Trains In North Stopped As Wet Causes Sinkhole

Lite Beer

Sinkhole beneath railway track in Lamphun filled

LAMPHUN, Sept 11 - The sinkhole beneath a railway track in Lamphun has been filled and train service is expected to resume today after a safety test.

The work completed last night after about 100 workers and engineers had laboured for three days amid difficulties from continuing heavy rain.

However, train service cannot resume this morning, as soggy soil may not safe. A test run of an empty train is due to be conducted first before the service resumes.

On Saturday, a flash flood caused a sinkhole under the railway track, leaving it dangling in the air and forcing Lamphun-Chiang Mai trains to be halted. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-11

They filled that whole hole in 3 days????????

I did laugh heartily tonight when I saw this one the news. I wonder how much of the several hundred billion that was approved yesterday to improve the rail line was spent in the last 2 days on moving sand then laugh.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive mobilisation of resources and a 'get the job done!' attitude. I'd be interested to know their strategy for stabilising the large quantity of sand they've used. Anyone keen on riding the first fully laden freight train across in a couple of days?

Well they may have filled that gigantic hole but I'm almost sure that this landslide has destabilized the structure of the adjacent sections.

Impressive mobilisation of resources and a 'get the job done!' attitude. I'd be interested to know their strategy for stabilising the large quantity of sand they've used. Anyone keen on riding the first fully laden freight train across in a couple of days?

Well they may have filled that gigantic hole but I'm almost sure that this landslide has destabilized the structure of the adjacent sections.

Well you saw where they were digging from on the videos Mike. Just where have they got all that extra sand from? It wasn't brought in by dumper trucks wink.png

There is simply no way the job could have been done properly in three days. This is a bodge job for sure and the whole lot will most probably be falling away again after serious rain. No Western railway inspectorate would pass this job as fit for purpose but hey; this is Thailand where inspectors turn up, take their envelope and sign the all is well paperwork. No point in going into details but a proper job would have taken at least a month.

Well you saw where they were digging from on the videos Mike. Just where have they got all that extra sand from? It wasn't brought in by dumper trucks wink.png

They took it from further down the trackthumbsup.gif

..bought tickets for 2 October on the night train..

..bought tickets for 2 October on the night train..

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Catch a train and enjoy a journey of your lifetime. Possible the last one that you will ever make. Meanwhile TAT have started a PR campaign telling tourists that they will enjoy carefree travels.

The World needs a new word to describe actions that are beyond moronic.

LAMPHUN, Sept 11 - The sinkhole beneath a railway track in Lamphun has been filled and train service is expected to resume today after a safety test.

The work completed last night after about 100 workers and engineers had laboured for three days amid difficulties from continuing heavy rain.

However, train service cannot resume this morning, as soggy soil may not safe. A test run of an empty train is due to be conducted first before the service resumes.

On Saturday, a flash flood caused a sinkhole under the railway track, leaving it dangling in the air and forcing Lamphun-Chiang Mai trains to be halted. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-11

I don't know how stable the fill job would be, maybe an experienced engineer could comment, if there are any in the forum.

Well I am no expert but I do have a little experience. They would have to bring the whole area up slowly. I am not a expert but I do know they would have to do it in lifts of half a meter to a full meter. And when each lift was layed down they would need to compact it. The compaction done properly would take time on each lift.

The surface would need at least (in my opinion) three meters on each side there by requiring a huge area at the base. Also the material they use would be critical. I would also recommend some sort of way to stop the water from washing the sides out.

It is fairly obvious that they would need some sort of pipe for the water to go through when ever there is a heavy rain.

As I said I am not a expert but I do know a little bit about base preparation. And the need for proper material.

I just reread there article. There is no way in hell they could get the compaction needed at that depth with wet soil and if it has been raining they will have wet soil.

Edited by hellodolly

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-11

I don't know how stable the fill job would be, maybe an experienced engineer could comment, if there are any in the forum.

Well I am no expert but I do have a little experience. They would have to bring the whole area up slowly. I am not a expert but I do know they would have to do it in lifts of half a meter to a full meter. And when each lift was layed down they would need to compact it. The compaction done properly would take time on each lift.

The surface would need at least (in my opinion) three meters on each side there by requiring a huge area at the base. Also the material they use would be critical. I would also recommend some sort of way to stop the water from washing the sides out.

It is fairly obvious that they would need some sort of pipe for the water to go through when ever there is a heavy rain.

As I said I am not a expert but I do know a little bit about base preparation. And the need for proper material.

I just reread there article. There is no way in hell they could get the compaction needed at that depth with wet soil and if it has been raining they will have wet soil.

It may well be an exercise in futility come the wet season proper, I just hope there isn't a train going over it if it gives way again.

• Like 1