Latest Rules For Cat O - Proof Of Funds

I just know you're all waiting to find out what happened next......

Armed with the news that I could get a cat O extension based on family, I returned to Phuket immigration armed with birth certificates and proof of income over 10 x the required amount.

No says the officer (inspector)! I can only claim for a dependeant child IF I have no dependent wife. I must either show 400,000 for at least two months or divorce my wife.

Now I've been tempted to divorce my dear wife on many occassions but NOT to satisfy some arcane visa regulation.

I left thinking two words: hole and arse.

I have since travelled to Singapore and got a new one year muliple entry Cat O without difficulty.

I will NEVER even consider going to an immigration office in Thailand. Frankly it is too demeaning. I am entirely happy to escape to Singapore or Macao or HK or......for a break every 90 days.

I am looking at extending my one-year Type O-A, multiple entry visa this month, September, in Chiang Mai.

In perusing the posts here by Senior Member and Mario and others I seem to understand that I could easily go to KL and get an actual one-year visa there - for Thailand, with proof that I have 100,000 b in my Thai bank account. Is this true - it is easier to get the visa in Malaysia than to get an extension in Thailand.?

Another question: I went across the Khong River to visit Lao in Feb. and the Thai officials took away my Departure Card when I left and gave me a new one when came back with a Departure Date for Feb., 2013. . So does this affect my original Departure date of SEpt., 2012, which I got in BKK when I arrived in country in Sept, 2011??

That one-year date for the one-year visa overrides the new date on the Departure Card, right?

As you have been told any entry on a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa gets a new one year permitted to stay. So your trip in Feb gets you a stay until Feb 2013 so you can not apply for extension inside Thailand until January 2013.

If your original visa is still valid (less then one year from date of issue) and you cross border/return a new one year permitted to stay would be stamped in your passport.

Any travel after visa expiration date will require a re-entry permit (to keep the current permitted to stay valid on return).

A multi entry O visa only allows 90 day stay - you must then exit/return for a new up to 90 day stay. Not the same thing as extension of stay or O-A visa.

Visa rules seem to becoming more vague every time you re-apply. Every consulate seems to have its own interpretation on how to apply the rules. I see that you are of the impression that Hull UK dont require proof of lodged funds in a Thai account. Well sorry to tell you that they now do and moreover they have turned from being quite forgiving in application respects to being very hard to satisfy ! I speak from first hand experience as I applied to Hull while in the UK in the summer. I have never had any problems with them. I live in Thialand and have had business in the past together with being a co- owner of a house with my Thia wife, this now makes no difference ! The fact is that, I (like you) had not had the required funds in my account in Thailand for long enough , regardless of the fact that money was being payed in regularly, if you do not have at least 400000 baht in your account for at least 3 months you will NOT be granted a 'O' visa from Hull. Even if you are married the same rules apply, and remember you can not apply here for a 'married visa' unless you have an 'O' with at least 6 months remaining on it. Harder and harder now. Perhaps they do not want us here . !! lol

From Hull website: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

Category “O”

1) Married to a Thai national.

Evidence required:

a If married in Thailand:

Copies of Original Thai Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.

b If married in UK:

Copies of Original UK Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.

Either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.

........... The fact is that, I (like you) had not had the required funds in my account in Thailand for long enough , regardless of the fact that money was being payed in regularly, if you do not have at least 400000 baht in your account for at least 3 months you will NOT be granted a 'O' visa from Hull. Even if you are married the same rules apply, and remember you can not apply here for a 'married visa' unless you have an 'O' with at least 6 months remaining on it. Harder and harder now. Perhaps they do not want us here . !! lol

I can't comment on your experience regarding Hull, but that seems strange.

I dont understand your comment that you cannot apply here for a married visa with at least 6 month remaining on it. My guess is you mean to say that you cannot apply for an extension of stay with at least 6 month left. That is nonsense, you can apply during the last 30 days of any permission to stay on a non-O visa, so after being at least 60 days in Thailand.

Having checked the website of Hull, it seems the information

Visa rules seem to becoming more vague every time you re-apply. Every consulate seems to have its own interpretation on how to apply the rules. I see that you are of the impression that Hull UK dont require proof of lodged funds in a Thai account. Well sorry to tell you that they now do and moreover they have turned from being quite forgiving in application respects to being very hard to satisfy ! I speak from first hand experience as I applied to Hull while in the UK in the summer. I have never had any problems with them. I live in Thialand and have had business in the past together with being a co- owner of a house with my Thia wife, this now makes no difference ! The fact is that, I (like you) had not had the required funds in my account in Thailand for long enough , regardless of the fact that money was being payed in regularly, if you do not have at least 400000 baht in your account for at least 3 months you will NOT be granted a 'O' visa from Hull. Even if you are married the same rules apply, and remember you can not apply here for a 'married visa' unless you have an 'O' with at least 6 months remaining on it. Harder and harder now. Perhaps they do not want us here . !! lol

Having checked the webiste of Hul, it seems you information is totally wrong and nothing has changed. (Latest update on visas on their website is from 2 days ago).

I think you misunderstood them and they simply gave you information on how to extend your non-O visa in Thailand, not the requirements for getting the visa itself.

I just know you're all waiting to find out what happened next......

Armed with the news that I could get a cat O extension based on family, I returned to Phuket immigration armed with birth certificates and proof of income over 10 x the required amount.

No says the officer (inspector)! I can only claim for a dependeant child IF I have no dependent wife. I must either show 400,000 for at least two months or divorce my wife.

Now I've been tempted to divorce my dear wife on many occassions but NOT to satisfy some arcane visa regulation.

I left thinking two words: hole and arse.

I have since travelled to Singapore and got a new one year muliple entry Cat O without difficulty.

I will NEVER even consider going to an immigration office in Thailand. Frankly it is too demeaning. I am entirely happy to escape to Singapore or Macao or HK or......for a break every 90 days.

-----------------

I'm not trying to be rude....just want to explain what the reasoning is in your particular case was (as you describe it).

You do NOT qualify as the sole supporting provider of your child if you are married and your wife is presumeably providing care and support for your child. She is presumed to be there and physically able to provide care for your child.

Therefore, you are not the sole provider for that child....and therefore do not qualify for an extension of stay in Thailand for that reason.

Now IF your wife was for some reason UNABLE to care for your child OR a divorce meant your wife refused to take care of your child, and you had to assume the role of caring for your child....that probably WOULD mean you qualify.

Probably the immigration officer didn't know how to explain that to you clearly.

Believe it or not...there is a logic to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just found this thread while looking for answers to a few questions I have. I'm sending an email to Hull but I've tried that on a previous occasion with the embassy in London and not had much luck so I've always come here for straight answers.

I'm 58 form the UK and I want to get a Non Imm "O" visa. I have a Thai gf and we plan to marry next year. I want to use income rather than moving money to Thailand although I have enough to do that. I don't have a pension but my daughter is going to buy half my house and we are going to have a contract drawn up to cover that and I'm hoping this will cover part of the income needed. She is also paying me some money up front and If I can I'll get this added as part of the contract and if not then I have the bank statements showing the money transfer. There are a few other payments as well which should add up to enough to cover the income, or at least most of it. Depending where they get their exchange rate from.

Whilst trying to work this out I wondered if the 65,000 Baht per month relates to past or future income. I gave up my job before I went to Thailand for 3 months in May but I was earning up until then. The money from the sale of the house is all future payments although they are covered by a contract. If they look at just my income right now before the payments for the house start then I will be short by a fair amount and if the up front money is discounted then I will have to rely on savings. How long is the seasoning for a first visa? I could go for an O-A which I planned to do earlier although that does need more documentation.

65k per month would be one year extensions of stay within Thailand for retirement. If marriage it would be 40k per month. Retirement bank deposit would be 60 days and marriage would be two months. Believe normal UK Embassy requirement for proof is income from previous 3 months average but not sure on that. But you will have other options such as multi entry visa and 60 day extensions to visit wife available after marriage.