American Pediatricians Group Claims Major Health Benefits Of Circumcision

Jingthing

I have never heard any suggestion that removal of the foreskin affects masturbation and indeed it certainly does not.

AFAIK there are only 2 major religion which require circumcision: Islam and Judaism, both based on old testament (Genesis 17:7-14; Leviticus 12:3). These groups are of course only a very small percentage of the US population so this has nothing to do with the overall prevalence of circumcision in the US.

Christians do not practice circumscision as a religious rite and when Christian parents elect to circumcise a male infant it is not for that reason nor for any beliefs around sexuality that I have ever heard of. Routine circumsision of male infants was almost univeral in the US through the 1960's/early 70's, the reasons given being hygienic and also to avert having to do a medically indicated circumscision at a later age when it would be more traumatic for the child. An additional factor that influenced many parents was simply the fact that most boys were circumcised, so not doing so would mean the boy would grow up looking different and be teased etc.

Since then, physician attitudes and recommendations have changed and the US now has a more or less equal number of circumcised and uncircumsized males, which of course removes the cultural concern of looking "different" -- no matter which is chosen, the boy will not stand out as unique.

There are valid arguments that can be made both for and against routine circumcision, but none of them have anything to do with sexual morality.

I came of age in the 60's when virtually all boys and men were circumcised and I assure you, there was no lack of sexual pleasure or sexual activity among males back then.

Removal of the foreskin does not in any prevent normal sexual functioning or pleasure. However, if a grown man or post-pubescent boy is circumsized, he will initially feel a occasional irritation since the foreskin is no longer there as a "buffer" and his body and mind will then adjust by becoming more impervious to non-sexual contact and perhaps to very light touch in general, and it may take a few years for things to settle down and feel normal. If circumsized earlier this is not an issue. Either way, no impairment of sexual sensation or function, although a mature male experiencing the transition form uncircumsized to post-circumcized state will notice that he both needs and can tolerate slightly stronger touch than used to be the case.

...although a mature male experiencing the transition from uncircumsized to post-circumcized state will notice that he both needs and can tolerate slightly stronger touch than used to be the case.

Agree with this. I had mine removed aged 15, not for religious reasons but because the skin started to close at the tip. Quite alarming at the time. Yes, I feel there was a loss of sensitivity even more so, after a period on anti-depressants, more than 20 years ago. Their effect on my libido appears to be permanent, which colours my view of both the pharmaceutical industry and my Doctor, who never pointed out the risk.

At times, it requires more work to achieve a climax, especially after alcohol. Some might be happy about that. To me, circumcision seems more hygienic.

As a parent, with 3 boys, the question of circumcision never arose, because it is THEIR body and not yet a possession of the State (although I wonder). Looking at some parents, whether to circumcise, or not, is lost in the bigger question of whether they should be allowed to have children at all.

Edited by fullwhenempty

• 5 weeks later...

And it does indeed have proven health benefits, that is not a matter of opinion but one of clear scientific fact. However, many of these benefits (e.g. reduction in risk of HIV and other STIs, and reduction in other infections) can also be obtained through careful hygiene and safe sex, and other benefits, such as a reduced risk of penile cancer, affect only an extremely small number of people anyway. So while there are definitively health benefits -- sufficient to offset the cost of the procedure which was the original issue behind the thread -- these are not of sufficient magnitude to necessarily outweigh other considerations, except in populations where HIV prevalence is extremely high and hygienic conditions very poor.

any links to scientific research to back up this fact !!!!

and if u get these benefits from proper hygiene and safe sex i don't think having part of ur dick cut off is any kind of advantage !!

There is a lot of evidence and recommended for males to do in very high risk countries. People in these countries should use condoms (correctly) as well but in real life don't all the time just like males everywhere but even more so in poverty situations.

http://www.slate.com...ds_science.html

The evidence that circumcision can prevent the spread of HIV is unequivocal. Circumcision reduces the risk of HIV infection by about 70 percent—making it more effective than most flu vaccines—and it is being promoted by global health authorities such as the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as a simple, permanent, and effective way to help prevent HIV infection. The American Academy of Pediatrics issued a statement last month emphasizing that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks, and recommended physicians discuss circumcision’s benefits and risks with new parents nationwide.

Even more than using condoms alone—which must be used correctly every time one has sex over the course of a lifetime—male circumcision as part of a range of HIV prevention interventions has the potential to significantly slow the spread of AIDS in the worst-affected parts of Africa. At a fraction of what it would cost to maintain AIDS treatment for an HIV-positive individual over the course of a lifetime, male circumcision is a permanent and inexpensive prevention method that, when coupled with condoms and counseling, makes sense for countries where HIV is spread mainly through heterosexual intercourse.

Edited by Jingthing

The policy statement mentioned in the news article to which a link was given in the OP is blatent self-promotion by a group of people in the USA who perform the surgical operation in question and thus this topic is spam.

mfr_closed1.gif