60"s.... 80's Music In Bars

thelegend

I really do not understand why so very few Bars play 60's/80's music, but seem to concentrate on techno crap chosen by the girls .

Some time ago I was drinking at Steve's bar at Udon Thani, about 8pm, the joint is virtually empty . Got into a conversation with a bloke from England called Dave who had just sold a very successful bar in Pattaya. He bragged that he could fill the bar in an hour , without spending a baht . We bet on it .....the drinks bill for the night .

All Dave did was change the music playing to 60's/80's classics......and all the visiting middle age mongers within earshot were attracted to the joint like flys to a dunny on a summers day , and well within the hour the joint was standing room only .....all CASHED UP OLD FARTS, ENJOYING THE MUSIC OF THEIR YOUTH AND SPENDING HEAPS.

Indeed this happy state endured late into the night , like 4am,and the Bar took multiples of its usual take , a large portion coming from me because of my bet with Dave .

So what do reckon happened? After I slept it off , Dave and i returned to the bar next night , and the little lovelies had gone straight back to their techno crap and again the joint was virtually empty .

I GUESS IT IS JUST A CASE OF OIT!!!! Well "not my business."

Basic principles of marketing, whose your target client ?

If you want the guys with disposable income etc then you cater for them, if you want a younger crowd just there for two weeks holiday you play for them.

Locatiion location and whose the target audience.

Personally I wouldnt go anywhere near a bar playing thump thump techno crap no matter how good the girls looked, but I would happily while away an hour or two listening to 60-80's music.

I suppose I am one of the old farts but it makes perfect marketing sense.

The girls are playing the techno stuff as its there generation and what they like etc, thinking of themselves and not the potential clients they may wish to attract.

Edited by CharlieH

A bar near where I drink plays Techno music most nights and we regulars often moan about it. But it seems to be all thump thump with no melody at all. That bar is empty most nights too.

In the same way some bars play good live English music and then begin singing Thai music. Those bars empty pretty fast too. If the bar owners had any sense they would stop the Thai music and keep the customers in. But it is done for the Thai women obviously not for the foreign clientèle.

pattayadingo hit it on the head. The music is played for the staff and not customers. I never understood why places operate like that

Same reason when a DJ plays you listen to the music he likes, not what you like.

pattayadingo hit it on the head. The music is played for the staff and not customers. I never understood why places operate like that

Same reason when a DJ plays you listen to the music he likes, not what you like.

I just go and ask them to change the music if it's rubbish to my ears. I'm not talking discos, but small bars with a dozen customers.

I just go and ask them to change the music if it's rubbish to my ears. I'm not talking discos, but small bars with a dozen customers.

Usually they request a tip of 100 Baht to play what you want. I refuse to pay, after all, I am paying their wages by patronising their bar.

Usually they request a tip of 100 Baht to play what you want. I refuse to pay, after all, I am paying their wages by patronising their bar.

I wasn't talking discos, but just local bars that have a sound system behind the bar.

It's strange that they don't play those oldies for the oldtimers. They are of course the ones who frequent these bars the most.

I don't need that old music but id rather listen to it then to the real techno beats. Unless im in the mood for those but then id have to be under the influence and that has not happened int Thailand. Normal top 40 music from now is good enough for me.

When I was frequenting Phuket I drank in a bar where they played all music 60s to 90s. I ask where it came from and I was told it was from a radio station in Singapore. Only music was played. It was a great little complex. There were about 4 bars.

what station is that? would be good if i could stream online

When I was frequenting Phuket I drank in a bar where they played all music 60s to 90s. I ask where it came from and I was told it was from a radio station in Singapore. Only music was played. It was a great little complex. There were about 4 bars.

what station is that? would be good if i could stream online

I am sorry I have no idea. I was told this by the owner and did not ask. That was last year.