Nigerian Gets Death For Drug Trafficking In Malaysia

webfact

Nigerian gets death for drug trafficking in Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur, Aug 27, 2012 (AFP) - A Malaysian court on Sunday sentenced a Nigerian man to death after convicting him of trafficking more than 14 kilos (31 pounds) of marijuana over the land border with Thailand, a report said.

The court said there was little doubt Moses Chinedu Nwosu, 50, was guilty of the crime -- punishable with death by hanging -- after the drugs were seized from him on the night of March 25 last year, Bernama news agency said.

The man's lawyer could not be reached for comment. The accused testified the drugs carried in a black bag belonged to another man he was travelling with from the Thai border to the northern Malaysian town of Alor Setar, Bernama said citing the judgment.

"However, according to a witness, Moses was seen carrying the black bag... and its key was found in his pocket," the judge said.

The court decision is the latest in a clampdown by Malaysian authorities on alleged foreign drug traffickers.

A Kuala Lumpur court charged 10 Iranians, an Uzbek and a local with trafficking methamphetamine last week.

An Australian nurse and Nigerian man were also charged with trafficking drugs last month, a case which has attracted media attention worldwide.

Since 1960, more than 440 people have been executed in Malaysia, including two Australians sentenced to death in 1986 for heroin trafficking -- the first Westerners to be executed under tough anti-drug laws.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-08-27

Well done Malaysia

Seriously? For marijuana? You're congratulating Malaysia for killing somebody for a plant that does vastly less physical and social damage than alcohol? Amazing !!!

I would say that you've been indoctrinated very effectively -- to the point where common sense judgements are well beyond you capability.

Do some research and open your mind to the REAL reasons that marijuana has been demonized and alcohol, undeniably one of the most (if not THE most) harmful substances on the planet, is legal.

Your 3-word post and both pitiful and terrifying.

Yeah well, today is marijuana, and if all goes well he will upgrade to harder and harder stuff, so good

riddance i say...

"The court said there was little doubt Moses Chinedu Nwosu, 50, was guilty of the crime"

Still some doubt, and still get the death penalty? - something not quite right there

And I agree with previous statements about marijuana being less harmful than alcohol biggrin.png

Yes it is barbaric to top someone for weed, but, there is a very big but, these folk KNOW the risk in Malaysia and take the gamble. Stupidity at it's best, if they want to do this shit then pick a country where they will survive. sad.png

Agreed! I will never defend this guy's bad judgement for smuggling ANY drugs into Malaysia. He should know what he's getting into before doing anything so stupid.

However, I will not defend Malaysia or agree with their policy of the death penalty for cases involving marijuana.

The laws of Malaysia are inhuman and inacceptable.

Oh, "unacceptable", eh? Well, well. I'm sure your ultimately authoritative declaration will have a profound effect. OK - now let's look at this rationally. It's a largely muslim country, isn't it. Aren't their views on drugs rather, emm, "rigid"? ...WHICH probably escalates the street price significantly. Our hero played the game, took the risk, no doubt hoping for the big payoff, and lost. Risked big; would've been a big payoff; lost big. Now in this big multicultural world of ours, doesn't "tolerance" absolutely dictate that we must bend over backwards to respect the values and traditions of other countries and other religions?? And don't you wonder about the pillars of Malaysian society that this guy would've been supplying that work in the distribution network between guys like this and the eventual buyers? The authorities no doubt see traffickers like this as a key target in their efforts to control the trade.

And stop with the comparisons to alcohol already - they're juvenile, pedantic, ridiculous, and whiny. They're not going to win any converts, and won't do anything to drum up sympathy for old Moses... The better argument is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Then again, neither does stoning adulteresses or cutting off the hands of petty thieves (or the heads of christians & jews) IMO. I actually think your gripe is with Islam, not Malaysia.

• Like 2

Well done Malaysia

Seriously? For marijuana? You're congratulating Malaysia for killing somebody for a plant that does vastly less physical and social damage than alcohol? Amazing !!!

I would say that you've been indoctrinated very effectively -- to the point where common sense judgements are well beyond you capability.

Do some research and open your mind to the REAL reasons that marijuana has been demonized and alcohol, undeniably one of the most (if not THE most) harmful substances on the planet, is legal.

I had to add this later to say that feel a little foolish falling for Theboy's obvious troll post. Nobody could actually believe that Malaysia is right in doing this. I honestly believe that "Theboy" is trolling -- knowing very well that his statement is so ridiculous and will get a strong reaction from rational people.

I have no time for either Malayasia or its apartheid programme.

I do support this type of action though, 14 KILOS <deleted>, it could hardly be passed off as "a bit of personal"

Why dont all you pro-weed types go and arrange a "smoke in" at Lumpini park and see how much support you get.

they know the risks ...little or no sympathy ...if there was a country that say had a death penalty for smuggling oranges then u dont smuggle oranges no matter if u think its a stupid law or not malaysia and singapore r strict and despite people saying that tourism will drop off ....no it didnt ...

Well done Malaysia

Agree 200%. Death penalty for Ganja is a shame for Malaysia. We probably all know folks who rather do a little weed, instead of drinking booze. According to the WHO alcohol is considered a drug which will make mentally and physically addicted (German: Rauschgift); Marihuana may make you mentally addicted but never physically (German: Rauschmittel). This verdict is absolutely ridiculous.

If you are MENTALLY affected then there is a chance that you are also MENTALLY affected.

It is a known fact.

coffee1.gif

Well done Malaysia

Agree 200%. Death penalty for Ganja is a shame for Malaysia. We probably all know folks who rather do a little weed, instead of drinking booze. According to the WHO alcohol is considered a drug which will make mentally and physically addicted (German: Rauschgift); Marihuana may make you mentally addicted but never physically (German: Rauschmittel). This verdict is absolutely ridiculous.

If you are MENTALLY affected then there is a chance that you are also MENTALLY affected.

It is a known fact.

coffee1.gif

I see! You must be stoned already.

• Like 1

The laws of Malaysia are inhuman and inacceptable.

Oh, "unacceptable", eh? Well, well. I'm sure your ultimately authoritative declaration will have a profound effect. OK - now let's look at this rationally. It's a largely muslim country, isn't it. Aren't their views on drugs rather, emm, "rigid"? ...WHICH probably escalates the street price significantly. Our hero played the game, took the risk, no doubt hoping for the big payoff, and lost. Risked big; would've been a big payoff; lost big. Now in this big multicultural world of ours, doesn't "tolerance" absolutely dictate that we must bend over backwards to respect the values and traditions of other countries and other religions?? And don't you wonder about the pillars of Malaysian society that this guy would've been supplying that work in the distribution network between guys like this and the eventual buyers? The authorities no doubt see traffickers like this as a key target in their efforts to control the trade.

And stop with the comparisons to alcohol already - they're juvenile, pedantic, ridiculous, and whiny. They're not going to win any converts, and won't do anything to drum up sympathy for old Moses... The better argument is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Then again, neither does stoning adulteresses or cutting off the hands of petty thieves (or the heads of christians & jews) IMO. I actually think your gripe is with Islam, not Malaysia.

Just a point of detail, In Malaysia Shariah law applies only to Muslims

Just a point of detail, In Malaysia Shariah law applies only to Muslims

This is not under Shariah Law - it is an EXTREMELY WELL KNOWN common law for ALL entering Malaysia.

Sorry but I honestly cant drum up any sympathy for people pushing drugs, and as illustrated elsewhere, 14Kg of the stuff can NOT be considered a small amount for personal use - even if there was such a get-out under Malay law - which I am fairly sure there is not.

Singapore and Thailand also have strict laws on this - in reality, it is completely irrelevant that it was 14Kg of hashish or 14Kg or pure Cocaine - the crime stands and the definition is plain and straightforward for any idiot to understand - well - ALMOST any idiot...