Apple Macbook Etc Consultant/Helper In Cnx?

triffid

I've had a 4-year old black Macbook, and I just bought a Macbook Pro 15" (not Retina). I also have a Time Machine and a Samsung wifi all-in-one printer etc.

Thanks to the Apple shop's worse than useless 'expertise' I'm in a position that by opening up the new Macbook they have deprived me of the Set Up Assistant which apparently would have taken me through a simple data transfer procedure. Anyway I'm now floundering as to getting my stuff transferred, and the new Macbook set up with my wifi, printer and time machine. I am useless with all this to begin with - just want it all working smoothly for my simple purposes.

I need an Apple aficionado who will come to me and get it all working, and I'm prepared to pay for this of course. Does anyone know someone (with some english) who might provide this service? I'd be really grateful.

(I did find an ad of a thai man offering to fix computers but when I rang him he admits he's au fait with pc s not mac).

It is possible to run the Setup Assistant again, but the easiest way for you to do what you want is to use Migration Assistant. You can find this in the Utilities folder on your Mac. Hope this helps.

Thank you. I'll look with a view to giving it a shot - but if it looks any harder than a, b, c - which is the limit of my technical capability I'll probably stop in case I bugger up the system.

I've just had my iMac formatted ( by the Mac shop- my OS stopped) and have had to reinstall everything. Do you have a back up? time machine/copy clone/ If so the job is a lot easier, but it has still taken me about a week to recover.

If you still have serious problems PM me and I'll try to help. No wizz kid, know somethings and reasonably competent

• Like 1

I have a problem with my isight (camera) it does not work so i went along to the mac shop in ksk he said i need a new screen I was like no it's a software problem he said no i am sure it is a hardware problem i said ok i don't have (xxxx) amount of baht at this moment so i went outside played around with it for a while i logged into boot camp on windows and my camera works straight away so i went straight back in there and said look it's not a hardware problem he said i need to reload the software so i upgraded to lion but i still have the same problem i just have not got round to buying a new hard drive to back up my stuff on time machine so every time i want to speak on Skype i have to log into windows , when i use windows on parallels it does not work i posted this in the computer forum with no response maybe i will have to pop into the mac cafe .

Mac shop in Central KSK final verdict USELESSSSSSSSSS .

When i had my mac in the uk the service was top notch oh well i know TIT.

I have a problem with my isight (camera) it does not work so i went along to the mac shop in ksk he said i need a new screen I was like no it's a software problem he said no i am sure it is a hardware problem i said ok i don't have (xxxx) amount of baht at this moment so i went outside played around with it for a while i logged into boot camp on windows and my camera works straight away so i went straight back in there and said look it's not a hardware problem he said i need to reload the software so i upgraded to lion but i still have the same problem i just have not got round to buying a new hard drive to back up my stuff on time machine so every time i want to speak on Skype i have to log into windows , when i use windows on parallels it does not work i posted this in the computer forum with no response maybe i will have to pop into the mac cafe .

Yes I agree and can only repeat that the Maczone shops are "worse than useless". I also agree that every apple shop I've used in America or London was great. Apple should be alerted to this - after all Chiangmai is a major city of Thailand after Bangkok. Can't believe Bkk shops would be this bad.

I've just had my iMac formatted ( by the Mac shop- my OS stopped) and have had to reinstall everything. Do you have a back up? time machine/copy clone/ If so the job is a lot easier, but it has still taken me about a week to recover.

If you still have serious problems PM me and I'll try to help. No wizz kid, know somethings and reasonably competent

Actually I just sent you a PM

Could be one of several problems. Application specific, user specific, hardware problem, or your SMC could need resetting.

Obviously, in your case it's not hardware specific. Which application(s) are you trying to use it with? Check to see if it's not recognised in another application, for example, if it's not working in iChat, check it with PhotoBooth. If it's not working with both, and if you have multiple users on your computer, try logging in on a different user account and test the camera. Sometimes the issue is isolated to user settings.

If none of these are the case, resetting your SMC will usually resolve the issue. The SMC, or System Management Controller, controls many low-level functions on Intel-based Macs, and resetting it can resolve a number of issues. It is a very easy process, but so little known that shops can and do charge you a lot for doing it (while saying they've done a heap of work to fix your problem).

The following is the SMC reset procedure for MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC, this is normal.

• Like 1

Since you just bought it, it is covered under warranty and you can get on the phone to a toll free number and talk to a Mac tech in Singapore who will talk you through what you need to do for free. The Singapore and Hong Kong techs are good. Just call the Mac service number and you get BKK, tell them you want to talk to a Singapore tech because you need someone with excellent English, they will give you the toll free number.

Edited by Dante99
  • Like 1

Tried all them before with no luck my warranty ran out over a year ago so no such luck there but when i logged in to windows with parallels it said there was no drivers for the cam so does anyone know where i can download the drivers for the cam i have searched google already with no such luck.

Since you just bought it, it is covered under warranty and you can get on the phone to a toll free number and talk to a Mac tech in Singapore who will talk you through what you need to do for free. The Singapore and Hong Kong techs are good. Just call the Mac service number and you get BKK, tell them you want to talk to a Singapore tech because you need someone with excellent English, they will give you the toll free number.

The latest situation is this. I kicked up a fuss at the shop whereupon they transferred the data overnight, using they said a firewire connexion. I subsequently found i was having a problem with itunes in the new Macbook. Their repair (Applecare) shop thinks maybe there was a system or data defect in the old Mac which has transferred to the new one. They say they will try to fix that, so tomorrow i will take the new Macbook and my Time to them. I hope they'll resolve the problem. If not i will, as you suggest, go to Apple. As it happens I'm probably going to London in a few weeks so if the telephone service doesn't work i can go to one of the London Apple shop.

they can't do shlt when warranty ran out, both branches in airport and ksk. when its within warranty, they simply just change a new refurbish set for you. you might need to do a search, i could vaguely remember one thread that recommend a computer tech here in cm, i got my ibook fixed there.