Corruption And Backhanders Are Part Of Life In Thailand And Shd Be Accepted

fish fingers

I hate to say this but it's the way it works here in business and also making 'services' available. As farangs we should accept this if we want to live here (and get the benefits of a higher standard of living) just as we think foreigners shd accept our ways in our countries.

we shd stop complaining about it and deal with it.

Edited by fish fingers
  • Like 2

Funny - 10 plus years, never paid a backhander. Seen it at work, but for anyone with common sense, they aren't needed.

God dam_n you Samran. I agree with you now! I am off to my lawyers to get a cease and desist order thrown on you right this instance. Only positive side is that I have run out of Likes to give today, or else I would have to click it on your post. sick.gif

thumbsup.gif

They are not generally necessary, however if you want to spread some around things can certainly be made to happen quicker, or not at all if something you are trying to wriggle out of. I know a couple of people that had run ins with Immigration where the outlook was to be deportation, due to a momentary lapse in their morals and integrity they are consequently still here.

When I talk with my Thai friends, they all tell me they don't do it... for one they can't afford it, for other, they accept that things will be done slower but eventually be done...

I guess it's mainly Farang who want everything done their way and of course asap (meaning tomorrow) and for such additional and un-thaily service... well, you'll have to pay for that...

So from my experience, if I don't require better service than my Thai friends would normally get, I don't need to pay...

When I talk with my Thai friends, they all tell me they don't do it... for one they can't afford it, for other, they accept that things will be done slower but eventually be done...

I guess it's mainly Farang who want everything done their way and of course asap (meaning tomorrow) and for such additional and un-thaily service... well, you'll have to pay for that...

So from my experience, if I don't require better service than my Thai friends would normally get, I don't need to pay...

What if you wanted to be awarded a 2b Baht contract to build a flood defence? Bribes there ensure contracts are awarded, not just happen quicker.

would you say Thais treat farang differently? i agree that we want things done quickly but so do many thai chinese.

would you say Thais treat farang differently? i agree that we want things done quickly but so do many thai chinese.

Is it not a question of "chicken and egg"... Thai expect us to have money... so they will try to get us much out of us as possible... now it's up to us to pay or not and tell them to do the job same same they would do for a Thai... or did Farang to start throwing money around to get things done faster and in "our" way? And Thais only learnt from us that Farang are willing to pay?

Hmmmmm.... which was first... chicken or egg?

What if you wanted to be awarded a 2b Baht contract to build a flood defence? Bribes there ensure contracts are awarded, not just happen quicker.

Since I don't have that kind of business, this question does not come up for me... but I would guess that in such a case, this is not anymore a question of "farang" or "not-farang", but a pure business bribery question for all companies involved...

Stopped by the police last week on the way to Bangkok 'speeding',(you pay me 100 baht or go to police station and pay 400 baht) no prizes for what I payed.I love Thailand.

Have you been speeding? Did the policeman have a proof of your speeding then?

- if yes... you got a good business deal

- if no... up to you whether you let the policemen extort you or tell him "let's go to station and you show proof of me speeding"...

• Like 1

I've also seen the contracts taken away even though the bribe was paid.

Paying never guarantees anythings, often, it just raises the stakes. To my mind, not worth it.

• Like 2

depends which palm the money is placed. I'm sure if I were buying groceries from a town market its gonna cost me 30% more at least

30% more? Really? I pay the same as the locals for my groceries. You must be doing something wrong

• Like 1

Stopped by the police last week on the way to Bangkok 'speeding',(you pay me 100 baht or go to police station and pay 400 baht) no prizes for what I payed.I love Thailand.

Have you been speeding? Did the policeman have a proof of your speeding then?

- if yes... you got a good business deal

- if no... up to you whether you let the policemen extort you or tell him "let's go to station and you show proof of me speeding"...

Or as another alternative you could just run him over in your charcoal grey Ferrari and drive off..

depends which palm the money is placed. I'm sure if I were buying groceries from a town market its gonna cost me 30% more at least

True, but since you know that he'll be asking more from you than from your fellow Thai, you know that you can negotiate with him... and what I found out that it has a very interesting effect on the negotiation if you tell him in Thai, how much you are willing to pay... and learning numbers is not that difficult... my offer in Thai is almost always accepted, while my offer in English is almost always rejected...

And even if I know I still pay more, I see it as charity for the seller... enables him to keep the prices down for the Thai who mostly don't have the money to spend that I have...

Mrs Soutpeel who happens to be Thai has been sprung on numerous occassions for donations to the policemans ball, bribery and corruption is not mainly farang....open your eyes..

• Like 1

I hate to say this but it's the way it works here in business and also making 'services' available. As farangs we should accept this if we want to live here (and get the benefits of a higher standard of living) just as we think foreigners shd accept our ways in our countries.

we shd stop complaining about it and deal with it.

Who is moaning about it OP ?

It's called life, stop going on about it and get on with your life

Mrs Soutpeel who happens to be Thai has been sprung on numerous occassions for donations to the policemans ball, bribery and corruption is not mainly farang....open your eyes..

From what I have heard when thai females give donations to the police it's more to do with policemans 'balls'..

I would open your eyes there mr soutpeel

• Like 2

I wonder if a lot of the Farangs in this town realise that regardless of the laxness of Thai law, that if found guilty outside of their own country of graft they can still be indicted for this crime in their home country, and if serious enough extradited and imprisoned. I would not think the Thai authorities would put up too much resistance to a farang being kicked out of Thailand.

Edited by Pseudolus
  • Like 1