The English Language

marshbags

Every so often members surface who consider themselves word perfect ect. ect. and pathetically highlight it in an attempted slite of our ablility re spelling, grammar, and the use commars, apostrophies and improper use ect. ect.

To many members of Thai Visa, English is not their main language and others like myself do not always spell, use grammar as per whatever is considered correct use of should not have to be critically chastized by those who think they know better re our ( in their view } adequacy/ies

Many of us do not always tap the key pad as intended and indeed sometimes do not hit them hard enough to activate a required letter for whatever reasons ect. ect.

What all members should and mostly do is to be courteously understanding of our shortcomings, consider the above when posting any unimportant nitpicking rubbish when communicating in English.

I have yet to come across any post I could not understand nor fail to interpret what is intended.

Apart that is from those who have had a few to many sherberts, laugh.png or maybe having a rant as many of us do about something that annoys, rolleyes.gif or idiot trolls and no brainers ( who thanks to our mods are speedily dealt fairly ) thumbsup.gif

Members like me who are not word perfect ect. ect. would appreciate understanding when we fall below the standards of self appointed experts so please give us a little consideration before pathetically complaining.

Surely it has to be about content and debate.

If it had to include a particular members lack of or misuse along with typing at a certain higher level, imagine how many of us would be excluded from being active and valued participants.

Content should be what is judged along with our well meaning comments and observations, not the presentation ect. ect.

Come on offenders be reasonable and empathise with us about this pleaseee.

IMHO as always

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 2

Ability, not Ablility;

There is no R in commas, and no I in apostrophes;

Third paragraph should start with a capital M;

"Iif it had to?" What does that mean? Lif? hmmm

Apart from that, I completely agree with you biggrin.png

Edited by Pseudolus
  • Like 1

Personally think what happens on TV is due to numerous "English teachers" on TV bringing their work home with them or they think they are still teaching a class.

I personally couldnt care less how someone spells or structures their words,as long as the intent of what is written its understood.

Lest not forget the exercise which either Oxford or Cambridge (cant remember which) came up with and complied a whole paragraph of English text which had numerous spelling mistakes, but the whole paragraph was perfectly readable and understood, there by proving spelling of a word had very little to do with understanding of what was written

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Personally think what happens on TV is due to numerous "English teachers" on TV bringing their work home with them or they think they are still teaching a class.

I personally couldnt care less how someone spells or structures their words,as long as the intent of what is written its understood.

Right quite.

• Like 1

I've seen plenty of posts where the poor level of grammar and punctuation obscures or seriously detracts from the intended meaning of the post. I would guess most of these are not from people for whom English is a second language, but from people who are lazy and a bit thick. I'm not one for criticising every spelling mistake or typing error, but if you can't be bothered to put your post in a coherent and understandable form, which is the purpose of having a language, then I don't really see why you expect sensible responses.

so den ill the bloke 2 sort out his post n come back when theirs some punctuation and that or ill not bother to respond you know what i mean its not that hard to do man

re.

as long as the intent of what is written its understood.

not spelling but see if you can understand this : )

good luck .. dave2

Pretty straightforward. A choice of dog or cat curry....tick one of the boxes at the bottom for eat in or take away. biggrin.png

• Like 1

re.

as long as the intent of what is written its understood.

not spelling but see if you can understand this : )

good luck .. dave2

Pretty straightforward. A choice of dog or cat curry....tick one of the boxes at the bottom for eat in or take away. biggrin.png

bah.gif Almost lost my breakfast... too early for such jokes...

OP........I would say the General Forum has been Good English Police free for a while.........it certainly used to be a lot worse.

Anyway......I understand your concern.......I don't post much on TV for the very reason you mention.

Was that a pig I saw flying by....or a scotsman with his wallet out buying a round........smile.png

Am I the only one who didn't understand the OP?

Probably

• Like 1

OP........I would say the General Forum has been Good English Police free for a while.........it certainly used to be a lot worse.

Anyway......I understand your concern.......I don't post much on TV for the very reason you mention.

Was that a pig I saw flying by....or a scotsman with his wallet out buying a round........smile.png

Probably

Oh ouch! laugh.png

Now you are in for it...

OP- Don't feel bad.There people in my (english?) speaking country that I can't understand as well as you, written or probably vocal.

As far as typing, I normally type with two fingers, after a few beers I graduate to one and re-read it unless my eyes are crossed.I seem to understand a Thai that is speaking english better when we are both half gassed, or at least I think I do...

if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.

Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

• Like 2

if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.

Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

Thats the one...

Xenophobia...Koren food...hmmm can we work sin sod and gay rights into this as well please? biggrin.png

Spelling mistake intentional. wink.png

Lest not forget Bargirls, katoys anf Hi-so's as well, however the one thing I think we draw the line at is British pensions.........tongue.png

Probably

flying_pig.gif

Probably

flying_pig.gif

<sigh> If only the truth were known...:rolleyes:

Probably

flying_pig.gif

Unfortunately I cannot see the pictures (they do not seem to make it through the great firewall) so I have no idea what is going on...if I even had before......blink.png

sorry guys and girls, Ive said this before and will say it again -

lets not start a thread to complain about those that complain.

if you find a particular post offensive, or against forum rules, please report the post.

on that note, this thread is closed. cheers :)

• Like 1