Female Finnish Tourist Punched And Assaulted On Koh Lipe Island

Lite Beer

Finnish Tourist Punched and Raped On Koh Lipe Island

SATOON: -- Police are hunting for a man who raped a young Finnish tourist visiting Koh Lipe island. She was walking to her room after drinking with friends at a bar, and was abducted and raped.

SATOON – August 25, 2012 [PDN]: at 9:30 p.m., a notice of a Finnish tourist being raped was received by Pol. Maj. Col. Nontapat Somboonjan, suppression inspector of Muang Satoon police staion; and Pol. Lt. Col. Komsan Sangkrai, vice director of Muang Satoon police station.

The victim, Ms. Meir, had been raped in Koh Lipe Island, moo 7, Koh Sarai, Muang Satoon. The police commanders rushed the victim by marine police boat to the hospital for treatment.

The police later took the victim to file a report with Pol. Capt. Pairoj Pijitbanjong, officer on duty, Muang Satoon police station.

During questioning, Ms. Meir told police she had come to travel and snorkel at Koh Lipe island.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/08/26/finnish-tourist-punched-and-raped-on-koh-lipe-island/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2012-08-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An awful episode in this girl's life. What should have been an idyllic holiday is a disastrous incident etched on her memory for ever.

Where approx is Koh Lipe ?

Here is a link to a map http://kohlipe.langkawi2u.net/map.html

And a link to Satun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satun_Province

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

Awful for the poor girl - heart goes out to her. Why they had to post a picture of her as well as giving her name I have no idea though.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but giving those details will probably help jog someones memmory if they have seen anything? if just a report who knows what?

Agreed it is a terrible thing to have happened.

I cannot understand why they have not withheld her name though. It is hard enough to go through and ordeal like this without having your name published too.

I was wondering the same thing. They are either very dumb or deterring victims from reporting by making it public. I'd go with dumb.

Awful for the poor girl - heart goes out to her. Why they had to post a picture of her as well as giving her name I have no idea though.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but giving those details will probably help jog someones memmory if they have seen anything? if just a report who knows what?

Wonder what the girl thought then? Most likely did not have a clue until she saw her self in the paper.

I cannot understand why they have not withheld her name though. It is hard enough to go through and ordeal like this without having your name published too.

They publish her name but no description of the attacker. Shows the ethical standards of that newspaper.

Cancel your subscription and tell your friends to do likewise.

They publish her name but no description of the attacker. Shows the ethical standards of that newspaper.

And yet the very same newspaper withholds the names of a 15 y.o Thai rape victim and also her mother in another incident. A bit of consistency would be nice....I won't state the obvious.

• Like 1

An awful episode in this girl's life. What should have been an idyllic holiday is a disastrous incident etched on her memory for ever.

Where approx is Koh Lipe ?

It is about 20 odd miles offshore from Satun (not Satoon!) I have been visiting for over 20 years and this is a most unusual occcurance in this beautiful part of Thailand. Hope the victim gets the justice she deserves.

No description of the attacker was given.

Was he Thai or another foreigner? Had the girl met the assailant at a club or disco prior to the attack or committed by an opportunist who struck because the girl was walking alone?

Perhaps if a description and some details were given, than there is more chance of the rapist being identified and reported to the police.

• Like 1

No description of the attacker was given.

Was he Thai or another foreigner? Had the girl met the assailant at a club or disco prior to the attack or committed by an opportunist who struck because the girl was walking alone?

Perhaps if a description and some details were given, than there is more chance of the rapist being identified and reported to the police.

You mean if the Pattaya daily news would report more details one of the detectives in thaivisa forum could then solve the case?

• Like 2

With regards to the rape & the printing of her name in the paper I have utmost sympathy..

I'll tell you why:

Last year in my province (not too far west of BKK) I have an Iranian friend & his Thai wife living here for 10 years now.

On their way home from shopping at Big C they were followed along the road by two Thai men on their motorcycle

my friend was riding his with his wife as pillion passenger behind.

Suddenly he heard a couple of cracks/bangs & his wife screamed out in pain, she had been shot twice by these men,

once in the back & once in the leg, almost falling off she clung to him but he had to pull over to stop her from falling off completely.

As he did so they rode past & he was shot in the arm.

Luckily a car was passing at this time & scared them off before being robbed or killed & took them to hospital for treatment.

The local newspaper who covered the story published their full names, details of where they worked & if you can believe it their full home address!!!!

After staying in hospital for emergency treatment he managed to give a description of the men & motorcycle to the police, his wife was in for over a month after receiving major surgery.

He had to move from his home for safety reasons, lost his work & suffered many days of fearing for his life every time he visited his wife.

When he complained to the police & newspaper about what they had done they just said they were reporting news & doing their job!!

No remorse or apology given or even a sense of what damage they had done!!

Now they have rebuilt their lives in a different province after 1 year of trauma, with no compensation for their financial losses.

Needless to say the culprits were never found, even though the police said they had a strong idea who it might have been as it wasn't the first time this had happened... I was speechless & lost for words at this omission..

But then I remembered this is Thailand!!

If it had been a farang man, the article would be screaming that point. So, one can assume it was a Thai. What a sad thing to happen, either way. I hope the police leave no stone unturned, and come down like a ton of bricks on the rapist.

I think you hit head right on the nail. You can absolutely assume he was thai. We'd know otherwise. Probably in the first sentence.