U.s. Woman Forced To Eat Maggots While Locked Up In Thai Prison For 9 Years

webfact

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the "Before", photo.whistling.gif

Oops,...failed to see the sarcasm .

Sarcasm? This is her before her incarceration, right?

I presumed the same, but the caption in the article is that is her in 2002 when she was released..... after 9 years at Bang Kwang.

Bizarre that she was that heavy after such a long stretch at the Hilton.

Viktor Bout lost like 70 pounds from a much shorter stay.

In another video of her story,

http://channel.natio...vous-breakdown/

she's lucky she wasn't charged with attempted murder of another inmate during her incarceration.

Fighting over maggots?..................wink.png

she's lucky she wasn't charged with attempted murder of another inmate during her incarceration.

If that really happened and is not just another story from this blimp she's very lucky she was not severely beaten - or worse - by a gang of other Thai inmates for that assault; Thais tend to stick together, particularly against obnoxious Farang.

Patrick

She is a bit scary though Patrick. Seriously, if I was in the same room as her and she growled, I would consider doing a runner.....blink.png

I can't seem to find any article from the original story (of when she was first arrested in 1993). The only stuff I can find is about this current story. Trying to figure out how much she got caught with and how she managed to only do 9 years of what was supposed to have been a life sentence. From the sounds of the story, after 9 years she was just released and allowed to go home ? Not transferred to an American prison for any length of time first ?

Oh yeah, the picture in the 2nd post - the caption in the main article clearly notes that it was taken in 2002, shortly before her release. So yeah, 9 years in Thai prison and it appears that she didn't lose an ounce of weight on her (alleged) diet of nothing but rice and maggots.

Of course, her book wouldn't sell as good without some added drama, would it ?

• Like 1

I LOVE the 'Banged up Abroad' TV prog as it never ceases to amaze me how many people can be so stupid - and then feel they were somehow treated unfairly... A little research should have made it clear that transporting drugs from a country with a death penalty for the offense, is not a good idea.

My favourite was some guy (can't remember the details) that was basically annoyed 'cos even though his (wealthy) father made all the 'right' bribes - he still wasn't immediately released laugh.png !

• Like 1

Apparently she was so hungry she had to eat 10 maggots a day!

29nov21-big-ass-maggot.jpg

Fried with a bit garlic: Isn't supposed to be a delicacy?

I think I would like it if I wouldn't know what it is. kind of land living lobster....

Even if shes right about the conditions in the prison? She would have been lucky is she got 30 years in prison back in the US for the same crime. Eating maggots sure sounds better than losing an extra 20-30 years in prison.

Thai prisons are notorious for their food and healthcare. Not only she but tens of thousands are living under despicable circumstances in jail. If you have money you can buy whatever you need. Some governments notably that of Canada and France take good care of their citizens other embassies are outright lazy and do not give a hood Uk, Netherlands, Australia for example. Without money you have very little friends. It is not that this lady alone suffered this fate.

Thai prisons are notorious for their food and healthcare. Not only she but tens of thousands are living under despicable circumstances in jail. If you have money you can buy whatever you need. Some governments notably that of Canada and France take good care of their citizens other embassies are outright lazy and do not give a hood Uk, Netherlands, Australia for example. Without money you have very little friends. It is not that this lady alone suffered this fate.

'If you can't do the time, don't do the crime' springs to mind.

I've all the sympathy in the world for those wrongly convicted - but not a tremendous amount for those that knowingly smuggled drugs.

Why do they let these scumbags out after only a short time. She didnt care about the problems her actions would inflict on others so she should still be rotting there now!!!

Yeah, none of the people who use those drugs had any choice whatsoever in the matter.

I wonder if there are any other ways the government can intrude into my life to protect me from my own decisions? We should ban everything just in case.

• Like 2

This is the "Before", photo.whistling.gif

Oops,...failed to see the sarcasm .

Sarcasm? This is her before her incarceration, right?

I presumed the same, but the caption in the article is that is her in 2002 when she was released..... after 9 years at Bang Kwang.

Bizarre that she was that heavy after such a long stretch at the Hilton.

Viktor Bout lost like 70 pounds from a much shorter stay.

That link paints an even worse picture of her

Why do they let these scumbags out after only a short time. She didnt care about the problems her actions would inflict on others so she should still be rotting there now!!!

Yeah, none of the people who use those drugs had any choice whatsoever in the matter.

I wonder if there are any other ways the government can intrude into my life to protect me from my own decisions? We should ban everything just in case.

Its not about protecting you from yourself. Its about protecting the society from all the costs that are associated with drug abuse. The laws that say that you must use a safety belt isnt meant to save your life. Its meant to save the society from the costs that your crippling or death would cause the society you live in.

Edited by BKKBobby

Its interesting to read an opinion from a poster that thinks this woman was 'hard done by'.

I disagree, as once drug users become addicted they are in trouble. Personally, I blame those that are making a profit out of the trade.

• Like 1

Obviously you have never heard of the principle of proportionality. Yes, she committed a very serious crime, but it may well have been her first and she was in her twenties. You would not allow a human being a second chance in life? Says a lot about you. Hope you don't have kids, or even pets. And make sure never to make any mistake!