Getting Change Everyday From A Bank

I am a manager of a business that needs aprox. 30,000 baht in change every day, eg 100, 50 and 20 baht notes.

The manager before me used to get his gf to go somewhere are get 200,000 change at a time, but he won't say where it was as he's slightly aloof.

At the moment, I go every other day to a branch of Kasikorn, where I have an account, make a small deposit in my account and ask for some change, which they give me.

However, as the months have gone on, I feel the bank staff are getting a bit weary of me asking for such large amounts of change. I sometimes see the bank staff in the street or in a restaurant and they don't make eye contact and ignore me. I know it's a security risk if bank employees make contact with members of the public, so I might just be being paranoid.

My question is, as Thailand is a very cash rich society, it it normal practice for banks to provide this service to the public? Is there a better alternative?

I do dress smart when I go to the bank and I always speak politely in Thai and wai all the employees.

If you need so much change, why are you depositing only a small amount to your bank account? Does all that change run out every day. It would seem pretty normal to get change from the bank if you are using the bank for you business and depositing your takings there. But maybe not if you're making a small deposit just to get change of a larger amount. Best way to find out is to ask at the branch if it's ok?

It is laughable when foreigners wai, especially to service employees. IMHO

How about you have a brief chat with the bank manager and ask him the best why to service your needs. If he comes up with an alternative that works go with it, if he says no problem continue as you have been. Then you have his name and blessing to drop on any teller giving you attitude. As for the Thais not acknowledging you outside the bank, this is very common here. It is not like in the West were we go out of our way to wave or say hello to another person when seen outside of a normal encounter.

• Like 1