Cellulite: A Recent Phenomenon?

Phronesis

I started this thread to get the opinions of the many long term expats that use TV.

I have lived in Thailand now for nearly three years. In that time I have noticed a disturbingly large amount of young thai women with hail damage on their legs. I very rarely visit a bar but the cellulite problem is readily apparent when one sits in traffic, and looks at the nearby girls on their motorbikes.

If you are a long time expat here in Thailand, please cast your mind back and let us know:

1. whether you think that cellulite is a recent phenomenon amongst young thai women
  2. are thai girls getting fatter and the standard of their overall fitness declining

Some photos might also prove good fun...

Edited by Phronesis

As more and more western influences especially within the diet range are becoming more apparent I think its inevitable.

Also more technology, less physical exercise. Kids would once perhaps play basketball or kick a football around, now sit and txt each other or talk on facebook, leads to a lazier lifestyle in my opinion. Add McDonalds, KFC, Pizza's etc and Swensons and soon you see the effects.

Edited by CharlieH

I haven't noticed but it reminds me of a holiday here with my ex-gf from the UK. We were sat at a restaurant one evening when she suddenly said 'Yes, seen one'. When I asked her what she was talking about she said she saw a Thai female with cellulite which, after almost 3 weeks, was her first and something which had annoyed her somewhat.

I found the opposite, the lack of cellulite on young (and older) women's legs in Thailand. In Australia it's not uncommon to see overweight teens with bad cellulite. I have noticed that there seems to be fatter young people, men and women, in Thailand now. Not surprising when you see how they take to the Burger King, McDonalds and Pizza Hut style of western foods.

I just walked around the office to survey the food and snacks stored on almost every Thai employee's desk.

Deep fried stuff, sugar coated stuff, deep fried sugar filled stuff - all of it Thai, non of it western, no big macs, no KFC. There is some Pizza. Covered in gunk (Thai Style).

If Thais are getting fat they are doing it to themselves with the keen help of CP Foods.

I just surveyed the desks in my office and I see Sprite, Coke, KFC, Heineken, Lays, Pringles. small survey sampling is worthless. whistling.gif

But I agree...KFC and McD branches closing up left and right. They'll be belly-up any day now. whistling.gif

Come on. This is a no-brainer..

The age-group of the women I'm sure you are looking at biggrin.png , coincides with Thailand's increasing prosperity.

Thin always meant poor in Asia...and Africa and probably anywhere else that money buys food. Farmers should do OK, but then what about the slim(not all!) maidens of Issan? Seen so many arrive in Metropolis and 3 months later they've packed on 5 kilos. w00t.gif

More (disposable) money.

Just walked around my office, not to survey the various snacks on desks but to survey the legs of the beautiful ladies who work here w00t.gif

Didn't see any cellulite on the Lao/Thai/Asian ladies. I fear this will change in the next century when Mcdonalds and KFC open up branches here. bah.gif

Just walked around my office, not to survey the various snacks on desks but to survey the legs of the beautiful ladies who work here w00t.gif

Didn't see any cellulite on the Lao/Thai/Asian ladies. I fear this will change in the next century when Mcdonalds and KFC open up branches here. bah.gif

Far too many claims and promised of this nature from you young man. Unless we see pictorial evidence from you in the not too distant future, we will have to believe you are making this up.

• Like 1

LOL

You guys must know that even really thin women can get cellulite.

It is determined by hormones and heredity, not by diet.

I have heard this argument before. Mostly from women with cellulite.

I cannot comment on its validity from a medical point of view as I am not a doctor. I can however, comment on its validity from my own experience.

I have had a few (western) girlfriends over the years that, when I met them, had cracking legs without a trace of hail damage. As can often be the case when a girl thinks she is secure in her relationship she will let herself go. This axiom applied to my aforemention partners, and, after they blew out a bit, the cellulite came home to roost...

In my many visits to Isaan, I have never seen cellulite on a girl who is doing farmwork for her living. And yet there are no shortage of Isaan girls in bars that have big legs and lots of cellulite. Do the Isaan girls in the bars have different hormones, and hereditary profiles, to those working up country on farms. I don't think so... They just eat, drink, and sleep more, and walk less, than their sisters back on the farm.

LOL

You guys must know that even really thin women can get cellulite.

It is determined by hormones and heredity, not by diet.

You can help it by diet and exercise but you can't rid it from doing so.

If someone has cellulite they're more than likely stuck with it.

Yes, pretty accurate explanation.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/149465.php

I just walked around the office to survey the food and snacks stored on almost every Thai employee's desk.

Deep fried stuff, sugar coated stuff, deep fried sugar filled stuff - all of it Thai, non of it western, no big macs, no KFC. There is some Pizza. Covered in gunk (Thai Style).

If Thais are getting fat they are doing it to themselves with the keen help of CP Foods.

I agree, people are pretty quick to blame western franchises for the world's woes, but if you live with Thais you will know that the amount of times that they go to MacD's, KFC... is quite a lot less than their frequent purchases of Thai style fast food /vendor food. Which is often several times a day. And lets not forget the minimarts which seem occupy about 10% of commercial properties in Thailand.

The farm girls are thinner because of more home cooked meals, and a more active lifestyle.

I agree, people are pretty quick to blame western franchises for the world's woes, but if you live with Thais you will know that the amount of times that they go to MacD's, KFC... is quite a lot less than their frequent purchases of Thai style fast food /vendor food. Which is often several times a day. And lets not forget the minimarts which seem occupy about 10% of commercial properties in Thailand.

The farm girls are thinner because of more home cooked meals, and a more active lifestyle.

Yep it's not just the KFC and McDs but also the Starbucks, the Daddy donuts, Krispy creme, dairy queens, sizzlers, etc. But yes it's not just the western brands. There are a lot of Thai brands imitating the formula for success from the west as someone mentioned CP foods. The coffee houses with those high sugar caramel frappacinos, the cheesecakes, crepe cakes, donuts, danishes, potato chips. It's just an imbalance of good vs bad foods being introduced to the country.

Oh boy, we need to protect our beautiful Thai women and their cellulite-less legs!

If you don't like it, don't come to Thailand or if you are already here, go home.

Phew, got one in. Feels disappointing. Empty. reminds me of the racists that say that as well. hmmm.

Anyway, I've not seen much cellulite but there again, I don't make a habit of looking at the high legs of girls in short skirts. Chance would be a fine thing.

Edited by Pseudolus