Us Visa For Thai Wife

I've heard a lot about how difficult it can be to get a tourist visa for a Thai wife.

I've lived with the same wonderful woman for 18 years. We're planning on getting married soon and I'd love to take her back to meet my family next summer.

Any insight into exactly what's needed or any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, she has a good job making 25K per month and owns a house. I assume this means a lot towards getting consideration.

Much thanks in advance.

Galong

Most important, in my not so humble opinion, will be YOUR status in Thailand. If you're married, and retired or working here, with the proper Thai documentation, shouldn't really be a problem for her to get a U.S. tourist visa.

At least that's been my now-wife's experience, with three visas prior to getting married and one since. The interviewing ConOff mostly looked at my passport and noted the several "retirement" extensions of my Non-O visas.

BTW, my wife didn't, and doesn't, have an outside job, but she does own the house, but didn't even get to that at the interview.

Mac

Everyone thinks it depends on your status but we got my GF a visa and she was only making 15k and I was on a tourist visa. Further, we have made 2 trips and tthus far no hassles from ICE. Further, she had a car and motorcycle but no land. Her bank account was nothing special abt 300k also.

Things may be different when you check the married box but imo w- a letter from her employer, bank account (hers and joint), car?, proof of long marriage as well as photocopies of your O visas say...every figth year - I think you have a great shot.

For interview, ask for Thai but speak English. Greet in English. Dress very proper, but not fancy.

BTW my gf had prior visa ten yrs before but honestly its just about having the requirements and looking presentable. My.gf spent 5 min at the window, they did not look at our stack of paper. Did ask about me, looked at my pp and asked some questions about me (my pp has visas from other countries besides Thailand incidently).

We had tripped together outside Thailand in Asia as well and she had some small trips outside with friends.

Good luck, I dont see a problem.

As said the concern is her returning to Thailand and if married trying to shortcut the normal immigrant visa process by remaining in the US for change of status becomes the issue. So when married the husbands status, as it relates to her staying in Thailand, will be important - if you live here and it seems will remain here it should be much easier. Also the longer you have been in relationship and married the better so document that. In my case tried for tourist visa after application of immigrant visa paperwork had been approved but we then decided to live in Thailand so did not follow up. Presenting that old paperwork seemed to be important as clearly showed no intent to shortcut and that she would most likely return.

Thanks everyone for the valuable input!

FYI, we've lived together for 18 years. I am working in Thailand and have for almost 20 years (with work permit the entire time).

My soon-to-be wife is my business partner. We co-own our company (51% Thai of course).

I've been told that it helps to have a sponsor in the US. Is this true or not necessary? If true, would my family suffice?

Much thanks in advance.

Don't believe it's at all necessary to have a sponsor in the U.S., I didn't, and things have gone well for the Tourist Visas.

Just be sure that when she goes to her interview, your passport and work permit are in hand and that she hands them over pretty much at the beginning of the interview.

Mac

• Like 2

My girlfriend of 2+ years was just granted a visa. She had a letter from me, my boss, her work, and my mother. We had photographs of our home and relationship. She had bank statements for the last 6 months. The most critical of all the things she took were my letter, my passport, and my work permit. They went through every page of my passport many times. They cross-referenced everything in the letters with the passport stamps.

In other words, your relationship with her is going to be very important.

My girlfriend makes a modest salary of 14,500 / month. She doesn't own land. She has no car or motorbike. She had a blank passport. I thought the chances were slim, but I was wrong.

They tried to speak with her in Thai, but she decided English was easier because of his accent.

She was granted the visa. We are departing on October 8!

My story is a little different but still instructive. The only pertinent details here are that my then girlfriend presented everything requested or required at the time of her interview. The interviewer didn't even look at some of the documentation that I would have considered most important, such as her house ownership, car ownership, etc. The interviewer was not overly nice, nor particularly hostile, but pretty much told the gf that she would not get the visa, but that she should return a few days later with some fairly obscure documentation to finish up. Though sure she had failed and not at all wanting to see this woman again, the gf returned with the asked-for documents. The interviewer looked surprised that the applicant actually returned under the circumstances.

But then, upon reaching the interview window, the gf gave a slow and sincere-looking wai to the interviewer. The interviewer never asked to receive the new documentation but simply stated that the gf would be receiving a 10 yr. visa. The impression was that the whole excersize of digging up the new documentation was a form of test. Or maybe the wai was disarming, or showed confidence. Who knows?

Despite the fact that I don't understand it completely, I think the experience is still instructive. 1) Don't give up in the middle even if things look bad; 2) show respect even if it is not earned; 3) never let your lack of confidence show as it might be take as a sign that you really don't believe you deserve a visa for one reason or another.

So follow all the advice given by others above, but be sure you act as if you believe in yourself. Oh, and about the "sponsor": I have a friend whose gf was turned down by the British embassy. He showed that he personally had plenty of money to support her during her visit, etc, and the embassy reply was that they believed my friend was convinced that his gf would never take a runner, but they were not. They stated uncategorically that it made no difference who her "sponsor" was or what his resources since there was always the chance that he was being duped.

Good luck, and go with confidence. It sound like all should go well for you.

FYI, we've lived together for 18 years. I am working in Thailand and have for almost 20 years (with work permit the entire time).

My soon-to-be wife is my business partner. We co-own our company (51% Thai of course).

I've been told that it helps to have a sponsor in the US. Is this true or not necessary? If true, would my family suffice?

Much thanks in advance.

Regarding tourist visas issued at the consulate in Chiang Mai, there is a significant difference in the way it is handled based upon marital status. If you are unmarried at the time she applies, you will not be part of the process. If you are married, you may be part of the process - information about you is required but your presence is not required. I've been through it 3 times, once prior to marriage, and then 2 times after marriage (same woman all 3 times). The last time she was given the 10 year visa. I was told by someone I know working at the consulate that they have eased up significantly over the past few years. It so appears as with the last application my wife was in and out of the consulate in about 10 minutes whereas the second time in 2008 my wife was grilled, it took almost half a day, and she was repeatedly asked if our son actually belonged to her. That interviewer was an ass. The last time was a breeze and the previous interviewer no longer is in Chiang Mai.

Much thanks in advance.

Regarding tourist visas issued at the consulate in Chiang Mai, there is a significant difference in the way it is handled based upon marital status. If you are unmarried at the time she applies, you will not be part of the process. If you are married, you may be part of the process - information about you is required but your presence is not required. I've been through it 3 times, once prior to marriage, and then 2 times after marriage (same woman all 3 times). The last time she was given the 10 year visa. I was told by someone I know working at the consulate that they have eased up significantly over the past few years. It so appears as with the last application my wife was in and out of the consulate in about 10 minutes whereas the second time in 2008 my wife was grilled, it took almost half a day, and she was repeatedly asked if our son actually belonged to her. That interviewer was an ass. The last time was a breeze and the previous interviewer no longer is in Chiang Mai.

I've heard similar stories about dealing with the interviewers previously and now. It does appear that they're starting to be a bit more rational about this.

Thanks for info about the difference between being married and not.

Trouble? Nope.

We went in. Gave them the documents. They gave her a 10 year tourist visa. Done.

I think you heard is difficult for Thais to get a visa to the US as a tourist. Not your wife having a hard time getting a visa. Just regular people saying they're visiting friends.

• Like 1