Misspelt Names On Marriage Certificate

silentnine

Hi all

today we did the government office registry of our marriage

had a few problems and not sure if this is going to be a problem

my name is in English. the translator in bkk appears to of given it a french accent .

we have a son who is registered in my surname pronounced and spelt correctly

the government office insisted on using the spelling as per the affirmation spelling

end result is the spelling of the surname in out marriage certificate and the spelling on our sons birth certificate differ

at 1st i did not think it mattered as the result in English is the same but now i have thought about it when he gets a Thai id card in the future his surname is not going to be the same as his mothers.. ie his is correct and mums will be mis-spelt

in hindsight i may of been better off refusing to marry and saying we would redo the affirmation .. but hindsight is too late now

any advice please

Have the misses call the department of provincial administration and explain the problem to them. It is the department that deals with the registration of people in Thailand. If there is a way to fix it, they wil know.

Either call the government information line at 1111 or the department direct at 1548.

http://www.dopa.go.th/

(in Thai)

Just wondering why you allowed the child to be registered under a different name from the marriage certificate.

When I registered my kid, I had to show the marriage certificate so they could copy all the info across.

It's your responsibility to check the Thai translation of your name, once you have it done (and your sons name) is consistent across all documents. It doesn't matter how they spell the names, as long as they always spell them the same way.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Just wondering why you allowed the child to be registered under a different name from the marriage certificate.

When I registered my kid, I had to show the marriage certificate so they could copy all the info across.

It's your responsibility to check the Thai translation of your name, once you have it done (and your sons name) is consistent across all documents. It doesn't matter how they spell the names, as long as they always spell them the same way.

child was registered with my surname 4 years ago .

marriage was today

in my OP i did say married today ..should of made it clearer that the child was registered a long time ago

Edited by silentnine

1 post giving illegal advise deleted.

Forging of documents is taken very serious and can lead to jail time.

Sorry, I thought 'correcting' a spelling mistake would be OK.

But he can still divorce by mutual consent 50bht, get the affirmation corrected, then remarry for 30bht.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

1 post giving illegal advise deleted.

Forging of documents is taken very serious and can lead to jail time.

Sorry, I thought 'correcting' a spelling mistake would be OK.

But he can still divorce by mutual consent 50bht, get the affirmation corrected, then remarry for 30bht.

That mean getting a new affirmation letter, etc etc. so in fact will cost more. Not to mention the fact that they do have to divorce.

It will not be the first spelling mistake that ever happend and there will be a procedure, but will probably need a new affirmation letter.

Had a similar issue with my daughter's birth certificate that was done by the hospital

Next time my wife had to go to the local amphur for something else, she brought daughter's birth certificate as well as original marriage certificate and sons birth certificate and they were able to revise last name on Daughter's birth certificate to the correct Thai spelling (matching others)

No charge for the service and only took about 10 to 15 min to complete

This was in Lat Krabang, Bangkok

• 8 years later...
10 minutes ago, reidy5565 said:

was there any solution to this ?

Not sure if you noticed but the thread is 8 years old, I doubt you will hear back from any of the posters. If you read the post just above yours, someone gives an account of successfully changing a child's Birth cert

• 3 weeks later...

When my son was born in a Thai hospital they spelled his name wrong on the birth certificate, we had to go back to the hospital and get an addendum to the original as I didn't want the problem to snowball into a huge problem later on. Everything got sorted out and now his passport, ID card, etc are good.