Mike Burger

mic6ard

It used to be a franchise so, of course, if it still is then it could be only one of the locations that is on the market. I think the original "Mike" sold up a few years back and is no longer invovled. Doubt if he is going anywhere soon,

and the answerer is yes.

http://classifieds.t...ale-172723.html

Doesn't really say which franchise is for sale just says three of them are for sale.

'All of the Restaurants is in prime locations, Nimmanheimen RD, Shopping Mall (central-Kad Suan Kaew) and JJ Market.'

I.e. the ones on Loi Kroh and corner of Chang Moi/Moat are not included.

/ Priceless

And who says; that tourism is booming in Chiang Mai?

The town is virtually being closed down. I know of 5 guesthouse and 7 massage parlour owners who are desperate to sell, but it seems no one is interested with becoming involved in the Chiang Mai social and entertainments businesses anymore.

Who`s next, I wonder?

• Like 1

This is not Alaska and I think most people who had not crunched their numbers well realized that 3 months of heavy season will not support you for the rest of the 9 months

Ditto for the massage shops and all touristy stuff ...

Hotel trades are banding up for a new move ...it's not going to make everyone happy but expect to see more signs in Chinese

• Like 1

The town is virtually being closed down. I know of 5 guesthouse and 7 massage parlour owners who are desperate to sell, but it seems no one is interested with becoming involved in the Chiang Mai social and entertainments businesses anymore.

Who`s next, I wonder?

You are mistaken if you believe Chiang Mai exists only on tourism. Never forget that 99% of the population is Thai and like everyone else in the world they buy goods and like to go out to restaurants. As an example my Thai wife likes to take me to Thai restaurants that cater to the Thai population. One of the restaurants that she has taken to twice in the last 2 months is a buffet style restaurant on Huay Gaew road( I probably spelled that wrong) It is located behind Hillside 4 condo and the restaurant seats 2000 people on both occasions it was completely full with a waiting line when we left. The only farang face I saw was my own. Another place she has taken me to many many times is always 100% full no matter what night we go and I have yet to see another farang there.

I think Beetlejuice has hit the nail on the head. This city is not the same as it was 5+ years ago.I can remember walking down Loi Khro Road quite late at night and it was very busy.After a gut full of booze I would go to Mikes for a burger to give me the power for what I was going to do later

I think Beetlejuice has hit the nail on the head. This city is not the same as it was 5+ years ago.I can remember walking down Loi Khro Road quite late at night and it was very busy.After a gut full of booze I would go to Mikes for a burger to give me the power for what I was going to do later

It's a bit early to write off Chiang Mai just yet. Loi Krog rd has never been 'very busy' at the end of August. This is the low season. If people are trying to sell businesses at the end of February, you'll know things are not well! Also, in case you hadn't noticed, there's a world recession going on and money is a bit tight. For us, the low season has been fairly good so far, we're surviving by putting on lots of promotions- if you read the British newspapers that's what everyone back home is doing. The various franchises of mikes burgers have been sold several times. businesses change hands frequently here.

WOW, if you read the AD of the Mikes for sale the PROFIT was only 600,000 baht for the year with 3 resturants... that's only $20,000 a year or $384.00 per week in profit... can you imagine all the pain in the ass to have that many employees and only earn $384.00 profit per week.

Note to self.... NEVER open a Resturant.

OldeBellPedr...Yes I have noticed that there is a world recession and I can remember walking down Loi Khro Road many times and it was very busy.What I am saying is that there does not seem to me to be many tourists in CM nowadays.Mikes burgers were /are a late night scoffing place for people who are too late to enjoy your good food.

Who`s next, I wonder?

You are mistaken if you believe Chiang Mai exists only on tourism. Never forget that 99% of the population is Thai and like everyone else in the world they buy goods and like to go out to restaurants. As an example my Thai wife likes to take me to Thai restaurants that cater to the Thai population. One of the restaurants that she has taken to twice in the last 2 months is a buffet style restaurant on Huay Gaew road( I probably spelled that wrong) It is located behind Hillside 4 condo and the restaurant seats 2000 people on both occasions it was completely full with a waiting line when we left. The only farang face I saw was my own. Another place she has taken me to many many times is always 100% full no matter what night we go and I have yet to see another farang there.

I never said that.

I was referring to those businesses that directly relate to tourist services or rely on mostly tourists and regular ex-pat customers for they’re livelihoods.

Over the years these have been slowly eroded or driven out of business by being encumbered with restrictions and harassments by the authorities, leaving virtually nothing left, plus there are no more licenses being issued for any new projects, so whatever goes will not be replaced and all this has a knock on affect to the existing businesses.

Some years ago the Loi Kroh Road (my favourite subject and which winds a few posters up, names I won’t mention) was only a small part of what was available as nightly entertainments in Chiang Mai. These days there is virtually nothing else, for what’s left of it and even that’s on borrowed time.

The facts and what we witness with our own eyes speak for themselves; Chiang Mai is no longer in the top leagues of tourist destinations and that`s going to decline even more in the foreseeable future.

And I’ll say it again; NO, I won’t F/off and go somewhere else, as I actually like it here, but it is starting to get a bit boring. At least I’m saving money by having to spend more time on the computer and in the garden.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Who`s next, I wonder?

I never said that.

I was referring to those businesses that directly relate to tourist services or rely on mostly tourists and regular ex-pat customers for they’re livelihoods.

Over the years these have been slowly eroded or driven out of business by being encumbered with restrictions and harassments by the authorities, leaving virtually nothing left, plus there are no more licenses being issued for any new projects, so whatever goes will not be replaced and all this has a knock on affect to the existing businesses.

Some years ago the Loi Kroh Road (my favourite subject and which winds a few posters up, names I won’t mention) was only a small part of what was available as nightly entertainments in Chiang Mai. These days there is virtually nothing else, for what’s left of it and even that’s on borrowed time.

The facts and what we witness with our own eyes speak for themselves; Chiang Mai is no longer in the top leagues of tourist destinations and that`s going to decline even more in the foreseeable future.

And I’ll say it again; NO, I won’t F/off and go somewhere else, as I actually like it here, but it is starting to get a bit boring. At least I’m saving money by having to spend more time on the computer and in the garden.

Well maybe its a good thing that Chiang Mai is no longer in the top leagues of tourism.. Then perhaps we will not end up with the reputation of Phuket and Pattaya.
  • Like 1

Hellodolly,,,Hello did you read my post? I did not mention, so called sex tourists,I said that Loi Khro was I lot quieter now and there are few late night places to go for a grease burger when all the bars are shut.It is still a shame that Dukes Burgers are now closed.

Who`s next, I wonder?

I never said that.

Well maybe its a good thing that Chiang Mai is no longer in the top leagues of tourism.. Then perhaps we will not end up with the reputation of Phuket and Pattaya.

Heard all this before and I respect that everyone has their own opinions and types of lifestyle.

Chiang Mai never did have a reputation on the scale of Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya, but it still used to be fun, plus the adult and tourist entertainment sectors of Chiang Mai were never in your face and it was possible to tour the city without seeing any of that stuff, unless actually going to specific locations to find it.

I just see Mike’s Burgers as another victim of all the puritan beaurocacy that’s been hitting Chiang Mai with a vengeance over the years. I still enjoy my wine, women and song but now so it seems, I and many like me who enjoy social no longer have the choice up here in the North and if those that make the decisions believe that the eradication of a big part of the tourist venues in Chiang Mai will have little affects on peoples livelihoods, than quite frankly I don’t see the logic.

I rather suspect that most of this is political and that there are some in between the lines reasons for these maladroit type policies.

OldeBellPedr...Yes I have noticed that there is a world recession and I can remember walking down Loi Khro Road many times and it was very busy.What I am saying is that there does not seem to me to be many tourists in CM nowadays.Mikes burgers were /are a late night scoffing place for people who are too late to enjoy your good food.

You are making a typical mistake. You are judging Tourism inChiang Mai by the number of sex tourists and drinkers.

Chiang Mai is alive and well there are a heck of a lot of tourists. The difference is they don't hang out in bars so you never see them.Just go sit in a coffee shop in the old city and watch you will see lots of tourists. I have seen many pairs and groups of women. They did not come to Thailand to sit in a bar. Walk down the Night Bazaar there are lots of people. And this is the low season. There are families touring now. The back packers are still coming but maybe they are looking for a little better than 200 baht a night guest house. I saw a group of 4 back packers today eating at Butter is Better They are not all coming here just for the sex and booze. It was two couples who had motor bikes.

As has been said on another thread out of 5 Mikes franchisees three re for sale. The One on Loi Khro and the one on the moat are not for sale it is the other three. Funny the one's not for sale are located in the tourist area's.

I think perhaps you are right. I have also noticed many groups of women, couples and families. Lets face it the deaths of the 2 young girls from Quebec and the Australian lady don't just make the headlines in Thailand but around the world. When I look at the travel advisory from my government they mention caution when travelling to the south of Thailand and Phuket. If I was a tourist I would not want to take my family to these areas. It is quite obvious that a family is not going to go out for a swinging time at the local bar. However maybe Dukes and Butter is better will benefit from a change of the type of tourist that comes to Chiang Mai.

There are plenty of tourists, but very few are spending money outside of Thai noodle stands and the like. Other than a few places like the Duke's and Marco's (where somewhat affluent expats hang out) the other restaurants that used to be filled every single night are usually close to empty most of the year and not all that busy during much of high season.

Sleep?

Some years ago the Loi Kroh Road was only a small part of what was available as nightly entertainments in Chiang Mai. These days there is virtually nothing else, for what’s left of it and even that’s on borrowed time.

There you go again with your negative and warped view of things. You just don't know where to go. There are plenty of places to go at night and find whatever it is you are looking for. Maybe get out a bit more often and have a look.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

I think HelloDolly nailed the incongruities in this thread pretty well.

Within "Chiang Mai Tourism," sex-tourism from "bona fide" tourists (from other countries) is a minor player economically, and, within Chiang Mai, sex-business income from resident farangs, aging sexpats who need a stomach full of burger before they half-do half-whatever with whoever-they-will-soon-not-remember, is an even lesser factor.

Loi Kraw's little (150 meters ?) zone of demi-mondaine, is, economically, a pimple on the elephant's derriere of real Chiang Mai tourism, from both Thais and farangs, and non-Thai Asians.

Clearly other types of farang businesses are doing well here, throughout the year, such as Olde Belle, Marco's, Butter is Better, Duke's, etc.

We are now still very much in the low-season for "real" from-outside-Thailand tourists, although typically these rainy-season months, in the past, have seen special groups here: for example, young Israelis taking a holiday before their compulsory military service. My impression is that the hot pre-rainy season months get a lot of Gulf Arab tourists, but I have no statistics to back that up.

A worrisome factor is the extent to which the social red/yellow violence in previous years here during the true high-season, and the never ending scandals in Phuket, the deaths by mysterious poisonings, stabbings of visiting travel agent, etc. have gotten world-wide attention: will that affect future high-season tourism ?

I had two American friends here who were trapped three (was it four ?) years ago, unable to get out of Phuket to catch their flight home from Suvarnabhumi because the airport was shut down by politics: did that make them reluctant to return here: yes !

Chiang Mai tourism by non-Thai Asians is probably just as important right now, and in the future, will increase in importance. And, the limnal rites, Loy Krathong aka Yi Peng, and Songkraan, draw an amazing number of Thais from all over the country, creating a substantial economic input.

Chiang Mai tourism is not all about "us" (expat farangs from America, England, Europe).

~o:37;

• Like 1

There are plenty of tourists, but very few are spending money outside of Thai noodle stands and the like. Other than a few places like the Duke's and Marco's (where somewhat affluent expats hang out) the other restaurants that used to be filled every single night are usually close to empty most of the year and not all that busy during much of high season.

Your post reads as if you are talking about "farang" in the central city area.

You are correct there are plenty of tourists and this August i have had a turnover equal to the Dec/Jan/Feb months...but they are not farangs, the big spenders are Thais, Japs, chinese and koreans.

Now either I have been very lucky; or developing my business very nicely or maybe because I heeded the best piece of advice I received 2yr ago which was "dont take on a business in the city centre catering for backpackers and dependant on tourists; set up in the more affluent area of Nimmen where the high rollers , and would be hiso's hang out."

Yes tourists are so important, but I think the Asian tourists are not as affected by world economies as western tourists.

You have to diversify surely to attract new trade, and could it be that many foody businesses are up against too much competition and not enough customers. Just look around the city now and see the bandwagon everyone is jumping on....beauty clinics, botox, skin whitening, collagen replacement, eyebrows, noses, chins.

How about liposuction for farangs?

good luck everyone if you have business here, hang in there, dont get dispondant, the city will develop further but maybe in a slightly different direction, buts thats down to us.