New Kawi Z-800 Leaked From Thailand?

bbradsby

August! <deleted>!!! annoyed.gif If it's been available in Oz, the USA and Europe for months why the wait?

PS: I get some serious cash in July.......do I need it for something else??? Food, rent, Sophon, water......

PPS: No, but I will be sensible for once in my life and forgo any thoughts about a new middle weight tourer....at least until I see it!

PPS: When it comes will Kawasaki have hard pannier bags on the accessory list? I got the SHAD top box already!

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

August! <deleted>!!! annoyed.gif If it's been available in Oz, the USA and Europe for months why the wait?

According to the Thai web boards it is to build parts inventories

Which is a good because we often read about guys going in for their first service only to find

they have not even received oil filters etc for some brands of bikes we have seen sold here

Is the 450,000 in the picture the price it will be? If so then a lot more than elsewhere which is surprising as made in Thailand.

Well I think in this size their main competition is only the Ducati 795 Monster?

Also made in Thailand & roughly the same size.

Ducati Thailand has done away with the Non-ABS Monster 795 so their cheapest

Thai bike is 440k

But yes would be great if they priced it down from there.

And I think they do retail in the UK for 7500 GBP equal to 350k THB

But the 650N is 291k now & the Z1000 is 660k

My guess is yes it will be right in that Ducati price range

Maybe just under 400k if they want to spike it but they may shoot themselves in the foot

for 650 sales.

This small article explains the weight pretty good.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/kawasaki-z800#

so due to a harsh and high vibrating engine, they have to rubber mount it.

So, instead of developing a smoother engine with less vibration - this way they can use it as a stressed member so can go for a lighter aluminum frame - they have chosen to go with the old tech engine with rubber mounts therefore additional steel braces for an already heavy steel frame.

Bravo kawa! Is that what we deserve in Thailand? C'mon!

So, instead of developing a smoother engine with less vibration - this way they can use it as a stressed member so can go for a lighter aluminum frame - they have chosen to go with the old tech engine with rubber mounts therefore additional steel braces for an already heavy steel frame.

Actually that rubber mounting is standard now on many bikes.

Does not mean it is a bad bike or build in any way.

Actually that Kawa Z800 is getting very good reviews.

Not really my cup of tea but a nice bike with a nice tone

Edited by mania

This small article explains the weight pretty good.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/kawasaki-z800#

What! You trying to turn me off it!

No. It is a super good looking bike. Nice touches everwhere. Has strong engine and cool suspension and brakes on the paper.

I am just sad as it is too heavy for my needs. Otherwise, it should be a nice city bike, more aggressive and good looking than a ducati for sure and offers better value for money for me.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No. It is a super good looking bike. Nice touches everwhere. Has strong engine and cool suspension and brakes on the paper.

I am just sad as it is too heavy for my needs. Otherwise, it should be a nice city bike, more aggressive and good looking than a ducati for sure and offers better value for money for me.

You know that comparison is an interesting one to make...

Meaning the Ducati Monster 795 & the Kawasaki Z800

I have said before, this will be the comparison because, they are after all very close

in many ways so I expect Kawasaki will probably price it that way too.

But, last night out of curiosity I looked at the numbers of the two bikes & they

are REALLY close smile.png

Check this out....

Of course a lot will depend if Thailand gets a unrestricted 800 meaning the full 111 Horsepower

But even if they do look at these numbers,

Ducati Monster 795 = 86 HP & wet weight of 368 lbs so a power to weight ratio of 0.23

Kawasaki Z800 = 111 HP & a wet weight of 504 lbs so a power to weight ratio of 0.22 !

Ducati torque in ft pounds = 58

Kawasaki torque in ft lbs = 61

Last but not least a number I like to watch eh Bore/Stroke number

Personally I like bikes that are 1.50 & higher like the 600RR bikes & bigger like Panigale

But even my N250 is 1.50

Ducati B/S#= 1.33

Kawasaki = 1.39

Everyone tends to automatically assume a 4cyl with spin up faster & higher than a twin & that is usually

the case. But if the bore & Stroke is a certain ratio twins can also spin & 4's can end up more torque driven too.

So at the end of the day one can see these two are really close eh?

Initially the full power Z800 looks way better but given its weight the power to weight

tends to normalize it & it actually a hair under the Ducati

Interesting? What do you guys think? smile.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I say a 200 kg z800.

If not, none of them.

Ducati is very classic and air cooled and a 230 kg z800 is too heavy. I better invest on something else - but man looks of z800 is perfect if you are ok for that extra 50 kg! above ducati. You get an extra 30 hp too on top.

OK. Lets put it this way, If they point a gun to my face to choose one, i go for z800 even if it is heavier. Bored of that classic monster look really and its parts and service are expensive besides you get aircooled engine.

I think knocking 20 to 30 kilos of the bikes will be a breeze

That might be a bit optimistic- 10-15kg, maybe- 30kg would be really expensive.

I dont know what i was thinking as i meant to write lbs. Assuming they are similar my slipons went from 15lbs to 1.5. the pipe and cat would be another 10lbs reduction...and if we put one less gallon of fuel in thats another 6lbs...

So thats 30lbs shaved off without much thinking.

Yeah, that I w

I think knocking 20 to 30 kilos of the bikes will be a breeze

That might be a bit optimistic- 10-15kg, maybe- 30kg would be really expensive.
I dont know what i was thinking as i meant to write lbs. Assuming they are similar my slipons went from 15lbs to 1.5. the pipe and cat would be another 10lbs reduction...and if we put one less gallon of fuel in thats another 6lbs...

So thats 30lbs shaved off without much thinking.

Yeah, that I would agree with.

Using my bike as an example, going to a single-sided exhaust and different header cut about 30lbs (though as you know the stock unit was ridiculously huge and not typical)- dropping another 5lbs is easy enough (brake lines, fender eliminator, removing a couple useless reflectors, etc)- after that, it's carbon fiber parts and 'unobtainium' wheels.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

"Dave-Boo: much less in a climate where the purchase price is a smaller portion of life earnings" That sounds like an accountants point of view!

I've always bought bikes with feelings from the heart. Maybe I am more of a romantic. rolleyes.gif

I was worried that my wording was not clear.

Look at it this way. A 12 000 USD bike versus a 580 000 THB bike in their respective countries. Minimum wage in the US is 7,25 USD/hr. Minimum wage in LOS is soon to be 300 THB/day

You thinking is wrong at the exact moment you mention minium wage worlkers and purchase of brand new big bikes. These two thigns don't go together, never did and never will. Not in the US, not in Thailand, not anywhewre else in the world.

So we can talk bike prices as much as you want, but please don;t mentioned factory workey, as they are not the buyers for big bikes - period.

Edited by paz

So changing the exhaust for something lighter then adding a carry rack and top box, pannier racks and panniers plus a minimum windscreen would get me back to about factory weight. Then I have to look to other areas for removing weight. Where would I start!

And this isn't my first choice for a medium range tourer. But the price is right!

So changing the exhaust for something lighter then adding a carry rack and top box, pannier racks and panniers plus a minimum windscreen would get me back to about factory weight. Then I have to look to other areas for removing weight. Where would I start!

And this isn't my first choice for a medium range tourer. But the price is right!

This weight is really not going to ruin your enjoyment. I wouldnt get bent out of shape over it. Yes its heavier then other models but it will have more then enough hp and maneuverability to make the weight a non-issue.

Rent one first just to be sure....

• 2 weeks later...

504 lbs on twisty mountain roads?

Not too sure about that.

Well it beats the hell out of 639lbs! Pushing my big bike around in the shed has me breaking out in a sweat!

post-63954-0-90135000-1371709440_thumb.j

But I still lub my big lug nut!

Although I regret not bringing my ST1100 with me when I came.

post-63954-0-43539200-1371709379_thumb.j

I owned it for years and it never let me down.

Hard not to buy that at 430,000baht (my price estimate)

Undecided smile.png

I know it is 90 lbs more than the Yamaha & in this pic it does look it.

It just seems pretty thick & bulky. Could just be the pic

Will have to see it in the flesh when it arrives.

Yesterday I was picking up some bolts at Kawasaki & they said a couple months.

It wasn't that long ago that 500lbs was the benchmark- it's easy to hustle a bike that size through the twisties, and it will have stability that a lot of lighter sportbikes lack.

:)

That must have been very long ago as even my 14 year old 900RR was 60 pounds lighter fully faired from the factory

& that was stock

This is supposedly a naked style bike & surely advances have been made.

As for twisties I guess it will depend on how tight

Flickable is flickable & when weight & width gets up there I do not find clamoring from one side

of the seat to the other gets easier when it gets wider & heavier.

I am not saying it is a total moose or anything but weight does matter & distribution & height of that weight even more so for me.

Stability should not be an issue on anything 250 size & up if the tires & suspension are sorted.

All just my opinio/prefs of course & everyone rides differently.

I will look forward to seeing this one though as it is a 4cyl & price should be not extreme

It was more like 40lbs- those Wiki wet-weight numbers (if that's what you referenced) are off- it's also within about 25lbs of an R1.

And that 900RR was an incredibly twitchy machine (I owned a 1st gen with the 16" front hoop- it never felt very stable, though it turned in like lightning).