short-term no lease accom. Both FF, modern, clean, and central:-

1./ SD Condominium 26 Suan Dok Road, Suthep. Monthly from ~ 12k.

2./ Chiangmai Lodge - opposite Kad Suan Keaw - you can Google it.

One can walk to restaurants, shops and markets from either location. We stayed at SD Condo and it was quiet (except for barking dogs) and Airforce jets!whistling.gif

SDcondo.JPG

SDkitchen.JPG

and you are very new right? I sold about 4 months ago so probably know a fair bit but I do understand that you are excited and thrilled with your new purchase so good luck with it smile.png

SD is down a winding soi - not a condo I would recommend but very new. No restaurants near-by etc. try Mandala House Hotel where I stayed when I first arrived 4 years ago

Edited by binjalin

OP,Search our forum's listings for "Is all of Chiang Mai under water?" where somewhere around entries 9 or 10 you'll find a somewhat dated but useful beginning to the map-floods information you seek.The search function will lead you to many answers to your developing line of questions.

I have the above mentioned map here, saved from whenever I was at the website last.

May save a bit of time....floodareamap.pdf

Edited by 2020

I saw Galee Thong advertising on agoda for 13 per night. Lots of Japanese and other asians there, but suprisingly it's not that convenient. Find a place, where you can go a week without being on a suk-suk or Red, and there are actually have sidewalks. You will be a lot less likely to get issued a patient number at Ram if you stay off of Motorbikes. It just takes one crash to change your life forever. I've never been to CNX and didn't see at least one farang all bandaged up from a recent crash. Lots of elbows and ankles all taped upu...but then again it could have just been a simple dog bite.

6 month ago I was in the same plan than you

we thinking on Chiang Mai because we like so much the mountains, I expected to find some nice home in the border of some quite mountain not so close/far of the city but we not find it.

we stayed some weeks jumping from hotel to hotel we not find the right close to the city, all the hotels have problems, expensive, old, bad internet, or bad location, at the end we stayed 45 days in umongthong inn http://www.umongthong.com/ for 8500 per month, good swiming pool, clean big and nice room with a+ furniture and big and new LCD TV not including water or light, the location was perfect for as, very quiet and nice area, 3 minutes walking from the Wat Umong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Umong we really chill out on that place, Chiang Mai is a pretty busy city try to avoid be on the street 5 pm the traffic it's crazy.

We trip around, the real flora, the chiang mai zoo, Doi sutep and we explore 90% of all the temples around, including almost everthing from Chiang Mai to Laos.

The problems, The contamination it's so high!! I was with alergic in my skin and in one point 50% of my body so some doctor of a local clinic there put me an injection since I was look pretty bad (nothing in my chest, my breathing was ok) he told me that was the polution that was so high.

The home with water problems, we find a nice home, very lovely in a lovely neighborhod far away in a area close to raice fields the smell around was amazing, for 7000 per month we get a home with car park, garden, 2 rooms, 1 aircon, fully furnished with some kitchen utils two toilets, water filter and washing machine. We pay 21k at the beggining as a garanty, with a realtor agent named Pat, we met the owner of the home and the next day we get the contratc with she and everthing ok, she told me (Pat) that the owner was cleaning the main water filter of the home so the water will be ok the next day when we moving. She was very helpful and told me that wherever that we need about the home we speak with she. But when we moving the water was incredible smelly like water with alcalis or something similar when the batteries die, metallic smell and flavor, we ask about when they clean the filter and they already cleaning!! so the water suposedly was clean now!! in that days, we tryed to avoid the water but I taked a shower and some minutes later I get a full alergic rush in all my body. I still had the medicine for the last rush so I taked since was sunday night and we know that no clinic are open around that area and we can go next day, since my alergic was only external or critical, only annoying.

We speak with Pat and the owner and they can not do nothing to fix the filter, the owner offer me the money back, since we cannot live with that problem of water but the fuc_king Pat girl run away with the money!!! the owner put presure to she to give the money come back (the owner is police for the king) and she say that we already close the contract and not refund alowed by the contract, we check the contract and have a lot of irregularities, she not put their own ID and address and the contract only looks legal for she since we not have the real sign or information of she!! only Pat, We tried to speak get she but she never answer, at the end the owner give us 14k come back since the 7k that she not give was the comision of she,

Problems with stressed people, scams and more.

that was the last problem, we discover that the stress of the chiang mai city affect a lot the people and in thats month we get some bad experience with people trying to cheat or scam us in a very bad mod, inclusive a taxi left us in the road while he cannot find the hotel complaining to us for the trafic, and speaking very bad in thai to my girl friend, my gf fearing that the men is part of some mafia tell me in that moment that she will explain me later what happend.

IT city charge me for one laptop two times, and many other small problems.

Air Pollution

later I was study the problems around the contamination trying to find why I get a very bad allergic there,

the pollution it's very high inclusive dangerous in some month, the problem is a mix between the weather and the poor farmers around that for save money the not clean the rest of the trees or vegetables, they simply burning everthing, plus the car pollution on the city it's very bad

http://www.earthoria.com/air-pollution-levels-in-chiang-mai-rising.html

Water contamination

Chiang Mai sometimes have a bad bacteria contamination and another problems for example the home that i rented, you need to think in filters, where you will watch your cloth, allergics etc.

another thing to check is big building aroud, sould be sad if you rent a home one year beside a new building construction.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to find a house from CM aswell. 3-4 bedrooms, modern, FULLY furnished western style (many houses I've seen are told to be fully furnished, but that seems to mean that there is just a bed in every bedroom). Like OP, area I'm looking is south (south-west or west ok too). Any suggestions where to start looking for? Should I just go to moo baans myself or what is the best way to find a good house?

was staying along canal road Convention Condo, nice condo by main road not too far from nimah and yet quiet peaceful location with Doi suthep and swimming pool view having coffee on the balcony.

http://www.conventioncondo.com

can drop in to the management office and sometime will have available unit for rent or buy.

Spare the rod spoil the child!

@CMX, know of any map maybe of the flooded areas of CM? I do know to stay away from any water sources (much more though due to the mosquitoes) but I didn't think about how far that water might reach.

@kaptainrob, Thanks! Looks like an excellent area and it's next to an area I've explored before. So I know the area. I guess I'll just Tuk Tuk or scooter around.

Hi Nobelcat,

Since you seem to be considering the South side of the city you might like to take a look at the guide to moving to Chiang Mai that I put together for our school website. Lots of good Moo Baan choices included within the guide - you'll just have to ignore the school stuff...

See here: http://lannaist.ac.th/admissions-info/moving-to-chiang-mai

@CMX, know of any map maybe of the flooded areas of CM? I do know to stay away from any water sources (much more though due to the mosquitoes) but I didn't think about how far that water might reach.

@kaptainrob, Thanks! Looks like an excellent area and it's next to an area I've explored before. So I know the area. I guess I'll just Tuk Tuk or scooter around.

Hi Nobelcat,

Since you seem to be considering the South side of the city you might like to take a look at the guide to moving to Chiang Mai that I put together for our school website. Lots of good Moo Baan choices included within the guide - you'll just have to ignore the school stuff...

See here: http://lannaist.ac.t...g-to-chiang-mai

CORRECTION

I have NO IDEA how bangkokrick's quote "Spare the rod spoil the child" ended up as part of my post. Really, I have no idea... I blame my Ipad - it must be an Apple child beater thing!

This is not a view shared by me, unless it's talking about the character traits not developed through failing to take children fishing... This I agree is a major omission by any parent!

Hi Nobelcat,

See here: http://lannaist.ac.t...g-to-chiang-mai

Hi Jimshortz

I'm also looking for a house to rent and looked at your guide's housing section - some useful info there. I already live in Chiangmai and am looking to move. I don't have to be that near your school. Some queries: you say the agencies prices are inflated; but I find many if not all the rental signs in moo bans, including some you mention, refer back to these agencies. Is it possible to get a place in one of the better moobans and avoid the inflated agency prices - or are houses in these always routed through the agencies? I've got a 25k+ budget but want to pay a fair deal. Given that, and the fact that I have a car and time - would you say that the agencies are simply not worth my consulting and that I should rely only on driving around looking for rental signs?

Ban Wangtan is tucked in off Hang Dong Rd, 3km SSE of CNX, almost behind Makro. Map: http://wikimapia.org...12&z=16&l=0&m=b

It's a large leafy development with many rentals in section 5 from ~ 8k p/m up. Average for a nice 2 or 3 bed single story on small plot is ~ 12k. Best to drive around and look for rental signs on gates. Took me 6 weeks before we found a suitable spacious house with BIG kitchen.

Lease normally ~12months although some landlords will negotiate. You pay water, security and power on top of rent, say 1,500 baht p/m.

PM if you want more info.

I honestly would give Baan Wang Tan a miss for a variety of reasons: too far out, full dogs, charge for swimming pool etc. etc. and way out where you want to be - IN town

Nearly all villages charge for use of their pool. BWT is 30 baht which hardly breaks the bank or you can get a monthly ticket for 700b and swim as many times as you like per day.Too far out? the way CM is growing within a couple of years people wil be saying its too close to town and while there are dogs thats a common problem in all but a few villages and the situatuion has improved dramatically. But the less people who move in the better for the rest of us that live here smile.png

I don't recall if anyone mentioned The Riverside condos. It's been a couple of years but I had no complaints. I liked the location.

I don't know the whole of the area at all, but I'll go there to land someplace next time while I look around. Maybe I just don't know better?

• Like 1

Nearly all villages charge for use of their pool. BWT is 30 baht which hardly breaks the bank or you can get a monthly ticket for 700b and swim as many times as you like per day.

That's hardly a great deal, being 23 days' worth, but yes most moobaans charge residents to swim (which is on top of the service charge) including L&H, though guests typically pay more.

agencies prices are inflated; but I find many if not all the rental signs in moo bans, including some you mention, refer back to these agencies. Is it possible to get a place in one of the better moobans and avoid the inflated agency prices - or are houses in these always routed through the agencies? I've got a 25k+ budget but want to pay a fair deal. Given that, and the fact that I have a car and time - would you say that the agencies are simply not worth my consulting and that I should rely only on driving around looking for rental signs?

That budget should get you a good house, even through an agency... you just have to negotiate and do the walkaway thing. It's been my experience that many places are not through agencies, but have a Thai with you/call for you. Rented a one-year-old place in L&H a few years back: 13k for farangs, 8k for Thais. The former is also the price through an agency.

I don't recall if anyone mentioned The Riverside condos. It's been a couple of years but I had no complaints. I liked the location.

I don't know the whole of the area at all, but I'll go there to land someplace next time while I look around. Maybe I just don't know better?

yup you don't know better go read the other thread on Riverside and the constant problems let alone the horrible location etc.

Ban Wangtan is tucked in off Hang Dong Rd, 3km SSE of CNX, almost behind Makro. Map: http://wikimapia.org...12&z=16&l=0&m=b

It's a large leafy development with many rentals in section 5 from ~ 8k p/m up. Average for a nice 2 or 3 bed single story on small plot is ~ 12k. Best to drive around and look for rental signs on gates. Took me 6 weeks before we found a suitable spacious house with BIG kitchen.

Lease normally ~12months although some landlords will negotiate. You pay water, security and power on top of rent, say 1,500 baht p/m.

PM if you want more info.

I honestly would give Baan Wang Tan a miss for a variety of reasons: too far out, full dogs, charge for swimming pool etc. etc. and way out where you want to be - IN town

Nearly all villages charge for use of their pool. BWT is 30 baht which hardly breaks the bank or you can get a monthly ticket for 700b and swim as many times as you like per day.Too far out? the way CM is growing within a couple of years people wil be saying its too close to town and while there are dogs thats a common problem in all but a few villages and the situatuion has improved dramatically. But the less people who move in the better for the rest of us that live here smile.png

its not a village as such as you pay 'common area fee' which, in my view, should include the pool - I lived there and liked some of it (people etc.) but hated lot's more (soi dogs, tired and worn-out restaurant, closed fitness center, no shop on-site etc. etc.) and the long, long ride back home to dimly (if at all) lit soi's from the center. So glad you enjoy living there thumbsup.gif and you are welcome to it wai2.gif

IF I was to buy another house one day I would choose a quality development like land and house with it's strict control of dogs, super security etc. but, of course, that does cost a lot more

See the thing about asking about property is like asking what is the best car, or Windows vs Apple. The answer of couse is the one I chose. Everyone needs to justify their decision to purchase so will obviously recommend what they bought. Often they are indeed very good, also often good for one person but not another. Most here used trial and error, in the end the OP will as well, as all things don't suit all people. I am not going to recommend my moobaan as I don't live in one, have done so before but don't see the need. I have commented this before but my expenses are electricity plus 20 baht per month for garbage as I have ground water. The Tessabaan cuts the weeds outside and does the smoke for mosquitos, all tree clippings are collected with the garbage every second day. The local village head drops by with discounts offerred by surrounding shops, she also sorts out immigration if they come out. Living Thai style is good, fear of Thais is just plain unfounded paranoia.

• Like 2

See the thing about asking about property is like asking what is the best car, or Windows vs Apple.

That's easy; if you don't know what you're doing go for the latter. whistling.gif

I like the sound of that though, paying a grand a month gets old after many years. Do you have bars on your windows?