Accessing Uk Based Server 7Am+

bkkmick

Hi

It seems like every day from 7am to about 8am it is virtually impossible to access our server in the UK. This normally clears itself up by 8am.

I'm on our server at the moment (7:30ish) via Remote Desktop (took quite a few times to eventually connect) and running Task Manager. There are no applications running, all the processes that are active are at 00 CPU and, when I look at the Performance chart everything is flat and uninteresting.

Connecting to other UK based sites like the BBC and some competitor sites from here (Thailand) seem to connect without any discernible lag.

When logged into Remote Desktop and running our Admin/Reports from the UK server the system runs quickly therefore it would appear that the problem is with the connection from Thailand.

Any ideas what can be causing our server to be slow during this time?

Thanks

Mick

You could get a free or paid for up-time monitoring service.

Do you try pinging or tracing your servers IP when you get this issue?

Are you using Windows Server or Linux. My guess is Windows since your VNCing in to it.

Your host could also be updating at that hour or running maintenance.

Here we go again. 7:!5 and access has gone.

I'm logged onto our server via Remote Desktop and everything's running fine from the UK (reports and admin) - just not from Thailand.

I pinged the IP and did a TraceRoute and no errors are reported.

I use 3BB one colleague uses TOT and a third is on a shared condo connection. None of us can run reports or access admin on our server in the UK.

It will be available again by 8am.

Here we go again. 7:!5 and access has gone.

I'm logged onto our server via Remote Desktop and everything's running fine from the UK (reports and admin) - just not from Thailand.

I pinged the IP and did a TraceRoute and no errors are reported.

I use 3BB one colleague uses TOT and a third is on a shared condo connection. None of us can run reports or access admin on our server in the UK.

It will be available again by 8am.

Try to scan port number 3389 and see if its open. You can do online from here http://www.t1shopper...ools/port-scan/

if its open you will get a result like this:

Scanning ports on xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxx is responding on port 3389 (ms-wbt-server).

Edited by expat63

From weeks ago I've been virtualizing/backup two server, massive downloads more than 700GB from US, I have a 6MB TOT the average speed is around 700Kb/s now is only half 350Kb/s, I see this down speed constantly and looks like have a time pattern similar to your.

Try with an alternative port like 8080 on IIS (I am assuming that the reports come from port 80)

Try it with Tor Browser all the time I use it to by pass annoying Thailand restriction/problems

Install some VNC software for alternative administration, RealVNC for example.

All the time i am using ping 8.8.8.8 /t (example) in parallel from another servers for looks, latency, packets lost, other problem, etc.

I was thinking that problems was only related to mi ISP and not the entire country :/

From weeks ago I've been virtualizing/backup two server, massive downloads more than 700GB from US, I have a 6MB TOT the average speed is around 700Kb/s now is only half 350Kb/s, I see this down speed constantly and looks like have a time pattern similar to your.

Try with an alternative port like 8080 on IIS (I am assuming that the reports come from port 80)

Try it with Tor Browser all the time I use it to by pass annoying Thailand restriction/problems

Install some VNC software for alternative administration, RealVNC for example.

All the time i am using ping 8.8.8.8 /t (example) in parallel from another servers for looks, latency, packets lost, other problem, etc.

I was thinking that problems was only related to mi ISP and not the entire country :/

He use Remote Desktop, port 3389 and not accessing via a web interface. I am cheking several servers around the world from 7am using Remote Desktop. No problem at all. My problems starts first after 1-2pm. This due to overseas line capasity.

It's not clear to me from the op's post exactly how he is connecting but you should not connect to Remote Desktop on a server directly using port 3389 open on the WAN side. It's bad from a security standpoint for a start.

If you use a VPN you will be unaffected by any traffic shaping/port blocking by your local ISP. And it's secure.

Or maybe I'm missing something?