Son Of Red Bull Executive Arrested For Alleged Fatal Hit-And-Run Against Police

webfact

The world's press seems to have leapt on to this. Pretty much immediately, it was covered by BBC, Sky (UK & Oz), Fox, ABC, CBS (US) and many major global news paper websites.

The timing couldn't be much worse after the ruling that the girl whose lack of driving skills killed nine others in 2010 has been handed a 2 year suspended sentence.

But what will happen? Many posters here have had the tenure in Thailand to appreciate that a cursory sentence may be given, with no time actually spent in custody.

I've been here for 20 years plus, and post very rarely. I know and have worked with many of the 'hi-so' families, know how they operate and their expectations of what their enormous wealth and power brings.

But causing the death of an on duty police officer then fleeing the scene in a vehicle so clearly identifiable is clearly not the best start.

Good to see that one senior policeman is insisting on doing the right thing, but how long before support for him at higher levels evaporates?

This is one of those make or break points. If left, it will end up broken.

Edited by 10120

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It says in the log book for the security at the home that he left at 5.12 am so we can guess he was not on his way home from a club, unless he had already been home and then left again, this has not been made clear. It is possible he was not drunk, it is possible he was drunk, it is possible other substances just as it is possible there were no substances. nobody knows

Reading between the lines are we? This is what it actually said "A CSI team also reported seeing a logbook recorded by the family's personal security guards, which read: "Boss [nickname of Worrayuth] leaves home at 0512 am." Don't you think for a minute that the security guards actually belonged to the accused's family? In which case it's quite plausible that he left his own home at 0512am, possibly to catch an early morning flight for a business meeting or such like, wouldn't you agree? whistling.gif

It seems you are missing the 'nobody knows' tone in my post, and of course the log book would depend on other on entries made after 5.12 and made before he returned home.

Indeed nobody knows, yet so many people are keen to cast the first stone without any accurate evidence of what happened. My point being who know's if he's been drinking alcohol? In most countries people are innocent until proven guilty, yet the expat community already have him down as a drug using, drink driver. Accidents happen, that's a fact of life, forget who he is or what he was driving an accident occurred with no evidence of alcohol being involved, the visitor log showed he left his home at 0512am, to some people who work or have business that's nothing new. To many of the expats on this forum with little to do except start a witch hunt, in particular type of expat who complains there are to many 'dry' days in Thailand or complain that the new taxes on alcohol are impacting their pensions and are simply jealous of a young man with such a high performance car. Leaving the scene of the crime and dragging the policeman along is totally inexcusable (Particularly if he knew he was underneath the vehicle), but my guess would be any Thai would try and shirk this responsibility and evade the situation given half a chance, particularly at this time of the morning when not so many witnesses would be around.

[snip ]

And why would any kid want a car capable of such speed in a traffic jammed city? Something to do with size of his appendage? Totally irresponsible arrogance.

[snip ]

All of your proposed reasons and more ... the main one being because he could, I suppose. I'm sure there are plenty of places to open up a muscle car in the Bangkok area such as the expressways during off hours. Sukumvit, in the wee hours, is also a candidate, apparently. I don't follow your reasoning on the possible 200 KPH, but it wouldn't surprise me either. I owned a Toyota MK IV bi-turbo Supra (actually, several) and more than once found myself unintentionally at 130 MPH (> 200KPH) after only a few seconds of getting on it at 70-80 MPH (129 KPH). No, not in traffic or a high-risk situation. My MK IV Supra, stock at 320 HP and fairly heavy couldn't match the acceleration of that Ferrari, I'd bet. Supras have to be upgraded to kill Ferraris (and they are and they do).

If you 'unintentionally' find yourself driving at 200KPH I suggest you get a car you know to drive properly.

For all our sakes.

Drive properly, drive properly. Good advice, but the correct quote is: 'found myself unintentionally'. Gee, 130 and wasn't even texting or yakking on the phone now that I think about.

I will not own or operate a motor vehicle in Thailand for many reasons. I now use a bicycle almost exclusively or in conjunction with MRT/BTS/buses - for my sake. Perhaps a fitting partial punishment for Worrayuth (aka Boss - stopped calling him a kid) is to pull his license for 10 years or so.

My point was that, if one is not experienced, trained nor has good judgment, things can get very crazy very quickly with these high-HP (essentially) race cars. The F12 Berlinetta (if that's what it is) has a 544 HP V12 engine (my conversion from the CV rating stated by Ferrari. Someone posted 740 HP) in an aluminum body and appears to be designed specifically for beauty, acceleration and speed (not necessarily in that order). Someone said it could do 0-60 in 3 seconds or so. How quickly could it get to 100-120 from 60?

As an example there is the Eagle Computer Inc. accident:

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/06/10/business/corporate-triumph-then-death-in-a-ferrari.html

Edited by MaxYakov

Indeed nobody knows, yet so many people are keen to cast the first stone without any accurate evidence of what happened. My point being who know's if he's been drinking alcohol? In most countries people are innocent until proven guilty, yet the expat community already have him down as a drug using, drink driver. Accidents happen, that's a fact of life, forget who he is or what he was driving an accident occurred with no evidence of alcohol being involved, the visitor log showed he left his home at 0512am, to some people who work or have business that's nothing new. To many of the expats on this forum with little to do except start a witch hunt, in particular type of expat who complains there are to many 'dry' days in Thailand or complain that the new taxes on alcohol are impacting their pensions and are simply jealous of a young man with such a high performance car. Leaving the scene of the crime and dragging the policeman along is totally inexcusable (Particularly if he knew he was underneath the vehicle), but my guess would be any Thai would try and shirk this responsibility and evade the situation given half a chance, particularly at this time of the morning when not so many witnesses would be around.

9 times out of 10 , in a case like this in a developing country such as Thailand, the question of who is guilty is not in doubt, it is only a question of how the corrupted justice system will rule and how much money will change hands. To conclude anything else is disingenuous in the extreme.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

5 AM in morning, might be drunk...

More pictures here :

http://www.dailynews...th/crime/153092

I assume it is the young man in the blue shirt who is being arrested and it is obvious that he shows no contrition whatsoever for what has happened.

I think if I were a common Thai that I would urge everyone that I knew to boycott purchasing Red Bull until justice has been done; and the expatriate members of TV who are aware and consume the product should do so also.

OK, I will start.

I don't drink Redbull untill justice has prevailed.Any more followers?

I don't drink Red Bull so I guess I'll have to halt/boycott my Ferrari purchases instead. And color-coordinated cap/shirt accessories as well. At least the kid wasn't wearing his cap backwards in the arrest photos ... that's a plus.

Bwaaaah it's so unfair, my daddy's cancelled the Ferrari he was going to send me for Christmas - sending me a Porsche insteadbiggrin.png

...Accidents happen, that's a fact of life, forget who he is or what he was driving an accident occurred with no evidence of alcohol being involved, the visitor log showed he left his home at 0512am, to some people who work or have business that's nothing new. .

If the family conspired to lie about the real driver of the vehicle, the log book entry may also be faked.

• Like 1

Nice face saving maneuver.

I'm sure Ferrari will be calling bullshit on this one. The car looks like a 599 to me and they don't just blow smoke out of the hood.

I seriously doubt that it will be the Ferrari's head office point of view.

When you buy a 20 million + car, you certainly don't see a smoke coming out of the bonnet, unless of course, it is driven by a professional pilot on a circuit.

Not sure about 599. Looks like the FF that replaced 612.

It's a f12berlinetta http://www.ferrari.com/english/gt_sport%20cars/currentrange/f12berlinetta/Pages/f12berlinetta.aspx

Notice the apparatus thingy right in front of door and also back seat visible in some pictures. Ferrari FF.

Notice the apparatus thingy right in front of door and also back seat visible in some pictures. Ferrari FF.

Who gives a rat's a_rse what model it is, or is this just a matter of I'm smarter than you - which is the same as my thingy is bigger than your thingy.

This kind of event points out several breakdowns in Thai society. The fleeing of the accident, the willingness of police "officials" and "authority to immediately go for a "coverup," the persuading of a driver/staff to take the fall, the willingness of the driver to try to cop a plea for money, the police investigators pursuing the in flight vehicle but not being able to be admitted to the house "because the owner wasn't home," the immediate effort to promise "compensation" and "settle all affairs and more. All in all a great case to illustrate the total breakdown of any moral conscience in this society.

Plus the light bail, and the original culpable police's "transfer." If the cause of death is a broken neck and bones from being dragged, then it would be 'premeditated murder." Dragging a still alive human 200 meters seems to be premeditated murder.

i put forth that you have no idea what pre-meditated means.

You may think it is irrelevant what model Ferrari it was but consider this.

The 612 is front engined / rear wheel drive. Quite easy to lose it on a wet road or dry for that matter.

The FF is front engine / four wheel drive. Much more stable to control.

So suddenly it does become relevant doesn't it?

The 612 is front engined / rear wheel drive. Quite easy to lose it on a wet road or dry for that matter.

Not really.

The issue is hit-and-run. He could've been driving a beat-up tuk-tuk for all it matters.

The tuk tuk wouldn't have left a trail of oil for the poilice to follow nor taken 200m to stop with a body under it from whatever speed it was doing. (probably very excessive)

Luckily, the Ferrai's oil cooler probably split and left that tell tale line right to his home. He would have otherwise got away with it.

But that's ok, we can just keep ranting about how the rich will get away with it and not discuss anything else about it......

• Like 1

A few off-topic posts were deleted. Unfortunately, there were a lot of replies that quoted the off-topic posts and those have been deleted as well.

Please try to stay on topic. I think it's fair to reasonable to discuss the car, but confine your discussion to how it might relate to the incident in the OP.

...Accidents happen, that's a fact of life, forget who he is or what he was driving an accident occurred with no evidence of alcohol being involved, the visitor log showed he left his home at 0512am, to some people who work or have business that's nothing new. .

If the family conspired to lie about the real driver of the vehicle, the log book entry may also be faked.

Doesn't really add up does it. A rich hi-so goes out just after five in the morning and returns home fifteen minutes later. Was he going for milk?

Wonder if there any witnesses as to what time he left the house

9 times out of 10 , in a case like this in a developing country such as Thailand, the question of who is guilty is not in doubt, it is only a question of how the corrupted justice system will rule and how much money will change hands. To conclude anything else is disingenuous in the extreme.

I agree 100%

But that's ok, we can just keep ranting about how the rich will get away with it and not discuss anything else about it......

You're right, the rich will get away with it. Sad, but true.

I agree 100%

Does this Boy ..? of 27 years ld have a name pther than the son of........... or the grandson of ......... Blah! Blah! so and so ....? Pffffff!

Honestly, the Thai roads are so dangerous that this stuff probably happens all the time, you just only hear about it when some big shots are involved. I am sure a lot of families decide to take the payout instead of seeking vengeance to the end. After all, the victim is dead and someone needs to put rice on the table.

If the kid had not killed a cop doing about 160kph it would have gone away on the spot. Another hit and run unsolved case despite the witnesses.

Edited by asiawatcher

I agree 100%

Does this Boy ..? of 27 years ld have a name pther than the son of........... or the grandson of ......... Blah! Blah! so and so ....? Pffffff!

Really does hi light how sad this dynasty style of business is. I guess Tatler has his impressive life story inside.

Well, he's a car dealer, and we know that much.

Not really.

The issue is hit-and-run. He could've been driving a beat-up tuk-tuk for all it matters.

Thing about these cars is one has to mess up pretty bad to have an accident. Driven at legal speeds, these things can avoid accidents other vehicles cannot. Neither braking nor traction would be an issue. Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo and etc. all have very sophisticated traction control electronics that correct anything within the cars limits. Not paying attention combined with hard accelleration or just not seeing the motorcyle due to lighting and etc.

Not really.

Thing about these cars is one has to mess up pretty bad to have an accident. Driven at legal speeds, these things can avoid accidents other vehicles cannot. Neither braking nor traction would be an issue. Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo and etc. all have very sophisticated traction control electronics that correct anything within the cars limits. Not paying attention combined with hard accelleration or just not seeing the motorcyle due to lighting and etc.

Doesn't matter how the accident happened. The cop's rear tail light could have been broken. The guy could have come around the corner at 100km/hr smack into the tail. None of it matters a bit. What matters is he ran over a cop then fled. I don't see why people keep dwelling on type of car, oil leaks, fenders...none of it matters.

Not really.

Doesn't matter how the accident happened. The cop's rear tail light could have been broken. The guy could have come around the corner at 100km/hr smack into the tail. None of it matters a bit. What matters is he ran over a cop then fled. I don't see why people keep dwelling on type of car, oil leaks, fenders...none of it matters.

What matters is when he fled, he apparently dragged the guy the length of a football field under his car and killed him. The impact is really not that bad. If dude had a helmet, he probably would have survived. So yes, that take this from an accident to murder in my eyes.

Hi Bung thanks for the like but I think my post was deleted by the mods. Anyway I was lucky enough to get a drive in a Porsche - rear engined, big fat chunky tyres and still got a good slide in the wet. I think the point is it's the pr*ck behind the wheel is the ultimate deciding factor and any car no matter what make, model, size etc can be a weapon of death if driven irresponsibly.

As for the mods, 383 posts and you're saying they're all on topic, pull the other one.

What matters is when he fled, he apparently dragged the guy the length of a football field under his car and killed him. The impact is really not that bad. If dude had a helmet, he probably would have survived. So yes, that take this from an accident to murder in my eyes.

Well, your eyes obviously know zero about the law.

I saw the car in person. The impact likely killed the cop instantly. Do you know how much force it takes for a skull to crack a windshield?

I saw the car in person. The impact likely killed the cop instantly. Do you know how much force it takes for a skull to crack a windshield?

Zero about what law being I am a lawyer, but not a Thai lawyer . . .

Yes, I know all about head injuries in motorsports setting as I have raced since starting in carts at 14. 45 now and nationally certified racing instructor for PCNA, BMWCCA, Chin Motorsports, and PBOC Racing. Seen many studies on HANS device and various Snell and DOT helmet ratings. My best friend races cycles for WERA and I have seen and looked into many motorcyle and car incidents at tracks such as Barber, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Leguna Seca and etc. in an effort to improve safety.

Going by the picture, the damage patterns on car are not too extreme. If guy was wearing an approved an M2010 or even a M2005 helmet, I think he should have survived. I have seen some pretty serious impacts and had a few of my own and walked away. I have also examined a friend's helmet who went over highside at about 100 mph or so during a WERA race and he walked away.

If I recall, the Snell M2000 are tested at 300 G threshold. I think 400 Gs may have been threshold on pre M2000. I think that would be more than sufficient to break a windshield. Think about how many passengers have broken windhshields and survived. I busted one out with my face, no seat belt at 19, and survived.

Edited by ttelise

Zero about what law being I am a lawyer, but not a Thai lawyer . . .

Yes, I know all about head injuries in motorsports setting as I have raced since starting in carts at 14. 45 now and nationally certified racing instructor for PCNA, BMWCCA, Chin Motorsports, and PBOC Racing. Seen many studies on HANS device and various Snell and DOT helmet ratings. My best friend races cycles for WERA and I have seen and looked into many motorcyle and car incidents at tracks such as Barber, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Leguna Seca and etc. in an effort to improve safety.

Going by the picture, the damage patterns on car are not too extreme. If guy was wearing an approved an M2010 or even a M2005 helmet, I think he should have survived. I have seen some pretty serious impacts and had a few of my own and walked away. I have also examined a friend's helmet who went over highside at about 100 mph or so during a WERA race and he walked away.

Am getting the popcorn out and waiting for the reply to that!!!!! clap2.gif

There is so much bla bla bla on this thread it's unbelievable.

Guy has been arrested and charged. Police have done their duty and there is no longer any room for back-handing on their part.

It's all up to the Courts now.

The accused had pleaded guilty, so he is already guaranteed a lighter sentence (typically, a 50% reduction).

He will be fined the highest amount possible, less 50%.

He will receive a suspended jail sentence of a couple years, which is more or less equivalent to being on probation.

His drivers licence will probably be suspended for a year or more.

He might be ordered to do some community service, which he will be thankful for as an opportunity to show remorse and his commitment to social good. This will all be covered enthusiastically by the press.

The family will make a substantial payment to the family of the deceased.

And that will be the end of the story. Done, dusted, and forgotten.

I've been around a long time and seen it all before, ad nauseam.

This is what will happen -- I'm 99% sure of it.

I am afraid that this is a quite perfect summation of what will actually happen. Like me with my 25 years here, it is now probably time for you to leave! Or alernatively, continue to reside here and just let it ALL go over our perfectly formed yet non-forgiving farang heads.