Getting A Free Upgrade To Business Class

autan

Not that it matters at this point, but I concur that the ONLY thing that matters in getting an upgrade is good a customer you are to the airline.

My wife and I fly about 40,000 miles a year on Cathay Pacific and we now get upgraded almost every time we fly. Our usual route is BKK-JFK via HKG. In fact, I'm very disappointed the few times we don't get the upgrade.

We buy the cheapest coach tickets available. Usually we check in early, but occasionally late, depending on our connections. I dress "comfortably" -- T-shirt, shorts, sandals. None of that matters. It's rare that we get our upgrade when we check in. My wife always asks, but only once have they said "OK" and I'm sure we were going to get that upgrade anyway.

We get lounge passes because of our FF status and usually, sometime while we're enjoying those lounge priveldges, our name gets called so that we can go to the desk and get the upgraded boarding passes.

We've never been upgraded on the short flight from BKK-HKG because those flights are never full, but HKG-JFK is always fully booked in coach. We have been met by a CX agent when getting off our flight in HKG who has given us our new Business Class boarding passes for HKG-BKK.

Cathay Pacific has my business for as long as I'm flying and they continue to upgrade me at least occasionally. I'm sure if I switched to another airline I'll never get another free upgrade until I've built up a FF a/c with over 100,000 miles.

Yes, many report of CX overselling Y on JFK-HKG and heaps of OpUps. I'm not sure I'd rely on that.

How many times do you fly JFK-HKG-BKK-HKG-JFK per year? Once or twice? How many times have you flown? Gotten OpUpped?

The major issue an airline has in giving out free upgrades, even with OpUps is in "de-valuing" the business class product, and in marginalizing loyal flyers who may have paid for business class, or paid for the upgrade. It is a challenge, but as mentioned OpUps are cost-effective for an airline in oversell situations. Yes, you are loyal but you are not necessarily "profitable" (CASM>RASM), and CX has 'trained' you to purchase the least expensive ticket, and expect a free upgrade.

Lomatopo ----- Airline Guy ? Yield Management ? you're spot on.

CX are probably one of the best in terms of yield control, LH is another one dump via consolidators and entice others with direct offerings passengers wait with bated breath will an OP/UG happen sort of like playing the lottery.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iomatopo

Each time I was upgraded at check in not when on board.

I was curious about the earlier poster who slips 2000 baht into his passport as an incentive to get upgraded when checking in. Does this really work?

Ther is no way this could happen.

1) There are CTV cameras that would pick this up.

2) The staff would not risk their hard earned jobs and the integrity of the airlines would be brought into question...no way IMHO

marshbags wink.png

Agreed. The poster who made the claim that you can get an upgrade by sticking a couple of thousand baht in their passport is living in fantasy land - either seen too many movies or still thinks that local time is 1950...

.....I would challenge them to prove otherwise...

• Like 1

Many airline inventory systems sell more economy tickets than seats if the business class cabin doesn't have a demand. So, if an aircraft has a capacity of 70 in business and 230 in economy, they might only sell 40 in business and as a result offer up to 280 or more in economy and just upgrade like mad. For the upgrades, frequent flyer status is the key; however, on certain routes, there just aren't enough high level flyers - but it is a lottery and rarely if ever does a request get granted just because they asked.

I was on a BA flight from LAX-LHR many years ago and a male passenger asked the flight attendant if he could be upgraded because he had a sore leg; the flight attendant quickly and loudly replied "if we upgraded everyone with an ailment, all passengers would soon have ailments."

Iomatopo

Each time I was upgraded at check in not when on board.

I was curious about the earlier poster who slips 2000 baht into his passport as an incentive to get upgraded when checking in. Does this really work?

Ther is no way this could happen.

1) There are CTV cameras that would pick this up.

2) The staff would not risk their hard earned jobs and the integrity of the airlines would be brought into question...no way IMHO

marshbags wink.png

Agreed. The poster who made the claim that you can get an upgrade by sticking a couple of thousand baht in their passport is living in fantasy land - either seen too many movies or still thinks that local time is 1950...

.....I would challenge them to prove otherwise...

Think he was a bit confused with a speeding ticket in LOS. smile.png
  • Like 1

As you can see from the variety of posts. There are two types of members on Thai Visa.

The first (I count myself included), seize the opportunity to get what they want from life and end up sipping champagne in business class. Merely impressing themselves for having the balls to ask for something better than they have.

The second, convince themselves, that getting an upgrade is impossible and that you should just cough up the cash if you want the priviledge of flying business or resign yourself to the fact that economy class is home and and theres no point asking, because after all, they might say "no". After all theres no way anyone can possible get an upgrade just for turning up smart and asking is there.

Or as I suspect, they secretly employ my techniques while smoke screening the "impossible" so they get what they want, while your eating your dinner off someones overly reclined chair.

Free your minds people.

TTFN

Autan

• Like 1

LHR to JFK

I was about 25 and was asked "Do you mind sitting upstairs", I of course agreed. I have been upgraded 5 or 6 times, but would never even consider trying what the OP suggested. Some of the recent postings on this forum are beyond belief and I wonder if they are genuine or "planted" and designed to keep the audience active?

OK boys we have been caught red handed. We have secretly given up our time to plant posts on TV in order to keep 54321 active. He has seen through our plans and we should just admit it.

Yes these posts have been planted - The Ho Ho Ho Jolly Green Giant made me do it under duress.

Best not to feed the troll, marshbags....the most recent posts were absurd enough; ridiculous statements which could only be meant to bait others...

coffee1.gif

On a lighter note - Thai takes delivery of their new A380 shortly, to arrive BKK on the 27th.... Should be an interesting sight...

The first (I count myself included), seize the opportunity to get what they want from life and end up sipping champagne in business class. Merely impressing themselves for having the balls to ask for something better than they have.

I for one am pleased that you can impress yourself so easily. :)

No one is saying that you cannot ask for an upgrade. All some of us are saying is that it is unlikely that you will receive an upgrade based on a verbal request, appearance, attire, aftershave. Some may receive a complimentary upgrade based on an oversell situation, an OpUp, via an automated process that begins up to 24 hours prior to departure. This process varies by airline, and is obviously confidential, but will tend to favor individual travelers with the highest status with the operating airline's FFP, or perhaps paid for the highest fare bucket (Y/B)? Front-line agents do not have the ability to override this automated system, and every transaction is recorded for future audit, so even a senior service manager may be subject to scrutiny. As mentioned, dis-serviced passengers may jump to the top of the queue.

I am curious, do you ask for something better, with no expectation of having to pay extra for it, than you have when checking in to a hotel? Riding the BTS? Purchasing a car? Seating in a cinema? Dining out? Or is it just airline upgrades?

I think we'd all like to hear about your recent successes with airline upgrades, please be specific especially re: carriers, routes, your FFP status.

In ~ 2.5 million BiS (actual flight miles) I have never asked for a complimentary upgrade, but I have received several ( ~ 4 ) usually as a result of MX/dis-service. FWIW, I am rarely eligible for an upgrade as I usually have already used a free (earned) certificate to confirm an upgrade from Y to J or J to P.

Edited by lomatopo

Imagine dropping your bags off at the checkin and going to the business lounge, drinking a few beers and eating some free food. The waiting in the gate with the hoi paloy and getting called up first. The cabin crew taking your hand luggage and stowing it for you. Asking you if you would like a scented towel to freshen up. The bringing round some champagne, sipping it gently while you relax into your lie flat bed/seat.

Your only worry and concern is do you stay awake to drink champagne and watch the films or do you lie flat and arrive at your destination refreshed after leaving the plane first.

Business class used to be a better seat, now its a better life.

You need to travel business. That emergency bulkhead seat will pale in comparison.

Are you serious? This is by far one of the more bizarre threads I have seen on this forum.

You sound like you are having delusions of grandeur - perhaps one is aspiring well above one's station?

I feel you may have some issues......

blink.png

Hilarious.....

Agreed

The world is full of chancers.

I hope he never parks next to me when I,m flying, especially long haul, can you imagine the line of conversation he try to make with you.

He,d not last longer than his start up before I ignored him / her.

Fancy opening a thread like this on a respectable forum, it speaks volumes about his character whistling.gif

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Respectable forum?? ohmy.pnggiggle.gif

I think we'd all like to hear about your recent successes with airline upgrades, please be specific especially re: carriers, routes, your FFP status.

+1

"Pics or it didn't happen" is probably the more colloquial way of saying this - simply: put up or shut up? whistling.gif

I was checking in for my flight from London to New York when a smart arse guy in the next row said to the lass checking him in "I am booked to fly in business class and my wife only has an economy ticket, we really need to sit together", the lass said "that's no problem sir I can arrange that", big grin from the guy to his wife, "I will seat you in economy".

I thought that was pure class, those check-in staff have seen and heard it all.

On my flight this spring CPH-BKK waiting by the gate, an attendant came and called my name. She asked if she could move me to business. The plane was full and a man had a seat in economy and hiswife in business. I had the seat next to the husband. So yes, I swopped with the lady, no probs.

That's interesting ...

It's exactly what happened to me by chance some years ago returning to Europe with an EU airline. I was so horrified at the thought of 11hrs in Y class after such a nice 6 weeks, that I decided to pay for an upgrade. I asked at the check-in counter if C had anything free, and said if so I'd like to pay for the upgrade. Check-in said flight was full so no rebooking possible. I resigned myself to my fate and entered the people mill.

Later just as boarding got underway, I was called to the departure desk. I thought they would possibly offer me a night at the airport hotel to get a complete family on board or something, but no - "We are full in economy and wanted to ask if you'd join us in business class?" To which I said "err, I'm not sure about that, I'll have to think about it"- NOT!

I don't know if the initial asking, plus having a Miles and More card, being alone, and returning on my third flight BKK-VIE inside a year, or any combination of those, perhaps also played a role. Must also say that I wouldn't pester busy staff after a clear NO with those other clearly fabricated questions. I used to work for an airline! Don't make yourself unpopular - check-in staff can make your life just as uncomfortable (or comfortable!) as waiters.

LOvely flight, arrived in Vienna feeling like a human being for the first time ever, and yes it's addictive - I've only flown buisness since, albeit with Air Berlin until this time.

My trip this winter is LH outbound and TG inbound (A380). All in C and all paid for though with Miles and More that I've scrimped together with a few flights and special offers over the years. Air Berlin doesn't have any decent connection any more anyway so Austrian/LH would be my choice now even if I was flying Y.

I'll be back to the board with a couple of questions as time draws nearer. This'll be my 7th trip in 9 years, some for several months in winter, some for a few weeks at other times. I really got the bug the first time. Love it!

Edited by BusyB

I just don't understand all the negativity on here ... the OP was just trying to help ... nothing wrong with that imo ... it's worked for him 4 times last 3 years, or do some think he was just telling a 'white' lie about this ?

IF you dont like what he posted, just move on to the next thread ...

Sounds like a lot of hard work. I tend to hand over two thousand baht (inside my passport) to the girl behind the check-in desk then ask while smiling at the same time. Remember it's Thailand. Anything can be bought.

What is the success rate?whistling.gif

"Colored lady?" What does that detail even have to do with the story? Except maybe tell us something about you....

I read somewhere? On Thaivisa?

There was a discussion on board once on a flight, as a white guy, did not want to share his row with an African colored man.

The white complained to the stewardess and she solved the problem and Up graded the African to a Business class seat, to the astonishment of the white man and the cheers, of some other passengers around.tongue.png

Regarding dress ect for possible Upgrade.

I was surprised to have a younger man sitting as my neighbor in the plane, who was dressed in a black suit, nicely dressed and shaved.

But I could see Tattoos emerge from his neck under his shirt and a bit on his arms.

I asked and he told me later, he is a Muay Thai fighter and with his usual appearance and Tattoos, he would never have a chance for an Upgrade to Business Class.

But with suit and tie it worked sometimes on overbooked flights and they picked him, as a suitable, acceptable, Business Class passenger.

For him worth the afford.wink.png

I got upgraded once, they gave me the menu, she came back and said,

''What would you like sir'', I said,

''That that and that'', she said,''

''You get all that in the h'orderves sir''

crying.gif

Funny.biggrin.png

Who reads exactly, knows more.wink.png I remember my Glory Days dealing with these menus.

Edited by ALFREDO

What a load of <deleted>!!

Granted no harm in asking, but usually the response is fully booked or if there is availability may I see your credit card for purchasing the upgrade.

Key to an upgrade.....

1. Frequent Mileage Tier Status

2. Reward for being inconvenienced

3. Full Price Fare

The number of times I have been upgraded to business or first all 3 of these scenarios above played out.

100 % Agree

The staff normaly can do nothing, the computer system shows the staff who get a upgrade.

Got in the last 18 months 6 upgrads with Emirates due my Silver status.

Sometimes on check in, sometimes shortly before boarding.

A380 Business Class is great,

I fly around 100000 miles a year give or take a bit and i try to always use the same airline. United at this point in my life. They seem to give me an upgrade on at least one leg of my flights every time I fly. I have been upgraded to business class in laydown seats twice now. Usually it is on a US flight but i have got international upgrades also. I have 2 free upgrades on domestic flights that I have not even been able to use as they always seem to give me an upgrade anyway. I agree with some of the stuff you posted but I always know I am upgraded at least a day before the flight I am getting the upgrade for as they send me the notice. I flew Cathay Pacific one time as my company got me the flight. It was my first time flying with them so I got online and joined their Marco Polo Club for 50 bucks and with that I got to board with first class people. They sell the exit row seats for 100 US but it was nice to have that seat on the LA to Hong Kong flight so i was ok with paying the 100 bucks as my company had paid for the flight anyway. They seemed to have a lot of laydown seats on the plane too as to the way they lay them out. Safe flights everyone!

I once went home at Ramadan with my preferred airline and it was all but empty.

No one was invited to upgrade even on that occasion.

I had the company of a Mancunian who was very good company and had similar outlook on life as myself.

Yorkie and Lancashire lads always do when they meet up cheesy.gif

The flight attendants were practically fighting over us and it was very enjoyable experience.

He had a house in Pattaya at the time.

My only regret was not being able to contact him since then, I only hope he is doing O.K. and is still enjoying life.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

A few people have mentioned on this thread about checking before booking or flying how full the plane is. How do you managed that?

For those without access to the airline's inventory, or even a GDS, it may be possible to get an approximate feel for loads based on a seat-map for a particular flight, understanding that not everyone with a confirmed reservation has a seat assignment - that said a full seat-map and the inability to get a seat assignment may be one indication of an over-sold flight. There are also some paid tools like KVS and ExpertFlyer which offer a view on loads, often based on fare bucket availability. So when you see all fare buckets, including Y, zeroed out, there is a good chance that flight is over-sold - as the airline may still be selling tickets. Airlines oversell based on historical data on no-shows, cancellations, missed connections, weather, illness, etc.

On many airline's websites you can view the seat-map based on a dummy booking.

Personally in the case of an oversell I think it is fine, provided you are willing to take a different flight, perhaps a day or two later, to ask/volunteer for a VDB (voluntary denied boarding) which can result in significant compensation, in the form of travel credits. In some cases you might even still get on the original flight, and get the compensation - and you are helping the airline staff out, which might even result in an OpUp on the other flight. ;)

Edited by lomatopo