Top Army Officers Transferred To Inactive Posts

webfact

Top army officers transferred

The Nation

30189218-01_big.jpg

Sathien

Trio sent to inactive posts after Defence secretary complained about minister interfering in the reshuffle

BANGKOK: -- Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat yesterday abruptly transferred Defence permanent secretary General Sathien Permthong-in and two other senior officers to inactive posts at the Defence Minister's Office.

Sukampol signed the order - to take immediate effect - at 2.30pm. The move of the three officers came just a few days after Sathien unsuccessfully sought a meeting with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to complain about Sukampol's alleged efforts to interfere in the annual reshuffle of senior military officers.

The two other transferred officers were General Chatree Tatti, deputy permanent secretary, and General Pinphat Siriwat, director of the Defence Secretariat. The three were in charge of compiling the annual military reshuffle list. Deputy permanent secretary General Witthawas Rachata-nan was made acting permanent secretary of Defence.

In his order, Sukampol said the moves were made for the sake of "orderliness" in administration of the ministry.

Sukampol left his office at 3pm without giving interviews to reporters.

According to Sathien's letter to Yingluck, which was intercepted by PM's Secretary-General Suranand Vejjajiva, Sathien said Sukampol ordered him to nominate Army assistant chief General Thanongsak Apirakyotin as the new permanent secretary to replace Sathien, who will retire at the end of next month.

Sathien said in the letter that Sukampol gave the order during a meeting on August 17 when the minister summoned commanders of the armed forces to consult on the annual military reshuffle.

Sathien said the minister ordered him in front of other armed forces commanders to nominate Thanongsak to the position without convening the seven-member ministerial panel in charge of vetting job assignments. Sathien voiced concern that bypassing the panel, which comprises Sukampol, the four armed forces commanders, the Defence Secretariat director and the permanent secretary, would allow Sukampol to change the reshuffle lists of the four armed forces on his own.

Military sources said Sathien disagreed with Sukampol over the choice of Sathien's successor as well, because Sathien wanted his deputy, Chatree, to succeed him.

Some political observers believe Sathien raised the allegations against Sukampol in order to create a perception that the government has conflicts with the military. Sathien was prompted to do this, the observers believe, out of bitterness toward former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who has reportedly ignored Sathien and no longer favours him.

Well-informed Pheu Thai sources said Sukampol wanted to nominate Thanongsak to the post of defence permanent secretary in order to demonstrate to Thaksin that Sukampol is in control of the armed forces.

The sources said Sukampol felt insecure and feared he could be removed as the defence minister because he could not weaken the unity of military leaders. Sukampol is the government's only vote inside the Council of Defence and was always beaten in the voting by the panel. He wanted to appoint Thanongsak, who is seen as close to him and siding with Pheu Thai, to become the permanent secretary so that he would have more votes on the panel, they said.

After learning of the transfer order, Sathien said he was not sorry to be moved - as he had stood up for what he believed was right.

Asked by reporters if the move was interference in military affairs by politicians, Sathien said: "I don't know. But I have done the right thing. It was fine, but later on the armed forces could face the same fate as me." He declined to say whether he would file a complaint against the defence minister.

Chatree said he didn't know the reason for his transfer. He said he had nothing to do with compiling the reshuffle list. He was just a candidate for the post of permanent secretary.

Chatree said he would consult with legal experts on whether he could file a complaint about the move, if it was deemed unfair.

Sukampol's order to transfer the permanent secretary prompted an attack on the government by a military senator and the opposition, which accused it of politicising military affairs. Appointed Senator General Somjet Boonthanom said the sudden move of Sathien would start conflicts between the government and the armed forces and could create a crisis for the government.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said Sukampol was trying to drag the armed forces into politics.

"The government should respect the intention of the Defence Ministry Administration Act and should not drag any mechanism or institution into politics for any interest," said Abhisit, who is also opposition leader.

Democrat party-list MP Kowit Tharana said Sukampol appeared to have been corrupted by power and would not stop, even though Sathien had exposed his plan to intervene in the military reshuffle.

Sukampol had damaged the military and ruined the future of a good military officer who was due to retire in just a month, Kowit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-28

It appears that the post of permanent secretary is not very permanent.

"Appointed Senator General Somjet Boonthanom said the sudden move of Sathien would start conflicts between the government and the armed forces and could create a crisis for the government."

Is that code for a coup?

• Like 1

"Appointed Senator General Somjet Boonthanom said the sudden move of Sathien would start conflicts between the government and the armed forces and could create a crisis for the government."

Is that code for a coup?

Last time it took about a week after trt messed with sonthi.

Looks dangerous, the Government trying to run the Armed Forces, coup on the way?

The armed forces either have to react - or allow the current "government" to put their pupets in all postions of power. Sadly, it seems only a question of "when" rather than "if".

• Like 1

Looks dangerous, the Government trying to run the Armed Forces, coup on the way?

What a stupid movement of the Government ... Why Sukampol wannaprove to Thaksin (a wimpy criminal on the run) that he is in control of the Armed Forces?

But if the Government wanna play with the fire, maybe they get hurt. Sathien: "But I have done the right thing. It was fine, but later on the armed forces could face the same fate as me." And the Armed Forces will NOT let it happen silently.

Why a single politician thinks he has to hassle up with the top ranks of Thai Armed Forces? They are not wearing the requested red underwear?

Must be like that - cause Police can do what ever they want (means to nothing but make cash) untouched by any politician. Therefore they also need not protect Abhisit when he wanna held a speech - the 200 coppers of the Anti-Riot Police just stand by, watch the red demonstration but don't even move one step to make way for the oppositions leader !?

• Like 1

As it should, armed forces should be under the control of the civilian government in anything that aspires to call itself a democracy.

The conundrum is that should be within the framework of the armed forces serving under an elected government for the good of the country, not as a political tool of a band of gangsters that con their way into power.

Soory - You got it completely wrong ... I agree with your opinion that in any democratic state the Army must be under civilian control and not the tool of a band of gangsters.

But in the given case, NOT the Army is (working with) the band of gangsters, but obviously (some part?) of the government : Sakumpol made this step to impress Mr Big T in Dubai, which is a true fugitive criminal on the run, and prove him he is in full control.

So it is obvious that not the Army, but (part of) current government (!!!) works as a political tool of a band of gangsters that con their way into power - the Big Gangster that wanna come back is Big T.

Nothing about reconciliation, it's all and only about REVENGE and AMNESTY for T --- so he gets back his billions, more of his clan in even more profitable jobs, more billions. Wake up, T this is not for the sake of Thailand - it for his personal wealth and power.

• Like 1

As it should, armed forces should be under the control of the civilian government in anything that aspires to call itself a democracy.

The conundrum is that should be within the framework of the armed forces serving under an elected government for the good of the country, not as a political tool of a band of gangsters that con their way into power.

Soory - You got it completely wrong ... I agree with your opinion that in any democratic state the Army must be under civilian control and not the tool of a band of gangsters.

But in the given case, NOT the Army is (working with) the band of gangsters, but obviously (some part?) of the government : Sakumpol made this step to impress Mr Big T in Dubai, which is a true fugitive criminal on the run, and prove him he is in full control.

So it is obvious that not the Army, but (part of) current government (!!!) works as a political tool of a band of gangsters that con their way into power - the Big Gangster that wanna come back is Big T.

Nothing about reconciliation, it's all and only about REVENGE and AMNESTY for T --- so he gets back his billions, more of his clan in even more profitable jobs, more billions. Wake up, T this is not for the sake of Thailand - it for his personal wealth and power.

The band of gangsters I was reffering to was the PTP government. Not that I hold the Thai Army in any great esteem, but it's quite clear that Thaksin wants Thailand to become a subsidiary of Shinawatra Co. and that doesn't fit well with the armed forces.

Reminds me of that scene on The Roketeer movie, when the German spy is in a pickle and calls in the goons he had been hiring to do his dirty work, when the goons find out who the spy was working for the head honcho says something like "I haven't earned a honest dime in my life, but like hell I'm going to sell out my country!" and promptly sides the FBI agents in chasing the spy.

The Thai top echelons, the traditional power structures are rotten, but one only has to look around Thailand to see that, distasteful as they are they have steered a much better course than their neighbours. That Hun Sen is Thaksin's "Eternal Friend" is very telling in that respect; Red Shirts seem to be infatuated with uncle Hun, is that the kind of New Thailand they are hoping for?

Edited by AleG
  • Like 1

They have a procedure for the appointment but Sukampol has decided that Thaksin's wish is his command, so he rides roughshod over the selection committee. The government should be in charge of all military services, but this demonstrates why the current mob are incapable of making a transparent decision & are not fit to take charge of the forces.

Put your cronies (or family) in charge of the police, military, bureaucracy & as many quasi-independent bodies as possible, and you have a semi-dictatorship - half way to the goal of Mr T.

Is that code for a coup?

This is a valid political decision. I no way should it politicize the Army. General Somjet Boonthanom is simply pointing out that an apparent right to an insider's entitlement at the time of his retirement to fill and vacancy in order to inflate his pension has not been 'honored'. Not all insiders achieve their goal, Sometimes it's because they couldn't bring sufficient collateral to the table.

I imagine that General Somjet Boonthanom feels that the man has been 'let down' after years of service.

Fear not my friends General Sathien Permthong-in will not suffer as his pension and years as an insider will take care of him.

The Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat seems to have made a wise decision and executed swiftly and directly and thus will have avoided a girlish insider squabble.

I just heard from a head nurse that in the next few weeks Army/Navy nurses are going on training excercises for a mass casualty senario.

She personally thinks its a "coup" senario.

Hmmm.. I'm glad I'm in the US right now. I may wait a while until I come back.. wai.gif

According to Sathien's letter to Yingluck, which was intercepted by PM's Secretary-General Suranand Vejjajiva

So her mail is privy to anyone who wants to take a peek? Oh, now I see, it was one of her Secretaries so I guess that's alright. whistling.gif