Corruption And Backhanders Are Part Of Life In Thailand And Shd Be Accepted

fish fingers

would you say Thais treat farang differently? i agree that we want things done quickly but so do many thai chinese.

I would say Thais certainly treat farangs differently than their own, that's one of the first things you'll learn when living here.

As for bribes & corruption, i've never had to pay any in the 9 years i've lived here and don't intend to start either.

A word of caution to foreigners who may be involved in corrupt activities. If the activity is sufficient to cause the threshold such as an international supply or purchase contract or the provision of services that involve funding whether indirect or direct from a foreign source, the foreign country can and will rake action. Don't think that being resident in Thailand will shield one if one is implicated in corrupt activities that touch some foreign countries. The UK's new corruption law took effect this year, and the USA has been on a bender nailing some companies. Even Canada took action finally hitting hard a company that paid a small bribe in Bangladesh. The key of course is the nature of the corruption and the size.

Appreciably, one can get away with the small bribes in Thailand and no one may seem to care. Just remember, that when you pay one of those commercial bribes, such as 10,000 baht for a licence or filing "fee", you open yourself up to being extorted at a later date. If the documents were for illegal activity, the basis remains bogus and someone a year or two later can always come and shake the farang money tree. Expedited service? Not really a bribe sometimes. E.g. Foreign countries charge higher fees for expedited visa or passport processing timelines.

would you say Thais treat farang differently? i agree that we want things done quickly but so do many thai chinese.

I would say Thais certainly treat farangs differently than their own, that's one of the first things you'll learn when living here.

As for bribes & corruption, i've never had to pay any in the 9 years i've lived here and don't intend to start either.

Than you`ve been extremely lucky.

I guess that most of the long termers living here have been victims of corruption at one time or another, perhaps without even realising.

Corruption works fine and is acceptable, providing it affects the other fella and you`re not personally on the receiving end of it.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

Expedited service? Not really a bribe sometimes. E.g. Foreign countries charge higher fees for expedited visa or passport processing timelines.

You are correct about that... but then there is a price-tag attached to that expedited service (i.e. Russian consulates have them clearly outlined for their Visa process) and then it's not bribery or extortion but just different service speeds. In Thailand, I have never seen a price tag attached to expedited service, which means the money goes into the pocket of the person getting the money....

I hate to say this but it's the way it works here in business and also making 'services' available. As farangs we should accept this if we want to live here (and get the benefits of a higher standard of living) just as we think foreigners shd accept our ways in our countries.

we shd stop complaining about it and deal with it.

Who is moaning about it OP ?

It's called life, stop going on about it and get on with your life

if you stop the trolling yes I can do that

Funny - 10 plus years, never paid a backhander. Seen it at work, but for anyone with common sense, they aren't needed.

you never have been stopped by the "police"?

I've been here near on 10 years and been stopped by the police and the only one to ever get fined was the wife, her licenses had expired. Jim

Funny - 10 plus years, never paid a backhander. Seen it at work, but for anyone with common sense, they aren't needed.

I've been here near on 10 years and been stopped by the police and the only one to ever get fined was the wife, her licenses had expired. Jim

do you actually ever drive a car?

I've gotten used to it now and find it a much easier way to live. I'm in the UK at the moment dealing with a number of legal matters including the death of my father. I wish at times that I could just speed up certain processes with a backhander.

I think that foreigners should integrate in the culture of the country they live in.

But there are limits.

You are way over the limit.

I hate to say this but it's the way it works here in business and also making 'services' available. As farangs we should accept this if we want to live here (and get the benefits of a higher standard of living) just as we think foreigners shd accept our ways in our countries.

So OP. You can start a topic telling people to stop moaning. But when I tell you to moaning I am a troll ??

How does that work then ?

And you wonder why you have no friends in the real world.

do you actually ever drive a car?

Most days take the kids to school and ride my bike [ chopper] when it's not raining, but I live in the back blocks of Issan. Things are different in farang country. Jim
  • Like 1

So OP. You can start a topic telling people to stop moaning. But when I tell you to moaning I am a troll ??

How does that work then ?

And you wonder why you have no friends in the real world.

when u have worked out the contradiction in your argument, then learn to chill out.

• Like 1

I've gotten used to it now and find it a much easier way to live. I'm in the UK at the moment dealing with a number of legal matters including the death of my father. I wish at times that I could just speed up certain processes with a backhander.

I think that foreigners should integrate in the culture of the country they live in.

But there are limits.

Exactly what my sister says.

But there are limits.

Exactly what my sister says.

I like your sister.

Most days take the kids to school and ride my bike [ chopper] when it's not raining, but I live in the back blocks of Issan. Things are different in farang country. Jim

What do you mean? I do not understand.

You asked do I drive, I drive the kids 27 km to school most days and ride a motorbike, don't speed or drive drunk. Never had to give money to the police and out here police don't take kick backs from the locals at least, as they have to live here. Do the wrong thing as a cop and the villagers will turn their backs on you and your family. Thailand is not Pattaya, BKK and Phuket, there is a whole other country out there. Jim
  • Like 2

You asked do I drive, I drive the kids 27 km to school most days and ride a motorbike, don't speed or drive drunk. Never had to give money to the police and out here police don't take kick backs from the locals at least, as they have to live here. Do the wrong thing as a cop and the villagers will turn their backs on you and your family. Thailand is not Pattaya, BKK and Phuket, there is a whole other country out there. Jim

If you suggest that my opinion is coloured by living in BKK, Pataya or Phuket, I have to disappoint you.

I live in semi rural Thailand.

As a matter of fact, i find it insulting when you suggest i live in one of those places.

If you suggest that my opinion is coloured by living in BKK, Pataya or Phuket, I have to disappoint you.

As a matter of fact, i find it insulting when you suggest i live in one of those places.

You must be a bit thin skinned if you find that insulting and I would suggest that if you are having to hand over money to the police often, you must be a bad driver or an easy mark. Jim

No, not really. Two times I got stopped, it was my fault. I paid the fine down the station and was off.

I generally follow the road rules when I drive....so that may be a key factor. Follow the rules, don't get pulled over. Rocket science for some, I know.

You must be a bit thin skinned if you find that insulting and I would suggest that if you are having to hand over money to the police often, you must be a bad driver or an easy mark. Jim

I am with Jim and I live out in a rural area. The only times I have been caught in the car and paid a fine is when I was guilty of it. Out here the police live in the community with the rest of us.

One should not have to state the obvious. Yes the amount of corruption from top to bottom is immense. The main culprits like most countries are the 'Government Officials'. Here a lot is carried out by the police and this is seen more in the smaller rural areas such as 'give us a few baht a month and we will turn a blind eye to the illegal business you are doing'. This is a part though of life in Thailand and if you want to live here you have to accept it.

I know a Farang that when he goes to immigration everytime has to wait less than 5 minutes before he is seen. One day I asked him why that was, answer - 'I always give them 200B to pay for meals for the staff'.

It is a way of life, play the game or learn to accept this is the way in Thailand, even if you don't like it.

• Like 1

I know a Farang that when he goes to immigration everytime has to wait less than 5 minutes before he is seen. One day I asked him why that was, answer - 'I always give them 200B to pay for meals for the staff'.

It is a way of life

Interesting. My on-off girlfriend arranges something with immigration and I get met off the plane in a golf cart and straight through. Last time she saw me off she came through and did some duty free shopping and forgot 2 big ready rolled joints were in her bag - I saw them come up on the x ray machine but as our man was there no one said anything.

No, not really. Two times I got stopped, it was my fault. I paid the fine down the station and was off.

I generally follow the road rules when I drive....so that may be a key factor. Follow the rules, don't get pulled over. Rocket science for some, I know.

"rocket science for some" - now you are trolling