What Is The Law On Insults To The Thai People Or Country?

submaniac

This is true. But recall the Falang who was in the red (or yellow) shirt demonstration and was caught on camera that he was going to loot and overthrow the governent and all. I know he was ordered arrested and deported. I don't know what the grounds were. There was no apparent insult to the monarchy, so I think there might be another law.

He got arrested because foreigners are not allowed to participate in demonstrations, especially poltical oriented ones.

I believe you are wrong on this. You could prove your point by presenting us with the relevant law.

It was part of the emergency decree. I can't find the link right now, but there was definitely a statement from the government that any foreigners found participating in the protests (both red and yellow IIRC) would be subject to arrest and deportation.

Although Thailand has Freedom of Speech legislation, any Thai can initiate legal action for libel/defamation, so in answer to your question, legal proceeding could be initiated for insulting the Thai people/nation. However, I'm sure you already know this, hope I'm not being paranoid that you are not posing this question as a veiled or overt threat.

Maybe you are thinking of America. Thailand has no "freedom of speech" legislation. It does however have laws that make it a crime to say certain things.

This is true. But recall the Falang who was in the red (or yellow) shirt demonstration and was caught on camera that he was going to loot and overthrow the governent and all. I know he was ordered arrested and deported. I don't know what the grounds were. There was no apparent insult to the monarchy, so I think there might be another law.

of course red shirts.....to loot and burn down shops or planing to do so is something different than insulting country or people.

Foreigner planning to overthrow the government is something very sensitive in every country.

That all has nothing to do with insulting.....

• Like 1

He got arrested because foreigners are not allowed to participate in demonstrations, especially poltical oriented ones.

I believe you are wrong on this. You could prove your point by presenting us with the relevant law.

I recall that this law was in the news when there were the demonstrations against Samak.

Although Thailand has Freedom of Speech legislation, any Thai can initiate legal action for libel/defamation, so in answer to your question, legal proceeding could be initiated for insulting the Thai people/nation. However, I'm sure you already know this, hope I'm not being paranoid that you are not posing this question as a veiled or overt threat.

Maybe you are thinking of America. Thailand has no "freedom of speech" legislation. It does however have laws that make it a crime to say certain things.

And even in America there are limits for "freedom of speech"

Not 100% correct, Freedom of Speech was guaranteed in the 1997 Constitution of Thailand. Those guarantees continue in the 2007 Constitution. As we know this is manipulated by the use of libel and defamation actions and constrained by lèse-majesté laws; more info at:

http://en.wikipedia....f_speech.2C_expression.2C_and_the_press

Edited by simple1

There is an un written law in Thailand that says get to smart with a Thai and they will probably smack you in the head. The same goes in my country and everyone elses.

No they won't.

They'll smile and then go out of their way to make things as difficult as they can from behind your back.

Nails in tyres... poison in your pet's food etc.

Edited by siampreggers

i found myself getting buzzed at bars, getting into conversations, and bringing up valid, yet negative arguments about the country / thai system in full hearing of bar staff. after this i realized that these people were witnesses and could be used against me.

after that, i stopped having serious discussions in public that require a brain, esp while out drinking.

http://www.liveleak....=137_1339907257

This is the guy. Happened during the riots. Said some things on camera. The Thai authorities tracked him down and arrested him. I was trying to figure out what the charge was. He didn't say anything about the monarchy, so no lese majeste. He really didn't do anything illegal. I thought it was either a charge of insult to the Thai people or insult to the monarchy by insulting the Thai people. Does anyone remember what the charges were?

I remember the video, it was the day before the burning of some mall in Central BKK..The guy was inciting burning and looting.

As every country has its share of lunatics among the locals, i think it's fair to be tough on visitors who incite violence.

Did Arsenal play around that time? Me think it was a British hooligan who took his frustration and anger out on the public for his favorite losing the game.

You see... dam_n Brits...w00t.gif

I assumed that he was a Millwall supporter and his team had just lost to West Ham.

Thank you JT for confirming my understanding that a charge of defamation can be brought even if what is said is demonstratively true.

I threatened a stuck up bitch with too much gold braid on her epaulettes with both civil and criminal charges of defamation for publicly accusing my wife of stealing the money that she was handing over to purchase a farm. The head honcho at the Land Office smoothed things over by making the cow apologise profusely, we partaking of half a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black and the reduction of the Transfer Tax payable from 17,500 Baht to 8,000.