Do You Remember Choosing A Team To Support?

mjj

Being a Chelsea supporter it may come as a suprise to some of you that I was supporting them before 2005. :-). Without get into a glory hunter thread, do any of you remember picking your team? I don't.

I have 2 older brothers, 1 supported Everton, but isnt that much of a footy fan, the other used to go and watch Chelsea on a regular basis, and I guess 'brainwashed' me into supporting them, just as I'm doing with my son.:-)

I have no recollection of choosing Chelsea and don't remember a time when I didn't support them.

What about you guys? We're you brainwashed or did you actually choose and why did you choose?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presumably you come from Croydon or somewhere close. Croydon Town are not a good side. If you lived in fulham you would support Fulham. Nice club, no racism.

I didn't choose to be a Spurs fan, i was born a Spurs fan. Yes, i know, i was blessed.

People choose to support Man Utd because they are in lots of finals and win a lot. People choose chelsea if for example they are from the south London areas because Palace are in the lower leagues and Chelsea are a rich club buying lots of world class players as i believe their attendances over the last fifteen years show quite clearly.

Nope, not from Croydon. Actually about 40 miles from Stamford Bridge. Let's not make this into a p***ing contest about only supporting local teams. Carmine, how far were you away from Highbury?

Nope, not from Croydon. Actually about 40 miles from Stamford Bridge. Let's not make this into a p***ing contest about only supporting local teams. Carmine, how far were you away from Highbury?

WHL and the former library were only a very short distance apart but i think the answer you want is Finsbury Park.

I'm not starting a p*ssing contest. Just saying that everyone that i met in all the years i lived around the Fulham Road supported Fulham FC thats all.

Presumably you come from Croydon or somewhere close. Croydon Town are not a good side. If you lived in fulham you would support Fulham. Nice club, no racism.

I didn't choose to be a Spurs fan, i was born a Spurs fan. Yes, i know, i was blessed.

People choose to support Man Utd because they are in lots of finals and win a lot. People choose chelsea if for example they are from the south London areas because Palace are in the lower leagues and Chelsea are a rich club buying lots of world class players as i believe their attendances over the last fifteen years show quite clearly.

Funny you say Croydon carms as there is a chelsea supporter fan in CM who abodes from there !

Funny you say Croydon carms as there is a chelsea supporter fan in CM who abodes from there !

i can also tell you the most important rail link for Chelsea fans is Clapham Junction with its rural surrey links!

Anyway back on topic i wasn't aware that fans generally chose their team. I thought your team was the one you were born with, then in later years some defected to Man Utd when Fergusons reign was well under way. biggrin.png Explain there big support base in devon and cornwall.

Don't understand this thread really

As a kid and me mam a blue and dad a red i went to both but as i grew older and found that i could get more money minding peoples cars at OT and could walk to the stretford end from our house in Ordsall lane and jib in the seats at the top then jump over to where the big boys played....it just was a natural progression smile.png

There was never a choice really

Nail on the head mate, there isn't a choice. Just wish Spurs would win something! laugh.png

Naam i think you support Thai Visa forum,so you are OK nothing wrong with you posting here and supporting them,you don't need a cure.

But if you want to join in why did you join TV and start posting regularly.....there wink.png

You may find some answers to your questions here mjj:

http://www.thaivisa....e__hl__+support

The question was "why did you choose" not "who do you support"

Huh? Who is asking "who do you support"? That would seem to be a silly question as we all know who everyone supports here... although that said, I have just been accused of being a bin dipper on another thread...

Huh? Who is asking "who do you support"? That would seem to be a silly question as we all know who everyone supports here... although that said, I have just been accused of being a bin dipper on another thread...

How did you start following United then Rix?

Well i said "support because you referred to a thread that had the word 'support highlighted in yellow about one hundred times so i thought you were suggesting something to do with supporting a team thats all

My dad christened me a blue when I was 6 months old. There was no choice in the matter and supporters of a club from nearby are not allowed in our family biggrin.png Albeit my daughter has never been to an actual football match due to us living in Saudi, I took her to the City ground and stadium shop when she was 2 days old. She too is now a City fan for life. Well, she is if she wants the inheritance tongue.png

• Like 1

How did you start following United then Rix?

Apparently by being born in Devon/Cornwall/Surrey and by being a glory hunter.

Well i said "support because you referred to a thread that had the word 'support highlighted in yellow about one hundred times so i thought you were suggesting something to do with supporting a team thats all

Maybe it's too early in the morning for me. The thread i directed him to concerned why we all support the teams we do. I thought that was kind of what he was asking. Anyway, nevermind...

Yermanee the gooner

I think Mr Bo should ban him biggrin.png

Just to add i would be very upset if i was thought of as a bin dipper also,so my feelings are with you Rix......maybe you got my question now thumbsup.gif

Edited by MrRed
  • Like 1

I have been an Arbroath fan since the age of five.....my old man took me to see his team play the entire season...we won't mention the team as I'd hate to embarrass him further....anyway...they were one point from promotion into the Premier League...two games to go....lost the away game 4-0....last game of the season at home...we turn up...it pisses with rain...4-0 down to the already relegated side....i bite into my pie and the gravy runs out all over my shirt.....early second half its 5-0 and the heavens open....by 70 mins we are heading for the exit and on to the train home.

My poor old man was sat forlornly and vowed never to attend a game again...which to my knowledge is absolutely true.

Meanwhile smokie was given a quid every Saturday to go watch his local side...Arbroath play some stirring stuff. smile.png

I admit...on that train home...even at five I was smirking at the poor sucker....whistling.gif

We'll move on to Spurs in my next thrilling instalment....w00t.gif

mjj, not really a surprise that you were supporting them before 2005 but certainly a surprise if you were supporting them before 1996 4.gif

My first Chelsea shirts were the 83 home and away. The away was yellow and I'm always disappointed when they don't do yellow now. First Chelsea football hero was Kerry Dixon. Aahh, the second division...

My son has 9 Chelsea kits, soon to be 10. He is only 3. :-)

mjj, not really a surprise that you were supporting them before 2005 but certainly a surprise if you were supporting them before 1996 4.gif

My first Chelsea shirts were the 83 home and away. The away was yellow and I'm always disappointed when they don't do yellow now. First Chelsea football hero was Kerry Dixon. Aahh, the second division...

One of the 15000!!!! clap2.gif

One of the 15000!!!! clap2.gif

Wrong smokes ! one of the 12,672 ....... big club 24.gif