Obsessed With Cost And Soooooo Nosey ?

CharlieH

Social norms I guess, things that westerners define and private and off limits are fair game in Thailand. Thai's will happily talk about having bad stomachs and getting the trots and how often they need to go to the loo, which you just wouldn't do in the west.

But i think you might be overstating it a touch. How well do you speak Thai?

One which I can't get my head around is foreigners getting paranoid about hearing the word 'farang' spoken around them constantly. As a Thai speaker with a foreign wife and a blond haired blue eyed daughter, I rarely even hear the word spoken. I often wonder if people are mis-interpreting other words.

I don't often hear the word farang, but it does happen and in general i know when they are talking about me. I don't really care if they use the word its not offensive to me. Though sometimes when a child points and say farang farang, ill say farang unai and start looking around. Just to joke a bit.

Thai people see farang as something totally different in all aspects. We are like aliens to them, and that is why some western people who have had a thai families for many years, will still not feel 100% like a part of the family, he will still be farang, farang farang.

One thing I, myself try to avoid at all costs, is to at least not refer to myself as "farang".

• Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about this one.

Most days I go for a wee donner round the area just to keep the old joints from locking up completely. On the way around I pass a few houses where some of the old guys (PS I'm an old guy as well) are either sitting outside relaxing or clearing some weeds etc from the edge of their garden. As I pass I say Sawadee Kap and they reply Sawadee Kap or Bai Nai ?.After a few times when I answer in english they ask, where you going ? I answer, shop, buy beer because wife at work so she can't complain. It doesn't take long before we end up having a conversation in Thaiglish and a bit of a laugh.

My wife was initially surprised when she was told that I speak very good Thai ( I don't but I just try the best I can) and how come you get to know so many local people.

Don't take it so serious. Life here is a good time, enjoy it.

OP, it's all normal, forget it smile.png .

I was with the mrs at the coach station, she was going to BKK to see her daughter, lady came up to the mrs and chatted, l said, what did she want ?

She wanted to know how much you gave me per month. w00t.gif ..............................laugh.png

Tell her to say 10 inches!!! that should shut up the asker

• 2 weeks later...

Its a two way street.

I disagree.

We are living in Thailand, so should do our best not to offend the local population.

Similarly, as we are living in another country, it is up to us to 'get used' to things we find annoying/offensive.

I agree- what I meant, but failed to explain, was that it works both ways. You can ask them the same questions back at them- I think some people are bothered by it because they consider it rude. The feeling of someone "being rude to me" is offensive. When you mimic the behaviour in question, and realise Thais are not themselves offended, then you realise it is not rude in context. Ergo, for some, the feeling of being offended is lifted as the cause of the feeling is no longer true.

I scanned through the other comments here and didn't see anyone point out that “thao rai” เท่าไร is a question word that means a whole lot more than how much money. It has many, many uses. You may have been asked if your parcel was heavy as in “your parcel heavy how much” phat-sa-du khun nak thao rai It can be used in many other ways: bpam nam man yuu leeuy sa phaan bpai glai thao rai “"How much farther is the petrol station after the bridge?" It could have been “how long will this line take, or how much longer” That of course is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to question words in Thai. The seemingly nosey objectionable question could have been as innocent as asking if your parcel was heavy.

May seem a little nosey to us but I've never really found it offensive. It's really no different to us asking (as a greeting), 'Where ya headed?' or 'Whaddya been up to?'

I'd certainly prefer to be forced to tell someone in Thai how much I paid for something than explain to someone in English how my genitals are arranged in response to 'How's it hangin'?'