Farang Giving Up All To Come And Live In Pattaya

irishlad

One month to go.

Aged 48, 20 year IT under me belt. Nine to six everyday till it nearly killed me. Had enough.

Arrive to Pattya in October.

Initally six months is plan..........

Read the books, been there once for 4 weeks.

Now the question

Can anyone give me insights/tips into what to expect there ?

Appreciate any help, tips, advice.

Thanks

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, tell me what to expect and what you think it will be like.........

Honestly, you haven't given enough info.

Is your plan to just stay 6 months and then go home?

Or is your plan to get your life set up here during those 6 months so that you will then live here permanently?

Your focus and activities will be different depending on your overall plan.

• Like 1

you are 48... so not yet ready for retirement... so under what Visa do you plan to stay here...

Expect... many people wanting money...

Expect... to be extremely ill-prepared...

Expect... to go back soon being rich of many new experiences...

Expect... to get a lot of good advices of which most will not fit for you as you have not said a thing about you and your plans...

• Like 2

Coming at 48 would be easy for many. You can do the retirement thing at 50 if financially qualified, and it's really no problem sorting out visas for those two years (ED visa being popular), especially if traveling back home during that time.

Visa 90days,that I will then extend....maybe go for student visa after for 1 year.

I am 48 single, good wedge of savings, 20 years IT experience (good for nothing in Thai I know)

Irish,living in Munich(well for one more month)

I wont invest in a girlie bar, but defo up to meet a "normal decent lass" one who works in a 7/11 or a bank

Then why would you move to Pattaya? Meeting a "normal decent lass" up in the sticks is difficult enough, let alone in one of the world's largest red light districts.

• Like 1

@lovelaos....I am a freelance IT contractor who worked round Europe, but just hacking some code for others,great cash etc....but from being a bog standard IT contractor to setting up a business is a huge step.....doubt I could do that,especially in Thai

@cndmatt Pattaaya is easy, going to a village as a first stop would be much more difficult to settle into. At least in Patts, you can get western style living without the huge cost

• Like 1

Why is getting a job in IT in Thailand out of the question? Set up a small IT type business catering to the expat community? All depend on how much money you got of course.

No need to hang out your own shingle as there are lots of freelance IT jobs available where the work is all online, so it really doesn't matter where on the planet you are, unless you have to comply with office hours of the company you're working for. Depends on your skill set as to the types of positions available. There are dozens of websites that broker freelance IT professional services to clients.

• Like 1

I wont invest in a girlie bar, but defo up to meet a "normal decent lass" one who works in a 7/11 or a bank....that would be nice. being in Munich for many years living like stag is not normal.

There are some lovely girls in the 7/11's.

They even have some genetic or is it generic girls there. Ya, Pattaya is just like your home town. Do you live in Sodom or Gomorrah? You'll fit right in. I didsmile.png