Mexican Police Fire On U.S. Diplomatic Vehicle, Injuring 2

News_Editor

Mexican police fire on U.S. diplomatic vehicle, injuring 2 < br />

2012-08-26 09:25:07 GMT+7 (ICT)

MEXICO CITY (BNO NEWS) -- Federal police opened fire at a U.S. diplomatic vehicle in central Mexico on Friday morning, injuring two U.S. government personnel and a Mexican Navy captain, local authorities said. The reason for the attack was not immediately known.

The incident happened shortly after 8 a.m. local time when federal police officers in several vehicles opened fire at an SUV with diplomatic license plates on the Mexico-Cuernavaca highway near Tres Marias, about 75 kilometers (46 miles) south of Mexico City.

"The vehicle attempted to escape, was pursued and sustained heavy damage," a statement from the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City said. "They called for assistance from the Mexican armed forces, who responded. The Government of Mexico has acknowledged that members of the Federal Police were involved and fired on the U.S. Embassy vehicle."

Investigators from Mexico's Attorney General's Office said the officers fired at least 30 gunshots at the vehicle, but it remains unclear why they opened fire. The Mexican Navy said the federal police officers who were in at least four police vehicles were conducting anti-crime operations.

The U.S. vehicle was en-route to a training facility of the Mexican Navy and was carrying at least six people. "The two U.S. wounded personnel were taken from the scene, given medical treatment and are in stable condition," the U.S. Embassy statement said. "The Mexican Navy captain sustained no serious injuries."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-08-26

I went to Tijuana once. And it was after two trips to Thailand. My friend had been several times and gave me good advance information on the differences. While I enjoyed the experience, I have not been back to TJ, and I am working very close to San Diego and the Mexican border. I much prefer Thailand.