Taxi Complaint Hotline Buzzing: Thailand

webfact

One complaint should be sufficient for both an arrest and the fine should be 1000 Baht.

A second offense should be the suspension of his license for 6 months plus a fine 3000 baht. if he the driver gets caught on a 3rd offense,

the fine should be 5000 baht, suspension license for 1 year, and 6 months jail time.

It would be nice to witness thru a video phone an actual arrest being made by a copper.coffee1.gif

In addition to that people with mofbile phone cams should snap a photo of the offending taxi driver the first time along with the license plate

and send it in to the coppers. coffee1.gif

I personally avoid Taxis like the Plague...If you can't go any where without the use of the skytrain, subway or public bus transportation, then

your in sad shape.

There are exceptions for sure..

The best thing to do is to make good friends with one or two taxi drivers, get their mobile numbers and only use them, and don't forget to

u tip them. It may cost you a bit more, but you will infact be treated fairly and you will not get SCREWED AROUND nor will you get the

tourist route.

All you need is 2 taxi drivers to use all the time; no exceptions and they will pick you up.

I can see serious problems with this, all we have is the customers word he wouldnt take them how do they prove it?, you would have to video the entire scene and after the taxi departing with another customer.

Also there will be some people with vendettas against a taxi driver and get 3 mates to complain. cant see it working myself

Edited by travelmann

One complaint should be sufficient for both an arrest and the fine should be 1000 Baht.

A second offense should be the suspension of his license for 6 months plus a fine 3000 baht. if he the driver gets caught on a 3rd offense,

the fine should be 5000 baht, suspension license for 1 year, and 6 months jail time.

It would be nice to witness thru a video phone an actual arrest being made by a copper.coffee1.gif

In addition to that people with mofbile phone cams should snap a photo of the offending taxi driver the first time along with the license plate

I personally avoid Taxis like the Plague...If you can't go any where without the use of the skytrain, subway or public bus transportation, then

your in sad shape.

The best thing to do is to make good friends with one or two taxi drivers, get their mobile numbers and only use them, and don't forget to

u tip them. It may cost you a bit more, but you will infact be treated fairly and you will not get SCREWED AROUND nor will you get the

tourist route.

All you need is 2 taxi drivers to use all the time; no exceptions and they will pick you up.

I can see serious problems with this, all we have is the customers word he wouldnt take them how do they prove it?, you would have to video the entire scene and after the taxi departing with another customer.

Also there will be some people with vendettas against a taxi driver and get 3 mates to complain. cant see it working myself

Agreed. If it ever went to court how many of the whiners would be wiling to take time to come into court? And as you say the possibility for abuse is ever there and there are times when the driver can not take a fare for several reasons. At these times he should not have a for hire sign on. As long as he has the empty sign on he should take you.

Make sure when you hail a taxi to open the rear door opposite the driver to tell him your destination...when he refuses leave that door

wide open so he has to get off his ARSE get out of the cab and close the rear door himself.coffee1.gif

How very clever..............and juvenile.

I suppose you'd report him if he was enjoying a can of leo on a hot day, waiting for a fare.

Wouldn't report him but wouldn't ride with him either.

David

Still, this is a failure of your duty of care. By reporting him to police you then shift responsibility to them. If you see someone doing the wrong thing and you do nothing to prevent a consequence then you are partially to blame for that consequence, and partially liable.

You are only a farang with money don't forget, and you only need someone smart and game enough.

I suppose you'd report him if he was enjoying a can of leo on a hot day, waiting for a fare.

Cos drinking a beer when you are driving a public vehicle is totally acceptable to you?

A Taxi driver drinking Alcohol is far more serious than not turning on the meter or saying no to a potential passenger!

You must be the kind of guy that's totally fine with a minibus driver getting wrecked before driving you and your family anywhere, right?

• Like 2

.............................. The best thing to do is to make good friends with one or two taxi drivers, get their mobile numbers and only use them, and don't forget to tip them. It may cost you a bit more, but you will infact be treated fairly and you will not get SCREWED AROUND nor will you get the tourist route.

1zgarz5.gif If I have to pay a little bit more in order to not getting "screwed around'

then in my oppinion, that's not quite "being treated fairly"

crazy.gif I have no problems to give a tip if the service is exceptional but

paying a bit more to get what you should get in the first place is NOT fair!

It's called corruption and as long as you pay that bit extra more, you're as

guilty of corruption as the one who takes that "extra bit more".

No different for taxis, hospitals, police, courts etc....

• Like 1

Yesterday was at Pratunam and had 3 straight taxis refuse to take us to out condo

Next time I am going to take a camera to get the taxi ID and license plate

Oh dear.

Hope you didn't have to walk there, did you ??

I was refused by 2 taxi's and 1 Tuk Tuk standing in the rain with my daughter after picking her up from school. And the policeman directing traffic did not do a dime about it!

• Like 1

It sucks when they dont want to go to your destination but thats their choice. I live well outside the city and normally need to open 3-5 doors before i get a yes but its really not a big deal. Why do we have laws saying they need to go? If they dont want to make the money so what? get another cab. what they should be looking out for is the taxi's that dont use meters, those are the SOBs i dont like.

.............................. The best thing to do is to make good friends with one or two taxi drivers, get their mobile numbers and only use them, and don't forget to tip them. It may cost you a bit more, but you will infact be treated fairly and you will not get SCREWED AROUND nor will you get the tourist route.

1zgarz5.gif If I have to pay a little bit more in order to not getting "screwed around'

tip the change (coins) for standard service and a full note (20/40) for exceptional service, should be standard practice, I just dont want it to get out of hand like back in the States where you tip 20% to everyone you meet.

tip the change (coins) for standard service and a full note (20/40) for exceptional service, should be standard practice, I just dont want it to get out of hand like back in the States where you tip 20% to everyone you meet.

Exceptional service, when people go well out of their way of what would be expected,

that deserves a tip.

NO tip for standart service. I already paid the waiter, taxi driver, haird dresser, etc...

for standard service.

Exceptional service, when people go well out of their way of what would be expected,

that deserves a tip.

NO tip for standart service. I already paid the waiter, taxi driver, haird dresser, etc...

for standard service.

• Like 1

So you get 3 warnings then prosecuted (fined) on the 4th offence. Sounds ok in theory but actually charging someone may be more difficult. 4 people ring the hotline and complain about a particular driver and he is issued a fine fair enough. What happens if that driver elects to fight the fine in court? The prosecution will then need all 4 complainants to make a statement and actually give evidence in court as to his identity. You can't prosecute on hearsay and will they all be willing to give evidence against a member of the taxi mafia?

off topic -

Taxi drivers in Melbourne fight every penalty notice they recieve. In court the magistrate doesn't have the power to take demerit points so even if they lose they pay the fine,they get a history recorded which you don't with a penalty notice and keep thier points thus keep thier licence.

Why can't you prosecute on hearsay in Thailand?

Sounds like pretty good advice from jerrysteve if you are using taxis a lot.

What I don't understand from your reaction is where exactly corruption comes into this? You would be contacting your 1 -2 taxi drivers asking them to pick you up. You tip them to keep them available for the next time.

The only corruption I could see here is depriving a taxi driver who may or may not take you where you want to go, hence taking you back to the reason you have the phone numbers for your nominated drivers in the first place!...............thumbsup.gif

Bah, whingers. tongue.png You at least have access to a taxi with a quasi meter. Come to Phuket and see what its like to be subject to mobsters.

I envy you folks. Until you experience the filth that is Patong's taxi/tuk tuk, you will never appreciate how fortunate you are. At least your drivers don't pull guns on you or threaten you.

All of Thailand to choose from and YOU CHOOSE Phuket... It's your own faultlaugh.pngclap2.gif

Make sure when you hail a taxi to open the rear door opposite the driver to tell him your destination...when he refuses leave that door

wide open so he has to get off his ARSE get out of the cab and close the rear door himself.coffee1.gif

How very clever..............and juvenile.

Wouldn't report him but wouldn't ride with him either.

David

Still, this is a failure of your duty of care. By reporting him to police you then shift responsibility to them. If you see someone doing the wrong thing and you do nothing to prevent a consequence then you are partially to blame for that consequence, and partially liable.

You are only a farang with money don't forget, and you only need someone smart and game enough.

This is not America.

Another stupid law.

Taxie drivers should be able to refuse passengers for any number of reasons, for instance:

Extreme drunkenness.

Dirty people who would make the cab dirty.

Wanting to smoke in the cab.

Someone carrying an animal.

Someone who is being abusive.

No money, I'll pay you tomorrow.

And many more.

There are so many of the things that all you have to do is move on to the next.

Yes I have been refused, twice both times because they didnt want to use the meter, the next one in line took me no problem.

So you get 3 warnings then prosecuted (fined) on the 4th offence. Sounds ok in theory but actually charging someone may be more difficult. 4 people ring the hotline and complain about a particular driver and he is issued a fine fair enough. What happens if that driver elects to fight the fine in court? The prosecution will then need all 4 complainants to make a statement and actually give evidence in court as to his identity. You can't prosecute on hearsay and will they all be willing to give evidence against a member of the taxi mafia?

off topic -

Taxi drivers in Melbourne fight every penalty notice they recieve. In court the magistrate doesn't have the power to take demerit points so even if they lose they pay the fine,they get a history recorded which you don't with a penalty notice and keep thier points thus keep thier licence.

Why can't you prosecute on hearsay in Thailand?

Do you know what hearsay is?

Fortunately taxis are so plentiful that I've never had a problem about going from A to B. If they refuse to take you, you can just offer more than the meter rate. (I don't have to except in some special greedy driver places like rca.) The meter rate is so low especially if they have to go through some traffic jam that u can't really blame them too much. I heard the meter fares are partially sponsored and lower cause of that though?

your in sad shape.

tourist route.

Lots don't live close to the limited skytrain and subway routes. Ever tried getting pushchairs and wheel chairs onto the buses here?

Taxis are an important part of the transport infrastructure here. I use them a lot, over many years, and reckon that the % of problems - refusals, midway drop off, meter fiddling, long way round etc has been 2-3 % of all journeys max. But, of course, you always remember the problems.

The law requires taxi drivers to accept fares, and not refuse them, and should be enforced - but imprisonment for this ? Are you really serious?

Edited by Baerboxer

Yesterday was at Pratunam and had 3 straight taxis refuse to take us to out condo

Next time I am going to take a camera to get the taxi ID and license plate

Be careful with taking picture of the taxi, there have been reports of taxi mobs beating up people for this.

There are so many cabs in Bkk why bother complaining, its gotta be quicker to just grab another cab than go thro the hassle of complaint and reporting.

Start the campaign on Soi 4 Nana. Six taxis parked half off/on pavement. Seven taxis refused my wife & I - none gave a reason. We had to walk the full length of soi 4 & picked up a cab on Suk. After that I used the BTS for the remaider of my stay in BKK.

Sounds like pretty good advice from jerrysteve if you are using taxis a lot.

What I don't understand from your reaction is where exactly corruption comes into this? You would be contacting your 1 -2 taxi drivers asking them to pick you up. You tip them to keep them available for the next time.

The only corruption I could see here is depriving a taxi driver who may or may not take you where you want to go, hence taking you back to the reason you have the phone numbers for your nominated drivers in the first place!...............thumbsup.gif

As I said, I have no problems to tip AFTER I received an exceptional service.

To tip BEFORE a service you MIGHT receive is definately corruption!!!

Think, would you ever walk in to a restaurant, tip the waiter and then ask if you can order ?

Edited by JoeLing

There are so many cabs in Bkk why bother complaining, its gotta be quicker to just grab another cab than go thro the hassle of complaint and reporting.

Start the campaign on Soi 4 Nana. Six taxis parked half off/on pavement. Seven taxis refused my wife & I - none gave a reason. We had to walk the full length of soi 4 & picked up a cab on Suk. After that I used the BTS for the remaider of my stay in BKK.

Out of 6 Taxis, 7 refused to take you? And how much did you have to tip the BTS driver to turn down Soi 4? wink.png

• 3 months later...

3 warnings, are these warnings recorded on a data base so that the authorities can check that they have been warned before or do they simply ask the driver how many prior warnings he has recieved?

Probably the latter cheesy.gif