Certificate Of Military Exemption?

I'm half Thai/American, 37 years old. I'll soon be getting my Thai ID Card. Someone told me I need to get a Certificate of Military Exemption, Sor 43? Do I get this at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? Please verify or correct me. Also, is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs located on Chaeng Wattana Rd, Bkk?

Thanks.

• Like 1

The Consular Affairs section of MFA is located on Chiang Watanna road (passport - legalization sections) just past Soi7 Government Complex entrance and after Judicial office. A modern low rise building.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=ministry+of+foreign+affairs+thailand+location+map&hl=en&hq=ministry+of+foreign+affairs+thailand&t=h&z=15

Yes, I got it....but I didn't know what you meant when you said, "the sasadee (conscription office) in your municipality." I need to get an exact location of where to go. I got it now. Thanks.

I already PM'ed you. Did you not get it?

Inquire at the amphur, that is the place where you register for military service once you have the Thai ID-card.

Ok, thanks. A military officer did interview me for about 2 hrs in the morning and then another two hours after lunch. Apparently, I was registered during this time without knowing about it. I don't speak Thai and my aunt and uncle did most of the talking to the officer. The officer wanted to know my entire life story and he wrote down a lot of notes and said he wanted to verify everything. This guy was a Thai version of Jack Nicholson. He calmly and firmly demanded answers and his English was good!!

Yes, I got it....but I didn't know what you meant when you said, "the sasadee (conscription office) in your municipality." I need to get an exact location of where to go. I got it now. Thanks.

I already PM'ed you. Did you not get it?

Can't give you a map...it depends on where you are registered! You go to the conscription office which is usually located at the municipality building.

• 6 months later...

I went to the Military Conscription Office in my Isaan province and inquired about getting a Certificate of Military Exemption, Sor Dor 8 and 43. I am half American, so they asked me how much money am I willing to pay for it. I said nothing and they said they could not help me. I have the names of both officers whom I spoke with.

Who can I report their actions to?

You might not be exempted, instead (if over 30) I believe you will be fined for not reporting earlier (about 500 baht) and then placed in the reserve army but not undergo any training, unless called upon to serve in time of war.

You might not be exempted, instead (if over 30) I believe you will be fined for not reporting earlier (about 500 baht) and then placed in the reserve army but not undergo any training, unless called upon to serve in time of war.

I did not report earlier because I moved to Thailand from the US when I was 33. I got my Thai citizenship last year when I was 37 based on my mother being Thai. I was born in Ubon and moved to the US when I was 3 months old. I was told that I am exempt.

They were trying to get money out of me. I shouldn't have to pay people to simply do their job. They started acting ignorant about the military exemption when I said no money.

Again, I'm trying to find out who I can report their actions to? Who is their boss? Who do they report to? Is there a main conscription office in Bangkok?

I've got one, but have never needed it, except when I applied for Thai nationality for my foreign wife. I wouldn't stress if you don't have one at 43, though I understand the desire to want one.

Probably best to go back to them stating the particular regulation which now exempts you to show that you are very much less desperate than a 18 year old looking to avoid the draft. Offer perhaps a bottle of something nice to see if that will get their cooperation.

I've posted in the past my certificate which shows the relevant rules. I'm on the road at the moment so can't really point to it, but if you do a search on TV under my name you'll eventually find it.

I've got one, but have never needed it, except when I applied for Thai nationality for my foreign wife. I wouldn't stress if you don't have one at 43, though I understand the desire to want one.

Probably best to go back to them stating the particular regulation which now exempts you to show that you are very much less desperate than a 18 year old looking to avoid the draft. Offer perhaps a bottle of something nice to see if that will get their cooperation.

I've posted in the past my certificate which shows the relevant rules. I'm on the road at the moment so can't really point to it, but if you do a search on TV under my name you'll eventually find it.

Yes, I printed the certificate you posted and took it along with me. I responded to a job offer and the company said I would need a Police Clearance Letter. A copy of a Sor Dor 8 and/or 43 is needed to get a Police Clearance Letter.

I'm planning on visiting the Ministry of Defense in Bkk and the Dept of Consular Affairs.

• 6 years later...
On 4/1/2013 at 12:13 PM, doontp said:

I did not report earlier because I moved to Thailand from the US when I was 33. I got my Thai citizenship last year when I was 37 based on my mother being Thai. I was born in Ubon and moved to the US when I was 3 months old. I was told that I am exempt.

They were trying to get money out of me. I shouldn't have to pay people to simply do their job. They started acting ignorant about the military exemption when I said no money.

Again, I'm trying to find out who I can report their actions to? Who is their boss? Who do they report to? Is there a main conscription office in Bangkok?

Hello. I am also a half Thai and was born in Ubon. Like you, I also need to get military services certificate (sor dor 8 or 9 I am not sure). Can you help me out in how to get it. Your cooperation in this regard will be highly appreciated. 

Abbas Khan

@Abbas Khan    I never did get a certificate.  I went to the Amphur office in the province I am registered at.  I was told that it's not important for anyone at my age.  Sorry I cannot be of further assistance.