Yingluck Campaigns To Stop Violence Against Women And Children

Lite Beer

just like a Cheshire Cat - delivers a load of old fanny, big smile, fade from view.

Yes. Sound bites worth nothing. So, what is she going to do about it?

It's NGOs that have hotlines for women in need of help due to spousal abuse. The police are supposed to have a hotline but most people know how worthless they are if there's no money in it.

Agree that tackling the Thai soaps would be would be a good start but won't hold my breath.

Thai TV constantly...constantly shows violence against women unlike any other place I have been. I hate for my daughter to be in the same room.

Agreed, just don't permit it and make sure the family know it is completely unacceptable. It isn't allowed to watch crap like that in our house if the kids are around, and amazingly with that rule in place, the wife and MIL have stopped watching the soaps anyway. I have even got up and turned the TV over whilst waiting in the customer area of the Toyota garage, when programs showing violence have been on full blare with kids sat around the TV transfixed. The kids were not chuffed and the parents looked most embarrassed smile.png

If Yingluck can do something to seriously curb domestic violence she will deserve a lot of respect for that at least.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

nice sentiment from her, but it would require a complete change in mindset from the half of the population that commits these crimes, and the other half that accepts it.

My thoughts exactly.

Thais are violent, both consciously and unconsciously. It is their inbred nature to be violent. This violence takes on many forms. Look up these forms on the Internet. You cannot stop those forms of violence, nor can you effect any positive change by focusing on men and men alone. This is her culture. Her culture is violent through and through. It bleeds violence. It breathes violence. The sticky ooze comes out of the cracks and seeps corruption, dishonesty, cheating, lying, promiscuity, and all the sordid behaviors that an undeveloped, selfish mind can conceive. Violence is their release from pent up emotions that have no self-will or self-discipline to exercise control over the urge to be violent.

Hence I am certain she is being untruthful and merely telling lies to satisfy some other agenda that has nothing to do with the nature of her people.

Wow.

You must be unhappy never to have seen compassion in Thailand.

Thai TV constantly...constantly shows violence against women unlike any other place I have been. I hate for my daughter to be in the same room.

Agreed, just don't permit it and make sure the family know it is completely unacceptable. It isn't allowed to watch crap like that in our house if the kids are around, and amazingly with that rule in place, the wife and MIL have stopped watching the soaps anyway. I have even got up and turned the TV over whilst waiting in the customer area of the Toyota garage, when programs showing violence have been on full blare with kids sat around the TV transfixed. The kids were not chuffed and the parents looked most embarrassed smile.png

If Yingluck can do something to seriously curb domestic violence she will deserve a lot of respect for that at least.

What a fine person you must be to dictate what people watch on a TV in a car showroom waiting room.

I too, as a Brit, would be embarrassed by your loutish actions.

What a fine person you must be to dictate what people watch on a TV in a car showroom waiting room.

Truly loutish, the things people interfere with. Didn't the gentleman understand the TV was switched on for the personel in the shop?

I have even got up and turned the TV over whilst waiting in the customer area of the Toyota garage, when programs showing violence have been on full blare with kids sat around the TV transfixed. The kids were not chuffed and the parents looked most embarrassed smile.png

Rule Britannia .......... thumbsup.gif

PM campaigns to stop violence against women and children

BANGKOK, 3 September 2012 (NNT) – The government has held a seminar to inform government’s personnel to help empower women and children and promote justice for them in the society.

Good idea and good luck to the government personnel involved in this.

It is not an easy job as can be seen by the lack of stellar results against domestic violence around the world.

I am afraid when I am in a car show room with my children, with something akin to the Texas Chain Saw Massacre on the TV at 4.30pm with someone being chopped into pieces being watched by 5 year olds, then yes, I have the right and responsibility to turn the channel over. And you think that is loutish behaviour? Far more loutish to sit, do nothing and leave it on. I guess you would sit there and just let your kids watch it would you? I find it quite staggering that someone who admits on this forum to driving his car whilst drinking beer whilst he drives and having his kids in the back has the neck to call anyone else's behaviour loutish. I too as a Brit am ashamed of your criminal actions.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

PM campaigns to stop violence against women and children

BANGKOK, 3 September 2012 (NNT) – The government has held a seminar to inform government’s personnel to help empower women and children and promote justice for them in the society.

Good idea and good luck to the government personnel involved in this.

It is not an easy job as can be seen by the lack of stellar results against domestic violence around the world.

Got to back you up on this one.

And yes it is a world wide disgrace. Where no one seems to be making any head way in stopping it.

I am afraid when I am in a car show room with my children, with something akin to the Texas Chain Saw Massacre on the TV at 4.30pm with someone being chopped into pieces being watched by 5 year olds, then yes, I have the right and responsibility to turn the channel over. And you think that is loutish behaviour? Far more loutish to sit, do nothing and leave it on. I guess you would sit there and just let your kids watch it would you? I find it quite staggering that someone who admits on this forum to driving his car whilst drinking beer whilst he drives and having his kids in the back has the neck to call anyone else's behaviour loutish. I too as a Brit am ashamed of your criminal actions.

Now I am confused did you turn the TV over which would be a loutish thing to do. Or did you turn the channel over which in Canada we would say changed the channel which would have been a sensible thing to do?

• Like 1

The conjoining of "women and children" as victims of domestic violence - implying men are perpetrators in both cases - has spread around the world. But I wonder if Thailand, like western countries, actually has data showing the gender of those who abuse children? If so, I expect it will show - as it does in the falang world - that children are most at risk of abuse from women, not men. Any sincere attempts to reduce child abuse should not be hi-jacked by gender ideologues - it hides the sad reality of many children's lives, and prevents successful prevention programs that can target perpetrators (both men and women). Think about it - is it really only men who overdo the alcohol/yaba and then lash out?

All very true.

However it does over look the fact that about 10% of marital abuse is women beating on men.

At any rate I hope some positive changes come out of this. The world has long over done the abuse against women. Some religions it would seem encourage it. Make the women a second class citizen.

Would you, really, would you?

I am not a Brit.... I am British (you can start playing our national anthem now if you want to, I don't subscribe to that personally, the Dam Busters theme would probably suit this little rant better)

I am British,

I am English,

I was born in the north west of England.

I was raised by parents who knew wrong from right.

My parents managed to teach me wrong from right.

As a child I tested the lines, because that is what children do.

When I was good, I was rewarded.

When I was bad I was punished.

That was my society, my education, my upbringing.

In a society that has a reverence for 'boys can do no wrong' it sort of all falls down.

Instil a sense of praise and punishment at an early age and these problems would be reduced significantly.

Bottom line ..... bad parenting and a morally corrupt society.

Edited by Thaddeus
  • Like 2

Would you, really, would you?

I am not a Brit.... I am British (you can start playing our national anthem now if you want to, I don't subscribe to that personally, the Dam Busters theme would probably suit this little rant better)

I am British,

I am English,

I was born in the north west of England.

I was raised by parents who knew wrong from right.

My parents managed to teach me wrong from right.

As a child I tested the lines, because that is what children do.

When I was good, I was rewarded.

When I was bad I was punished.

That was my society, my education, my upbringing.

In a society that has a reverence for 'boys can do no wrong' it sort of all falls down.

Instil a sense of praise and punishment at an early age and these problems would be reduced significantly.

Bottom line ..... bad parenting and a morally corrupt society.

DoubleFacePalm_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Why is drinking A beer whilst driving a car a criminal action, and what harm does it do ??

I am sure your Mother in Law really appreciates you dictating what she watches on television.

You don't make them all watch Jackanory tapes do you ??

I think Yingluck has started down a long and difficult road with this however I cannot think of many issues that deserve more attention.

Domestic violence scars many societies and the " what goes on behind closed doors " mentality has to stop, it has to become socially unacceptable. Full stop.

I say good start............beating children and your domestic partner, sometimes to death, cannot be a " behind closed doors " issue any more.

It has to stop.

Men are evil, women are good. Same old, same old.

When are we going to see a campaign against domestic violence that doesn't discriminate against men.

Almost all the domestic violence cases I have encountered (and those are many) involve women beating and stabbing men.

IN particular Thai women assaulting foreign white men.

My own statistical analysis of the situation in Thailand, 70% of white foreign men living with a Thai woman for 6 months or more will have suffered domestic violence of some form towards them.

@Bleather

You haven't lived with a Thai woman, so you are unlikely to have encountered the endemic violence towards men in this country. It is extremely widespread.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I think Yingluck has started down a long and difficult road with this however I cannot think of many issues that deserve more attention.

Domestic violence scars many societies and the " what goes on behind closed doors " mentality has to stop, it has to become socially unacceptable. Full stop.

I say good start............beating children and your domestic partner, sometimes to death, cannot be a " behind closed doors " issue any more.

It has to stop.

Men are evil, women are good. Same old, same old.

When are we going to see a campaign against domestic violence that doesn't discriminate against men.

Almost all the domestic violence cases I have encountered (and those are many) involve women beating and stabbing men.

IN particular Thai women assaulting foreign white men.

My own statistical analysis of the situation in Thailand, 70% of white foreign men living with a Thai woman for 6 months or more will have suffered domestic violence of some form towards them.

@Bleather

You haven't lived with a Thai woman, so you are unlikely to have encountered the endemic violence towards men in this country. It is extremely widespread.

This Thai guy we know, walked into the home where his wife was playing cards, and told her to stop, She told where to go, so he slapped her. She stood up, gave him a right hook. She sat down again and carried on. He came round 5 minutes later, and he hasn't hit her since.

She could make a very quick start by banning it from TV immediately starting with the nasty soaps on view

They'll just pixilate it out like they do the other stuff.

Simply put, It just makes too much money for anyone to consider killing the "Golden Goose".

Why is drinking A beer whilst driving a car a criminal action, and what harm does it do ??

I am sure your Mother in Law really appreciates you dictating what she watches on television.

You don't make them all watch Jackanory tapes do you ??

Truly one of the most shocking posts on Thai Visa! If you think there is nothing wrong with drinking and smoking in your car whilst your kids are in the back there is nothing left to say. And yes drinking alcohol whilst you drive is a criminal offence and morally reprehensable with your children in the car, the shocking thing is i have to say so. PLEASE stop doing it!

As an aside i do not dictate what my mother in law watches i dictate that if the children are in the room there is no violence on the TV. Simple and she agrees in exchange for living with my simple AND responsible eccentricities she lives in a house that is the absolute lap of luxury and our entire family loves it.

Edited by GentlemanJim

As an aside i do not dictate what my mother in law watches i dictate that if the children are in the room there is no violence on the TV. Simple and she agrees in exchange for living with my simple AND responsible eccentricities she lives in a house that is the absolute lap of luxury and our entire family loves it.

All Thai TV programs have a mandatory age limit on the screen, all the time.

If your children are watching, and they are not old enough, you are breaking the law.

It's called parental responsibility.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

If your children are watching, and they are not old enough, you are breaking the law.

Sorry Tommy i dont understand your point. Are you agreeing with me ? I think you are, at least i hope so :)

Sorry Tommy i dont understand your point. Are you agreeing with me ? I think you are, at least i hope so smile.png

Yes, I think I'm agreeing with you. It's up to adults to enforce the laws.

Sorry Tommy i dont understand your point. Are you agreeing with me ? I think you are, at least i hope so smile.png

Yes, I think I'm agreeing with you. It's up to adults to enforce the laws.

100% correct!