Not Happy With Dtac Happy Spam Messages

bluegecko

I am in the same boat. Tired of every time checking a message to find DTAC spam. I just changed from 1-2 call and it wasn't as bad. I was going to go into their shop and see if I can get them to stop but sounds like nothing can be done.

Most Thais would enjoy it as they can then immediately stop what they are doing (ie walking, serving a customer etc), pull out their trendy phone, check what important message it is they are receiving and enhance whatever their perceived "Face" is.

• Like 2

This is bit like blaming the post office for delivering junk mail?

I assume these SMSes are coming from third parties rather than DTAC?

I have been a Happy (DTAC) customers for close to a year now. I do not receive any SMSes from third parties, I do receive one daily SMS from DTAC as part of my promotion, and I do receive SMSes when my 3G data plan re-ups.

As a One-2-Call (AIS), TrueMove, and TueMove H customer I seemed to receive third party SMSes frequently. I was a One-2-Call customer for 10 years.

Are you receiving SMSes from one or more third parties? I suspect they got your phone number from any number of sources. Personally I would contact the third parties and ask them to remove you from their distribution lists. If they are unresponsive I would continue to ask DTAC to allow you to block SMSes from these third parties.

Edited by lomatopo

I have a friend who was using AIS. He had the bad habit of allowing the Thai kids to use his phone. I think that's where his problem started. I'm not exaggerating when I say he was getting more than fifty Spam messages a day. I took his phone and called AIS. As usual, they apologized. I told AIS that they could eliminate the messages within three days or DTac was going to have a new customer. The messages stopped so that tells me that the networks CAN block the messages.

This is bit like blaming the post office for delivering junk mail?

I assume these SMSes are coming from third parties rather than DTAC?

I have been a Happy (DTAC) customers for close to a year now. I do not receive any SMSes from third parties, I do receive one daily SMS from DTAC as part of my promotion, and I do receive SMSes when my 3G data plan re-ups.

As a One-2-Call (AIS), TrueMove, and TueMove H customer I seemed to receive third party SMSes frequently. I was a One-2-Call customer for 10 years.

Are you receiving SMSes from one or more third parties? I suspect they got your phone number from any number of sources. Personally I would contact the third parties and ask them to remove you from their distribution lists. If they are unresponsive I would continue to ask DTAC to allow you to block SMSes from these third parties.

This is on the ball. The o/p needs to get a new phone number and limit its distribution or expect more SPAM if he/she cannot stop the spammers. Don't blame the messenger.

I have a friend who was using AIS. He had the bad habit of allowing the Thai kids to use his phone. I think that's where his problem started. I'm not exaggerating when I say he was getting more than fifty Spam messages a day. I took his phone and called AIS. As usual, they apologized. I told AIS that they could eliminate the messages within three days or DTac was going to have a new customer. The messages stopped so that tells me that the networks CAN block the messages.

+1 AIS will cease spam messages upon request to Call Center, can also go online to manage settings if you have monthly billing account.

Do not use your number when registering on the Internet for things, these records can be accessed. Also check service messages on your phone, and stop them.

DTAC cannot do anything, they go through DTAC, they cannot block it from your phone, they would have to block it from everyone's phone

Do not use your number when registering on the Internet for things, these records can be accessed. Also check service messages on your phone, and stop them.

DTAC cannot do anything, they go through DTAC, they cannot block it from your phone, they would have to block it from everyone's phone

Isn't the capability of the telecoms mobile providers dictated by the investment made for OSS/BSS software? Sounds like DTAC have not made the necessary investment

I also receive a lot spam from DTAC themself.

promotion call on your birthday, reward get 10 % discount on that, reward press that number and call the next day for free blablabla

very annoying....

• Like 1

I also receive a lot spam from DTAC themself.

promotion call on your birthday, reward get 10 % discount on that, reward press that number and call the next day for free blablabla

very annoying....

There must be a way to opt out of any DTAC-originated promotional messages as I have never received one, and I just checked with three colleagues on DTAC (two pre-paid, one post paid) and none of them have received DTAC promotional -SMSes.

AIS was OK, they would cease and desist on AIS-originated messages for a few months but then I would start getting them again. Re-requesting the opt out was always successful, albeit temporarily.

I am not certain any mobile provider can issue number-by-number (both originating and terminating) blocks unless the SMSes are advertising some sort of illegal activity. Obviously you do not want to block all SMSes, so in theory you would have to build a database with blocked originating numbers, then have the system do a look-up, and then pass or discard the SMS. This seems like it might get unmanageable quickly?

I guess it would help if the OP could share one or more of the SMSes so we can determine who originated them.

Additionally I might take note of the originating numbers, and the text, and forward those to DTAC via email, requesting advice on eliminating them.

Anyone you have ever called has your number of course. And, assuming you require a call back, anyone you've given your number to also (obviously) has it. Anybody who has your number can of course provide it to third parties for telemarketing-related activities.

Edited by lomatopo

Aggravates the hell out of me. I had much less spam with AIS, but no signal from them where I live now. I would rate DTAC head and shoulders above AIS except for tow things: (1) Excess spam; and (2) having to pay for the call when I am forced to call DTAC customer service to renew a promotion or report a problem -- should be no charge. True, quite simply, sucks.

If you have a Nokia you can buy a Spam blocker from the Ovi store. (SMS Spam Killer). I think I paid 63 baht for it and it works great. No such luck for my Android phone. I have tried a number of apps and none work very well.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Nobody but Microsoft (needed to confirm some accounts) has my Dtac number because I do not use it at all but I receive SMS spam all day long, so I am 100% sure that they come from Dtac or a company to which Dtac sells the numbers list.

I was able to optout from AIS spam on my main number that I use everyday so I will try to send an Email as someone put a link here (thank you).

If you want to send them a message in Thai language ou can also write this:
ช่วยยกเลิก sms ประชาสัมพันธ์ทุกอย่าง ผมอ่านภาษาไทยไม่ได้ และไม่ต้องการรับข่าวสารใดๆทั้งสิ้น ขอบคุณครับ
Edited by bangkokstick

Got reply today from this email address [email protected] :

Dear Customer,

As you had requested to cancel advertising SMS from outsource providers for the phone number

xxxxxx, we had already cancelled all advertisement services. However, we cannot block advertisement

from all sources, for instance, SMS from financial institutes or banks, insurance companies and department

stores. If you still receive SMS from those sources mentioned before, you may need to contact them directly.

Best regards,

Kassirin Sombathom

E-service unit

CRAZY ! It't them who gave my numbers to other bxtches and they cannot tell them to stop ???

I know everyone naturally assumes that service providers sell their customer lists, even though this makes absolutely no sense.

Mobile service providers try to reduce churn, and would not risk losing customers by selling their phone number, which might allow a competitor to snatch them away. And everyone knows that SPAM p*sses customers off.

Typically, you are getting SPAM because you've provided your phone number to any number of people, government entities or commercial enterprises, who then have allowed your number to leak into the public domain.

A service provider cannot block an SMS, unless there is reason to suspect illegal activity.

You should contact the b*tches who are sending you SMSes and ask them to remove your number from their list. Failing that, you can get a new number, and make sure you never give it to anyone.

Yes it is such an annoying problem. I have visited different Dtac shops several times already and asked them if there was a way to stop these pathetic promotion messages. They said yes sure then they asked for my phone number. It was written down and that was it. So I asked them, that's it? They always said the same..yes you are not going to receive them anymore. Needless to say I am blessed with those irritating messages to this day. I have actually noticed that since I went to the shop to talk to them in person, and my number was taken I swear I receive even more. I guess they are like: oh another complaining farang. Lets ask for his number and sign him up for a bit more promotion. I don't see any other explanation for why I get more of this stuff since they asked for my number. When I was a kid my mom told me not to give my number to strangers but I didnt know that giving my number to my own service provider is asking for disaster as well. I am a peaceful man but these messages instantly bring the worst out of me. And yes they are 3rd party messages but Dtac is the middleman. If it didnt want to, these messages would never reach their customers.

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

Edited by A1Str8

• 2 weeks later...

When I left to return to the states back in March I was getting a fairly steady trickle of these (DTAC Smart Happy sim), but since returning recently and putting the phone back on I did not start getting them again as expected. Getting none at the moment. Having your phone offline for an extended period of time (a few months at least) seems to kill off the spams...

I know everyone naturally assumes that service providers sell their customer lists, even though this makes absolutely no sense.

Mobile service providers try to reduce churn, and would not risk losing customers by selling their phone number, which might allow a competitor to snatch them away. And everyone knows that SPAM p*sses customers off.

Typically, you are getting SPAM because you've provided your phone number to any number of people, government entities or commercial enterprises, who then have allowed your number to leak into the public domain.

A service provider cannot block an SMS, unless there is reason to suspect illegal activity.

You should contact the b*tches who are sending you SMSes and ask them to remove your number from their list. Failing that, you can get a new number, and make sure you never give it to anyone.

Ridiculous.

I have a number that NOBODY has and nobody ever called me on this number but still, I am spammed.