One Million Cameras Will Spy On Future Bangkok Criminals

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant resist a comment on this one.

Such a brilliant Project title. "Miracle eyes"

It will be a miracle if they ever achieve it and get it working effectively in a few years.

Not just delusional, Pure fantasy. Who writes these scripts?

Amazing Thailand, true to form.

100 installation teams x 10 cameras per day x 6 day work week = 312000 installations per year...more than 3 years to install 1 million

more than likely there will be :

20 installation teams x 5 cameras per day x 5 day work week = 26000 installations per year...38.4 years to install 1 million

Good time to start selling bb guns.

Maybe they are jealous of the US "Trapwire" camera network which supposedly can do facial recognition and follow people automatically. It was recently in the news and was then downplayed by big media companies very quickly.

Google liveleak trapwire to see quite nice explanation of it.

How in the hell do the Thai Police intend to monitor 1,000,000 CCTV cameras effectively??

This idea is delusional

Nobody mentioned monitoring 1 million screens. The plan is to check the footage after an event.

When crimes occur in that city, police officers rush to examine CCTV footage for evidence to obtain information and shorten the duration of investigations.

That's why they call it prevention! I already hear them say: Sorry we could not prevent an idiot driving with 200 km/h through the city. However, soon we will have full coverage of the race track...

An ambitious crime-fighting project would flood the streets of Bangkok with 1,000,000 surveillance cameras within three years.

Unfortunate choice of words, I'd say. Delusional plan or should it be termed delugional? Watch for a camera flood-control project.

Edited by MaxYakov

I'm surprised! No one seems to have mentioned the part where residents will have to pay 100-200 baht per month tea money to the bib's. And what of the fiasco of those cctv units that were discovered not to have cameras inside?

Its not about security, its about tea money.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Maybe they are jealous of the US "Trapwire" camera network which supposedly can do facial recognition and follow people automatically. It was recently in the news and was then downplayed by big media companies very quickly.

Google liveleak trapwire to see quite nice explanation of it.

Or maybe they have never heard of it, and you just feel obligated to get US into the discussion for some reason..

people would have to pay 100-200 baht per month.

Did the Bangkok citizens get to vote on this? whistling.gif

I see your point but are you suggesting that a referendum is held every time a government, be it local or national, wants to make a decision?

As another member alluded to, it is the manner of appropriation of the funds and its associated transparency. If it is from tax payers, not as big of an issue as that would preclude the poorer families from the extra burden put on their income.

I wonder with TOT's involvement are they going to have the cameras on a wireless network? Now that would be an interesting project, dedicated 3G network to their servers. Not much bandwidth needed there really!

They'll buy Chinese crap that stops after 40 mins.

This is all a farce!!!! Might sooth some international expat... But the reality is that is going to be end up being a "Criminal peep show for the brownies, real time films that might find its way to youtube and amuse the Police" NOTHING will be done about it. The police know who these criminals are....if they dont...they are really really really to "educated" or "holy" in acknowledging it... check this out

A better example about how you need to be an opportunist to head a police department is hard to find. The reason used is not spying on criminals but having a good look at motorists involved in a car accident (Thong Lor/Red Bull).

1 million cameras mean double the number of spy city London. Cameras do not keep London safe either as we have seen with the riots in Tottenham.

Luckily Democrat Governor Sumlhumband is in charge of purchasing the cameras what means a fat kickback for him and his political friends, the police commissioner and the anti corruption agency what leaves us with 500,000 real cameras and 500,000 bogus cameras. From the remaining 500.000 half will be broken half the time a quarter will not be installed because they are going to be cannibalized for repairs, so that leaves us with 250.000 Cameras. From those 250,000 cameras half will be either destructed by the businesses fearing them like massage parlors, brothels and gambling dens and 125,000 will not work much longer than a few months because they will have to function under pretty bad conditions. The bottom line is that hardly anything will change anyhow.

Apart from the one million cameras in the street, they'll need another tenfold or more of the existing numbers of cameras in, at least, all offices of politicians, government offices, police stations and so on if they really intend to ban corruption and stop the white collar crimes.

I used to feel safer in Bangkok than in London. Not so sure nowadays. Recently I was in HCMC, Vietnam. I witnessed a bag snatch in a crowded street and a youth in plain clothes chasing the culprit. As the hue and cry developed the crowd simply congealed round the perpetrator boxing him in.

Security comes bottom up from deep social structures that include a sense of community and fair play, not expensive technology that is difficult to join up and integrate with the community it is meant to serve.

I wonder if the project should be called 'Miracle white lies', I mean Miracle white eyes rolleyes.gif

The people are outraged by the death of the policeman via the inadequate driving skills of the heir to Red Bull, cue for the press release that we will have 1 million cameras in Bangkok to get evidence of criminal activity. Meanwhile the heir to Red Bull probably has a 20% share holding in TOT.

• Like 1