Mike Burger

mic6ard

WOW, if you read the AD of the Mikes for sale the PROFIT was only 600,000 baht for the year with 3 resturants... that's only $20,000 a year or $384.00 per week in profit... can you imagine all the pain in the ass to have that many employees and only earn $384.00 profit per week.

Note to self.... NEVER open a Resturant.

Note to yourself learn mathematics!

• Like 1

OldeBellPedr...Yes I have noticed that there is a world recession and I can remember walking down Loi Khro Road many times and it was very busy.What I am saying is that there does not seem to me to be many tourists in CM nowadays.Mikes burgers were /are a late night scoffing place for people who are too late to enjoy your good food.

You are making a typical mistake. You are judging Tourism inChiang Mai by the number of sex tourists and drinkers.

Chiang Mai is alive and well there are a heck of a lot of tourists. The difference is they don't hang out in bars so you never see them.Just go sit in a coffee shop in the old city and watch you will see lots of tourists. I have seen many pairs and groups of women. They did not come to Thailand to sit in a bar. Walk down the Night Bazaar there are lots of people. And this is the low season. There are families touring now. The back packers are still coming but maybe they are looking for a little better than 200 baht a night guest house. I saw a group of 4 back packers today eating at Butter is Better They are not all coming here just for the sex and booze. It was two couples who had motor bikes.

As has been said on another thread out of 5 Mikes franchisees three re for sale. The One on Loi Khro and the one on the moat are not for sale it is the other three. Funny the one's not for sale are located in the tourist area's.

Agree. I was just talking to some friends the other day about how many darn tourists were in town even though this is supposed to be the slow season! (I realize tourism is good for the economy and all that, but I can do with less)

I hope no one is suggesting that the economy is going down the sh*tter because of Mike Burger's demise. Are you kidding me? I love a good burger, but Mike's is average at best. And the one on Nimmanheimen is not what I would call a good location. It's at the far edge of the action and no parking. The popular places, e.g., Dukes, Mo Z Mo L, Fuji's, etc, still pack em in pretty routinely. So I'm not sure what the naysayers are talking about.

WOW, if you read the AD of the Mikes for sale the PROFIT was only 600,000 baht for the year with 3 resturants... that's only $20,000 a year or $384.00 per week in profit... can you imagine all the pain in the ass to have that many employees and only earn $384.00 profit per week.

That is after you have paid your self a decent wage. Plus free Hamburgers and French Fries.

I can imagine the trouble getting that many staff as a lot of the people just quit for no reason. Some are surprised that you want them to actually do some thing. Not always that easy to get decent staff here in Chiang Mai.

That was part of the problem with opening the Dukes franchise that has sense folded. They were ready long before they could get staff and the staff needed training.

I see where he was wrong, it's actually $384.61 per week not $384.00. wink.png Or are you complaining that the exchange rate is 31+ rather than 30 so he is in error there? Or am I missing something else?

• Like 1

I was there last December and Loi Kroh was heaving each night. Not heaving like walking st or cowboy but busy enough to the point where all bars had some sort of vibe going on. I've no idea how comparable that was to previous years but I loved my time in CM and not just messing around on Loi Kroh at night. Generally I like all the national parks, temples and things and I'm coming back to do it all again in a few months. Well maybe not all the same things but some of them yes as well as others I didn't get round to last time.

Note to self.... NEVER open a Restaurant.

the kad suan kaew location was always dead, and after trying them once i understand why. The nimanheimin branch has a thai clientelle and is so so for revenue, never even seen the JJ location.

with 5 burger joints potentially shutting down, now would be a good time for 1 and just one superb place to open.

The Mike's Burger location by the moat might be closing because their food is, in my experience, unsanitary and the worst hamburger I think I have ever eaten in my life.

Perhaps things were different in the past, but the last time I ate there I got food poisoning and could not believe that the material served was being passed off as a hamburger. If unclean food and remarkably bad flavor is the Mike's business model, it is no wonder they are having to pull up anchor.

with 5 burger joints potentially shutting down, now would be a good time for 1 and just one superb place to open.

The Easy Diner, run by p1p about 10 or 15 years ago, met that criteria IMO, but did not do good business because it was slightly more expensive than other, far inferior, Western restaurants at the time. It would have been a real success when foreign restaurants in CM finally started getting better and more expensive.

Mike's Burgers used to be pretty good when MIke ran ii, but that was years ago.

the kad suan kaew location was always dead, and after trying them once i understand why. The nimanheimin branch has a thai clientelle and is so so for revenue, never even seen the JJ location.

I'm sure those that have closed, considered themselves to be superb.

I see where he was wrong, it's actually $384.61 per week not $384.00. wink.png Or are you complaining that the exchange rate is 31+ rather than 30 so he is in error there? Or am I missing something else?

600,000 revenue per year divided by 3 restaurants is 200,000 per restaurant in my maths or 3,846.15 per week not 384.61, so yes I think you missed something else. It's still not a great income even at a net rate.

600,000 revenue per year divided by 3 restaurants is 200,000 per restaurant in my maths or 3,846.15 per week not 384.61, so yes I think you missed something else. It's still not a great income even at a net rate.

He is posting in US dollars for the weekly rate for all 3 restaurants combined and not baht and as such he is correct. 3,846.15/30 * 3 = 384.61 Baht/week

The Easy Diner, run by p1p about 10 or 15 years ago, met that criteria IMO, but did not do good business because it was slightly more expensive than other, far inferior, Western restaurants at the time. It would have been a real success when foreign restaurants in CM finally started getting better and more expensive.

Mike's Burgers used to be pretty good when MIke ran ii, but that was years ago.

Yes, the onion rings were superb.

And who says; that tourism is booming in Chiang Mai?

The town is virtually being closed down. I know of 5 guesthouse and 7 massage parlour owners who are desperate to sell, but it seems no one is interested with becoming involved in the Chiang Mai social and entertainments businesses anymore.

Who`s next, I wonder?

You are mistaken if you believe Chiang Mai exists only on tourism. Never forget that 99% of the population is Thai and like everyone else in the world they buy goods and like to go out to restaurants. As an example my Thai wife likes to take me to Thai restaurants that cater to the Thai population. One of the restaurants that she has taken to twice in the last 2 months is a buffet style restaurant on Huay Gaew road( I probably spelled that wrong) It is located behind Hillside 4 condo and the restaurant seats 2000 people on both occasions it was completely full with a waiting line when we left. The only farang face I saw was my own. Another place she has taken me to many many times is always 100% full no matter what night we go and I have yet to see another farang there.

over the years ive been to this resturant many times,and ive always been amazed at the number of thais using it,and how very few farang go there,and even with a price increase of over 50% its still very very busy,it is good value for your money though.

I think Beetlejuice has hit the nail on the head. This city is not the same as it was 5+ years ago.I can remember walking down Loi Khro Road quite late at night and it was very busy.After a gut full of booze I would go to Mikes for a burger to give me the power for what I was going to do later

Sleep?

propaly something to(spice) up the night.
  • Like 1

The town is virtually being closed down. I know of 5 guesthouse and 7 massage parlour owners who are desperate to sell, but it seems no one is interested with becoming involved in the Chiang Mai social and entertainments businesses anymore.

Who`s next, I wonder?

You are mistaken if you believe Chiang Mai exists only on tourism. Never forget that 99% of the population is Thai and like everyone else in the world they buy goods and like to go out to restaurants. As an example my Thai wife likes to take me to Thai restaurants that cater to the Thai population. One of the restaurants that she has taken to twice in the last 2 months is a buffet style restaurant on Huay Gaew road( I probably spelled that wrong) It is located behind Hillside 4 condo and the restaurant seats 2000 people on both occasions it was completely full with a waiting line when we left. The only farang face I saw was my own. Another place she has taken me to many many times is always 100% full no matter what night we go and I have yet to see another farang there.

over the years ive been to this resturant many times,and ive always been amazed at the number of thais using it,and how very few farang go there,and even with a price increase of over 50% its still very very busy,it is good value for your money though.

ฺำำBeen many times but I always see at least 60-70 or more farangs eating there at any given time. Great value IMHO.

I've been to Mike's on Loi Kroh, on the moat, at KSK, and on Nimmanhaemin, and wasn't impressed with anything I was served.

Any true burger lover who hasn't visited Fatimah inside Charoen Prathet Soi 1 (across from the mosque in the Night Bazaar) has missed the boat. Sony's supply lines are a bit spotty (don't come too early, or there won't be any fries), but he makes the best burger in Chiang Mai.

Sahara has also dished up a couple of good ones, but not in a league with Sony's.

As for mourning the passing of the tourist trade in CM, none of the Thais I know in service businesses is complaining. They were last year.

Who`s next, I wonder?

ฺำำBeen many times but I always see at least 60-70 or more farangs eating there at any given time. Great value IMHO.

sorry mate you have got the wrong place there,or less there has been a dramatic change or the are bussing them in from somewere,i dont think ive seen 70 tourists in one place in chaing mai ever,and certinally not at that barbacue place.

CLOSE THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!! BAN THE BURGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!neus.gif

Haven't they done that in France after the Yanks banned French Fries and called them 'Freedom Fries" ( how naaf!)?

ZoomButt.gif

Edited by msg362

I'm sure those that have closed, considered themselves to be superb.

LOL...aint that the truth.

Maybe McDonalds got the BiB to shake down the competition with the opening of the new store.ph34r.png