Thai Garlic - Tiny Cloves?!

sonic_11uk

There's a range of types of garlic available here. Most common is the garlic imported from China. Its looks very similar to garlic in Europe, though the cloves are possibly a little harder, and the flavour isn't quite as strong in my opinion. The cloves aren't small, though. Because the Chinese garlic is cheaper than Thai garlic it's displaced Thai garlic to a significant extent.

Then there's Thai garlic traditionally used for cooking. The cloves are smaller, and quite hard.

Finally, there's Thai pickling garlic. Again, small cloves, and very hard.

For western food, the Chinese garlic is undoubtedly the best, and not difficult to peel. For Thai food, then use Thai garlic, and don't peel it - Thai people don't, they believe the oils in the skin add an extra sweetness to the food.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do what the Thais do. Smash them and don't peel. Fried or boiled you can eat it all.

I don't peel the small ones, just smash em. You can get big ones easily, I think they are all imported, that's what the Thai ladies say anyway thumbsup.gif

My wife swears by the tiny cloves......buys them at Makro where she can pick and choose the ones she wants.

Last time I had a bad earache, she peeled a clove, split it into fifths, smashed a fifth on the counter with a knive, then lapped up the juice with a small wad of cotton. Put it in my ear......yes it burned a bit....but the next day the earache was gone.

I grow my own garlic once I find one I like. Each clove will grow. I just have to remember which end is up as I break the cloves from the bulb, and plant twice as deep as the length of the clove. I use a bulb planter "drill bit" on my cordless drill to dig the holes and I'm golden. I actually bought that drill attachment for daffodils, but it works great for any bulb.

My wife swears by the tiny cloves......buys them at Makro where she can pick and choose the ones she wants.

Last time I had a bad earache, she peeled a clove, split it into fifths, smashed a fifth on the counter with a knive, then lapped up the juice with a small wad of cotton. Put it in my ear......yes it burned a bit....but the next day the earache was gone.

25yrs ago i visited my wf's grandparents,i was always feeling weak and rundown the heat and humidity,her grandfather gave me a bottle of honey with them small garlic cloves in told me to take 2table-spoons twice a day with 1 clove of galic,did it work you bet talk about an aphrodisiac i soon doubled the dosebiggrin.png