Watching The American Democratic Party Convention In Thailand

Jingthing

This three day event has started and you can watch it LIVE in Thailand. It's on right now:

http://www.demconvention.com/live/

Because of the time difference, roughly Wednesday morning in Thailand is Tuesday night in North Carolina. So to watch live in Thailand, the event is Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday Thailand time.

I reckon there will be a way to replay the stream later if you want but not sure.

The republican convention was on youtube. So far the link is the only place I've found the democratic convention.

This thread not for political debate. Most expats in Thailand don't have live U.S. network t.v. access so need another way to watch conventions if they want.

The highlights of this convention will be the speeches of President Clinton (I think the second night) and of course President Obama (the third night). The highlight for the first night is Michelle Obama. There is a lobby to bring a "surprise" speaker -- Betty White -- but I doubt it will happen.

Edited by Jingthing

^^^

no. A former United States president is always referred to as a president for the rest of his (or theoretically her) life.

Betty White?!? Really? Is she going to be talking a chair or something?

I don't want to be overly pedantic, but this seems a modern and incorrect trend. You can only have one President.

Even the US White House site refers to Bill Clinton as 'Former President Bill Clinton'. Obama calls him 'Former president Clinton' and Clinton calls Obama "president Obama'....

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2010/12/10/remarks-president-obama-and-former-president-clinton

also...see this link

http://www.formsofaddress.info/FOA_president_US_former.html

People know Clinton isn't the current president. Really, not an issue.

Not much of an issue, but just saying it isn't correct to address him as President. He should be 'Former President'. I know you like to dot the i's and cross the T's JT.

Indeed and I can settle this now. Clinton was introduced at the convention thus:

Please welcome President Bill Clinton. (No mention of former.)

Not much of an issue, but just saying it isn't correct to address him as President. He should be 'Former President'. I know you like to dot the i's and cross the T's JT.

Indeed and I can settle this now. Clinton was introduced at the convention thus:

Please welcome President Bill Clinton. (No mention of former.)

I'm sorry JT, that does not settle anything. One take on a video . It is still incorrect. I'm surprised there was not more respect shown to the incumbent president. There can only be one President of the USA! Just a fact.

• Like 1

This is the American custom. A president is always a president in title. A governor is always a governor in title. It's just a custom. Don't stress.

In any case, agree to disagree on this one please. The thread is about access to the convention media in Thailand.

This is the American custom. A president is always a president in title. A governor is always a governor in title. It's just a custom. Don't stress.

In any case, agree to disagree on this one please. The thread is about access to the convention media in Thailand.

Really i'm not stressing. I was just pointing out a small point of order. thumbsup.gif

When I meet him, I'll keep your advice in mind. wink.png

• Like 1

Perhaps in your country, but not in the US. All former POTUS is referred to as Mr. President. That is until Hillary has her shot in 4 years, then it may be Madam President.

• Like 1

Perhaps in your country, but not in the US. All former POTUS is referred to as Mr. President. That is until Hillary has her shot in 4 years, then it may be Madam President.

I direct you to America's premier newspaper, the Washington Post. Today's edition. You will notice Clinton is always 'Former President.' w00t.gif

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bill-clinton-will-highlight-convention-tonight/2012/09/05/f6d5dcf2-f797-11e1-8398-0327ab83ab91_story.html?hpid=z2

I direct you to America's premier newspaper, the Washington Post. Today's edition. You will notice Clinton is always 'Former President.' w00t.gif

http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z2

<deleted>, he was still referred to as the President, no? It's an American custom as explained. You don't have to understand it or accept it. It is just the way things are.

<deleted>, he was still referred to as the President, no? It's an American custom as explained. You don't have to understand it or accept it. It is just the way things are.

No need to get hot about it. Of course I understand it.

President = current serving President

Former President = ex-president

The purpose of this thread was to share info about how expats can watch the convention in Thailand and also about what days and times they could watch it live in Thailand. That was done. Tomorrow morning Thailand time is the last day and of course the climax with President Obama's speech. Thus, I will request that this thread be closed NOW.

mfr_closed1.gifcowboy.gifmfr_closed1.gif

Just to add my two cents...

I was taught as a tyke that former Presidents are referred to as Mr. President for the rest of their life. Maybe things are changing and the protocols of before are being swept away. I also remember President Clinton being on the talk show Oprah after he left office and she referred to him as Mr. Clinton and I remember thinking... "Didn't this chick take a civics class in her youth?"

Maybe if a current and former President are mentioned in the same article, they use "former" for aesthetics and to keep the tone clear.

• Like 1

Former presidents of the USA are technically referred to as "President xxxxx".......watch or read old referrals to lbj, Nixon, Reagan,The Bushes or any other former president.....as another poster noted it is implied that anyone making a reference to a president (current or former) will know who is in office at the time they utter the person's name.....how many of y'all responding are from the USA I wonder???? If you are, you should know the nomenclature.....if your not, you should probably not worry about what we call our leaders