New Kawi Z-800 Leaked From Thailand?

bbradsby

Another scoop for Hell for Leather, at least in the English web! The HFL site references a Thai website Siamriderclub post about 'leaked' info/pix of a 2013 Z800. I can't access the images, and don't read Thai. Anybody got any poop on this? If assembled in LoS, it could be a stonkin mid-size (sorry, out in the real world, a 'Big Bike' is pretty much a liter-and-above) competitor.

Dear Kawasaki:

Please... NO just-below-the-taxed-to-hell-imports-pricing ripoffs!

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One could imagine that Kawi, if producing the bike, would release it at about the same price as their VN900*. I.E. about 485K. I can't see it being much cheaper than that as one would imagine it would cost at least 80% of the Z-1000's price. After all, a similar pricing difference between the 125cc and 250cc KLX exists (meaning that per cc difference the price difference is similar).

I haven't got any plans to buy a sports bike just yet....but I would have a serious look at that if it ever turns up in the dealership. If the price was 3xx,xxx baht it would be tempting!

Ummh, a Z1000 is 585 000 THB. Assuming this bike is a sleeved down version a la the ER-4F, which in Canada sells for 7000 vs. the ER-6F's 8300 (the magic ~80% again!), how is Kawasaki going to sell it so cheap?

I haven't got any plans to buy a sports bike just yet....but I would have a serious look at that if it ever turns up in the dealership. If the price was 3xx,xxx baht it would be tempting!

Ummh, a Z1000 is 585 000 THB. Assuming this bike is a sleeved down version a la the ER-4F, which in Canada sells for 7000 vs. the ER-6F's 8300 (the magic ~80% again!), how is Kawasaki going to sell it so cheap?

As the leak originated in Thailand perhaps it will be made here, if so then a 350-400k price tag is feasible.

so, when will this be launched then??? Need more information about it... It might be priced along with the FZ8 which would be around 480k... that would seriously be a nice thing to have...

(No nothing against Yamaha, but no showrooms close to NST)...

Cheaper than that and it is a give to have one of these..

(Are they going to make all the people who bought an ER6 to upgrade now? Time to get something bigger??

I will give it until Christmas, if nothing is heard by then, get myself the z1000... don't want to wait any longer..

As the leak originated in Thailand perhaps it will be made here, if so then a 350-400k price tag is feasible.

Not to be negative, but how?

Assuming it is a sleeved down Z1000, which considering Kawi does not have a suitable 800 now, and the use the rest of the current bike (or worst have to develop a new bike as that is more cost to them) could they slash 50% off the Z1000's price?

Assuming it is a sleeved down Z1000, which considering Kawi does not have a suitable 800 now, and the use the rest of the current bike (or worst have to develop a new bike as that is more cost to them) could they slash 50% off the Z1000's price?

Dave .. which price you talking about.. The Thai price? if so then you need to take the import duty into the equation. If made in Thailand i would see this price below the Ducati 695.

Well isn't the Z750 just a sleeved version of the Z1000, not too difficult to bore it out to increase the cc's to 800. Oct 4th is looking like the official release date so we'll just have to wait and see.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/kawasaki-z800-leaks/21335.html

Edited by skybluestu

[Dave .. which price you talking about.. The Thai price? if so then you need to take the import duty into the equation. If made in Thailand i would see this price below the Ducati 695.

Kawi is going to spin up another Z1000 line using sleeved down bikes in flood prone Thailand to massively undercut their small sales of (I assume Japan made) real z1000? If the Z1000 being an import assumption is correct. or even if it is domestically produced, I stand by my pricing guesstimate.

Well isn't the Z750 just a sleeved version of the Z1000, not too difficult to bore it out to increase the cc's to 800. Oct 4th is looking like the official release date so we'll just have to wait and see.

Yep. Or the Z750 is just getting bigger sleeves and will be 'replaced' by the Z800.

I would seriously be impressed if Kawasaki will introduce a Z800, the ink on the all-new 2013 Kawasaki Z750 introduction papers is just dry. Also the step from a relative simple parallel-twin engine, like the ER6N/F, to a modern four-cylinder is also a big step for Kawasaki Thailand.

For competition, the overall feeling is that the new 2013 Z750 is already better than most of the competition in the 750 to 800cc class (and costs less).

I would love one of these but if it's an import it won't be much cheaper than the Z1000, so why not go 'full hog' and get the 1000?

Personaly i'd rather spend this kind of money on a 1-3 year old Ducati/Yamaha/Honda etc. But that's just me :)

Kawasaki is no where near producing inline fours in Thailand. If you want more than a twin you'll be looking at an import.

as in the Ducati mini-monster, if the engine is imported they can still price it in LoS such that there is a six month waiting list. here's hoping Big Green can work something out with Board of Investment to minimize the taxation and really sharpen their pencil with the pricing. They have a big hole in their line-up between the big bikes (litrebikes) and the pea shooters that a proper four pot mill bolted to decent running gear would fill.

visually, it's a bit of an adolescent composition. very busy, to my eye. still, it's a Kawi so technically should be well up to the task. I'd strip the transformer plastic bits, not sure how to address those awkward 'lobes' hanging off the tank, bolt on dual retro 7" diameter headlights, and bin the hoover exhaust can for a proper can to highlight the tasty headers...

Kawasaki is no where near producing inline fours in Thailand. If you want more than a twin you'll be looking at an import.

as in the Ducati mini-monster, if the engine is imported they can still price it in LoS such that there is a six month waiting list. here's hoping Big Green can work something out with Board of Investment to minimize the taxation and really sharpen their pencil with the pricing. They have a big hole in their line-up between the big bikes (litrebikes) and the pea shooters that a proper four pot mill bolted to decent running gear would fill.

Big hole? I don't see it... They have KSR 110's D-Tracker and KLX 125's, in the 250 class there the D-Tracker, KLX and Ninjette), 650's (ER6n, Ninja 650, Versys). Restricted ZX10R sold horribly because most buyers in Thailand are willing to pay more for a full power liter bike, but by all accounts the Z1000 has been selling quite well.

Supersports remain luxury vehicles in Thailand. 600cc supersport bikes have traditionally not sold well here because price wise the liter bikes haven't been that much more than the 600s so most buyers just spring the extra dosh for the 1000cc.

As much as I would like to see more model choices, most Thai buyers will choose a Z1000 over a Z750 or Z800 so I can understand Kawasaki, Thailand's desire to not clutter the field.

Still hoping we'll see the new ZX14R from Kawasaki, Thailand this year. It already kills the Suzuki Hayabusa in performance. Price thrown about at the Bangkok Motor Show was </=800k Baht which would make it a Busa killer. Saw a few on the roads in the US during my summer tour and they are stunning bikes!! Red Baron can't import them fast enough. I predict Kawasaki, Thailand will be on to a winner if they offer it here.

img_1154.jpg

To each their own, but to me, the twin cylinder 650's are the hole in the range. They have these stonking four-cylinder liter-class sportbikes, then no proper mid-size [600 - 750] true sportbike with proper power, suspension & brakes.

Ya, lotsa 'Busas in the US, mostly poplar with the stunter-wannabe sheeple. Some truly sweet custom work on them is displayed each year at Monterey BIke Nights when MotoGP comes to town. Box Stock, they are cruise missiles and have a well-integrated visual composition. If I wanted a sport-ish cruiser besides my stored-away sad.png Ducati ST-4s back home, the 'Busa would get consideration along with the Kawi ZX-1XXX.

To each their own, but to me, the twin cylinder 650's are the hole in the range. They have these stonking four-cylinder liter-class sportbikes, then no proper mid-size [600 - 750] true sportbike with proper power, suspension & brakes.

Ya, lotsa 'Busas in the US, mostly poplar with the stunter-wannabe sheeple. Some truly sweet custom work on them is displayed each year at Monterey BIke Nights when MotoGP comes to town. Box Stock, they are cruise missiles and have a well-integrated visual composition. If I wanted a sport-ish cruiser besides my stored-away sad.png Ducati ST-4s back home, the 'Busa would get consideration along with the Kawi ZX-1XXX.

Absolutely to each their own- I personally have always thought the Hayabusa is one of the most butt-ugly bikes on the planet, but there are plenty of people who love them.

Busas are crazy-popular here in Thailand among the rich kid crowd who are obviously trying to compensate for something ;)

I already addressed the poor sales of proper 600cc supersports in Thailand- because the 600cc supersports are not much less expensive than a 1000cc they simply don't sell well.

The racing scene here in Thailand bears this out as well- the SuperBike race scene here in Thailand is dominated by the 1000cc class, and 600cc aren't even allowed to race in SB. R2M tried to get a 600cc class started last season and they had ONE 600cc bike show up for the race. Clearly the focus and demand is on liter bikes in Thailand and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Sales manager at Yamaha, Thailand (back when they were still located behind Esplanade on Ratchada) told me several years ago that the R1 outsold the R6 by a factor of 10 to 1 in Thailand because the R1 cost only a little more than the R6. Back when Yamaha were selling the R6 in Thailand it was only 120k baht cheaper than the R1.

Given the pricing and the "bigger is better" attitude of your "average" Thai supersport buyer it's no surprise that R6 sales languished to the point that Yamaha stopped selling the R6 in Thailand.

Despite that fact that it's a great bike, it just didn't sell well here.

Yet for some odd reason they're now trying to sell the FZ8 in Thailand for 480k Baht yet you can get the FZ1 for only 110k Baht more.

Seeing as how the FZ8 is basically just a sleeved down FZ1 I would expect the vast majority of buyers to pony up the extra 110k Baht for the FZ1.

The people who buy these bikes aren't going to sweat such a small price difference and go for the smaller bike just to save 110k baht.

I guess that's Thai marketing for you ;)

Absolutely to each their own- I personally have always thought the Hayabusa is one of the most butt-ugly bikes on the planet, but there are plenty of people who love them.

Busas are crazy-popular here in Thailand among the rich kid crowd who are obviously trying to compensate for something wink.png

I already addressed the poor sales of proper 600cc supersports in Thailand- because the 600cc supersports are not much less expensive than a 1000cc they simply don't sell well.

The racing scene here in Thailand bears this out as well- the SuperBike race scene here in Thailand is dominated by the 1000cc class, and 600cc aren't even allowed to race in SB. R2M tried to get a 600cc class started last season and they had ONE 600cc bike show up for the race. Clearly the focus and demand is on liter bikes in Thailand and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Sales manager at Yamaha, Thailand (back when they were still located behind Esplanade on Ratchada) told me several years ago that the R1 outsold the R6 by a factor of 10 to 1 in Thailand because the R1 cost only a little more than the R6. Back when Yamaha were selling the R6 in Thailand it was only 120k baht cheaper than the R1.

Given the pricing and the "bigger is better" attitude of your "average" Thai supersport buyer it's no surprise that R6 sales languished to the point that Yamaha stopped selling the R6 in Thailand.

Despite that fact that it's a great bike, it just didn't sell well here.

Yet for some odd reason they're now trying to sell the FZ8 in Thailand for 480k Baht yet you can get the FZ1 for only 110k Baht more.

Seeing as how the FZ8 is basically just a sleeved down FZ1 I would expect the vast majority of buyers to pony up the extra 110k Baht for the FZ1.

The people who buy these bikes aren't going to sweat such a small price difference and go for the smaller bike just to save 110k baht.

I guess that's Thai marketing for you wink.png

It is odd, as in the States the price difference between the ZX-6/10R is 4000 USD (~120K THB). Between the Ninja 650/1000 is 3600 USD (~108K THB). Between the CBR 600/1000 there's only a difference of 2360 USD (~71K THB). 3100 USD (~93K) between the R6/R1. 1900/1000 (57K/30K) between the FZ1/8/6. There's a 2200 USD (~66K THB) difference between the GSX-R1000/600. Finally there's a 2100 USD (~63K THB) difference between the V-Strom 1000/650.

I don't recall there being a massive disparity in the States between those various bikes (least ways the ones that were available when I was staying there) and the pricing differential (with the exception of Kawasaki) is much less in a climate where the purchase price is a smaller portion of life earnings.

"Dave-Boo: much less in a climate where the purchase price is a smaller portion of life earnings" That sounds like an accountants point of view!

I've always bought bikes with feelings from the heart. Maybe I am more of a romantic. rolleyes.gif

"Dave-Boo: much less in a climate where the purchase price is a smaller portion of life earnings" That sounds like an accountants point of view!

I've always bought bikes with feelings from the heart. Maybe I am more of a romantic. rolleyes.gif

I was worried that my wording was not clear.

Look at it this way. A 12 000 USD bike versus a 580 000 THB bike in their respective countries. Minimum wage in the US is 7,25 USD/hr. Minimum wage in LOS is soon to be 300 THB/day (and in the Central Provinces is about what a factory worker makes now). We'll assume that a person buying one of these bikes has a magical interest free loan with no downpayment. They'll use 1/3 of their wages, for a 5 day work week to pay it off. This imaginary person in the States can afford a weekly payment of 96,67 USD (or 386,67 USD per month). The Thai will be able to afford a weekly payment of 500 THB (or 2000 THB per month). The American will be able to pay off the bike in 31 months (or 2,6 years) and for the Thai it will take a whopping 290 months (or 24 years). That is to say, to correctly compare the cost against one's earnings you'd have to be seriously considering purchasing a bike that retails for 112 134,3 USD in the States. I would assume that a significant portion of the boardmembers actually make more than minimum wage and thus you can adjust the value of this theoretical Stateside bike upwards the same amount as what you earn over minimum.

Perhaps it is an accountant's point of view, but for the average Joe/Somchai, you have to wonder if they're willing to commit over half their working life to purchase such a bike.

z 800 looks very nice man. z 1000 is a little fat for me psychologically.

i hope they one day some maker will produce\ assemble a nice inline 4 sport bike in Thailand soon and sell it for a reasonable price - let it be supersport, touring or naked, 400 cc or 800 cc whatever! -. I hope this with all my heart.

It is not about money but i feel like stupid when i need to pay for a bike double than USA and Europe here.

Bike gods, please listen to us man..

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't be too sure about that buddy! I was in Singapore recently and was told the (made in Thailand) Z800 will be sold very shortly. A Kawasaki dealer in Holland also said the same when I dropped in yesterday afternoon.

I recently found out about the insanely high import taxes in Thailand, hopefully this will avoid them and will be my first bike in LOS next year.