greg71

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^

they really don't need to do it that's why they have the rr range what would be the point in making a tuned up version of this bike you would just buy the 600rr if you wanted sports style

Yes your right comparing the 500 & the 600.

But I got on this line of thinking recently look at what pigs most of the newer smaller displacement bikes were.

Also how underpowered they were in PWR term.

So yes in regards to a 500 when a 600RR is already there moot, except maybe in places like Thailand

where your not getting a 600RR

But for all the rest the 250/300 or even 400 areas I wish they would bring back something decent.

Fuel will only go up from here which is another reason I mentioned they could fill a niche that is empty now.

^

they really don't need to do it that's why they have the rr range what would be the point in making a tuned up version of this bike you would just buy the 600rr if you wanted sports style

100% agree.

Honda already has the racing monsters, and the off-road monsters, and the touring monsters... the bikes that have been tweaked for maximum output and light weight, with high quality components. They're already making those, and they'll surely continue to improve them

What I think they're doing with the CBR250, CRF250, and now the CB/R 500 is open up new markets. They are fun, good bikes, that are practical for day to day use, for a very low price. I don't know I just think they're on to something.

I was thinking about that today riding my Versys through the city - most bikers I know don't ride their big bikes in the city - it's not practical. The Versys has a ton of plastic up front and it's certainly not a little bike - yet there is zero storage on it. It has less storage than a Fino which is about 1/3rd the size! Would it have killed them to add some little pouches here and there in the design? It wouldn't even add weight, but they didn't think of it - the bike is built focused on performance and weight. Day to day use was not one of the design parameters. Just add some huge fugly touring boxes, is maybe what they're thinking.

Honda built storage into the NC700X - for all of this bike's spec-sheet shortcomings, that feature is brilliant. Honda is aiming for practicality and usability *and* opening up new markets, selling bikes to people who don't yet have one, and selling second bikes to people like me. Maybe they're now building the bikes that we'll be riding day to day into the city.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

The funny thing is that the rumoured weight is exactly what the CBR 400RR weighed. Power is down some 6 HP (from wikipedia's uncited rating). I wonder if the quoted HP is RWHP or BHP. According to cycleworld, the N300 puts down 35 HP.

Little disappointed with the weight; if they could get that down quite a bit (say 10 kg or so) it would make the bike quite a bit more interesting.

Honda already has the racing monsters, and the off-road monsters, and the touring monsters...

Therein lies the empty niche I mentioned :)

Yes monsters abound in other countries & are the pinnacle of performance driven by racing trickle down effect to street models.

I owned them in the US

But... price & lack of availability in Thailand is another story.

Also you mention basically utility vehicles being a good thing & yes they are good for that.

But it is not new...

The nifty thrifty Honda Fifty started over 50 years ago.

Todays scooters with under seat storage are those things today & will always be available.

But motorcycle enthusiast like something that causes them to be enthusiastic.

If riding is just to go to Big C & grab a bag of goods I guess its all good.

But some riders like a little passion & appreciate a PWR that puts a smile on their face.

The funny thing is that the rumoured weight is exactly what the CBR 400RR weighed. Power is down some 6 HP (from wikipedia's uncited rating). I wonder if the quoted HP is RWHP or BHP. According to cycleworld, the N300 puts down 35 HP.

Little disappointed with the weight; if they could get that down quite a bit (say 10 kg or so) it would make the bike quite a bit more interesting.

Power is detuned to meet the EU young rider's license standards, so the engine can definitely do more, and maybe it's not going to be detuned outside of the EU. How much more, I have no idea. But the current HP is exactly on the A2 limit for Europe, the only way to hit it like that is to detune.

To quote the HFL article: "That power figure may seem oddly precise, but it’s spot on for Europe’s new A2 license tier, which will allow 19-year olds to ride bikes with up to 35kw of power. Or 46.9 of your good old-fashioned horses."

^

Why not call it a CB-S.....for Sports cos it's no CBR by any stretch. Like I said once before.....maybe twice, it's an insult to peoples intelligence calling that Honda 250 a CBR. Ditto for the CB500S

Power is detuned to meet the EU young rider's license standards, so the engine can definitely do more, and maybe it's not going to be detuned outside of the EU. How much more, I have no idea. But the current HP is exactly on the A2 limit for Europe, the only way to hit it like that is to detune.

To quote the HFL article: "That power figure may seem oddly precise, but it’s spot on for Europe’s new A2 license tier, which will allow 19-year olds to ride bikes with up to 35kw of power. Or 46.9 of your good old-fashioned horses."

My understanding, as I touched on it earlier in the thread, was the HP/kg issue. I had called a 174 kg weight at 47 HP; the figures from HFL has it at 195,5 wet. It very neatly splits the difference between the N300 and ER-6 (0,17 HP/kg -- 0,24 HP/kg -- 0,31 HP/kg).

Why not call it a CB-S.....for Sports cos it's no CBR by any stretch. Like I said once before.....maybe twice, it's an insult to peoples intelligence calling that Honda 250 a CBR. Ditto for the CB500S

A modification of a previous post:

In regards to the CBR name...you realise that Honda has a standard set of names, don't you? The "C" was their third line of standard bikes (after "A" and "B") and for whatever reason they never moved to "D" or above. When there are qualifiers it gets more interesting. The "B" part is intended for "sporty" bikes. Since the CBR will be the sportiest 500 that Honda will offer that makes sense. Finally the "R" is the intended for the racing variant. As the CBR 500 is the most race worthy bike in Honda's lineup at that displacement that makes sense.

^

I agree with you I think Honda are milking the cbr name now and I still don't really see how this bike is neededor fits into the market demands

In regards to the CBR name...you realise that Honda has a standard set of names, don't you? The "C" was their third line of standard bikes (after "A" and "B") and for whatever reason they never moved to "D" or above. When there are qualifiers it gets more interesting. The "B" part is intended for "sporty" bikes. Since the CBR will be the sportiest 500 that Honda will offer that makes sense. Finally the "R" is the intended for the racing variant. As the CBR 500 is the most race worthy bike in Honda's lineup at that displacement that makes sense.

Never really thought about it. I thought "A" was the designation for the Ape bikes, or monkey bikes as we called them, which go way back in Honda history.

My first Honda was one of these....which I bought out of my summer vacation work money second last year of school.

post-63954-0-49174700-1349872018_thumb.j

First Honda I rode was one of these about a year and half before buying 175. I had to kiss the next door neighbours a$$ for weeks for a 10 minute ride!

post-63954-0-07775700-1349872113_thumb.j

Second Honda I bought was one of these. A guy traded it (6 months old) on a Bonneville and the Triumph agent wanted the Jap shit gone. I obliged!

post-63954-0-28667200-1349872420_thumb.j

PS: If anyone knows where there maybe a 305, complete any condition, let me know. All I see here are the occasional Bentley 125

Edited by BSJ

If the specs given are accurate it should be a cb470. No way a bike weighing 430 pounds with less than 50 hp should be labelled a cbr500, it's a tank!

Having said that, it's abundantly clear that marketing is a very powerful tool...

If the specs given are accurate it should be a cb470. No way a bike weighing 430 pounds with less than 50 hp should be labelled a cbr500, it's a tank!

Having said that, it's abundantly clear that marketing is a very powerful tool...

Get off of it already. Honda uses the "RR" designation just like Kawasaki uses the "ZX" designation. The only Japanese manufacturers who are 'honest' about their product lines are Yammie and Suzuki...and look where their sales are at worldwide compared to the 'dishonest' two.

they say, we will see cbr500 and its variants at the next Motor Show at the end of November and it will be on sale a month later that that during December.

Please honda make it more that 50 hp and less that 190 kg man, c'mon you can do that and please do not trap us on fuc.ing EU licence rules.

I am excited!

Here a picture which we obtained from a photographer who does work for Honda Thailand now-and-then... The original picture shows that it's marked as a Honda CB300R.

The picture is likely a fake, while the machine is actually real - it's doubtful that it'll be introduced in Thailand or that it's manufactured in Thailand

post-12170-0-55899300-1349932826_thumb.j

Edited by Richard-BKK

Here a picture which we obtained from a photographer who does work for Honda Thailand now-and-then... The original picture shows that it's marked as a Honda CB300R.

The picture is likely a fake, while the machine is actually real - it's doubtful that it'll be introduced in Thailand or that it's manufactured in Thailand

I hope the 500 looks like that too, then it's a definite buy for me.

No, the picture is not a fake. It is from the Honda site for Brazil which has manufactured and sold the CB300R for a number of years. rolleyes.gif

http://www.motorcycl...a_cb300r 10.htm

As for 'obtaining the photo'... yeah right... go to google and type in CB300R Brazil and there you go. rolleyes.gif

Or just go to the Official Site on Honda Brazil and see that exact screenshot. laugh.png

http://www2.honda.com.br/hondacb300r/#/home

Edited by cbrer

I just came across this on Facebook. Not sure what magazine it is from or if it is even real. It certainly looks nicer the the first spy pics that came out though.

I just came across this on Facebook. Not sure what magazine it is from or if it is even real. It certainly looks nicer the the first spy pics that came out though.

Nice picture of the Honda CBR600RR as it writes under the picture, the two smaller pictures are an artist impression of what a Honda CBR500RR could look like

Again, utter nonsense.

They are two designs that were submitted for the CBR250R in 2010. :rolleyes:

img_3.jpg

Honda's designers around the world submitted images like these, envisioning the future CBR250R

http://world.honda.com/design/designers-talk/cbr250r/

You don't really know what you're talking about eh, but are some what desparate to bluff it. ermm.gif

Nice picture of the Honda CBR600RR as it writes under the picture, the two smaller pictures are an artist impression of what a Honda CBR500RR could look like

Again, utter nonsense.

They are two designs that were submitted for the CBR250R in 2010. :rolleyes:

img_3.jpg

Honda's designers around the world submitted images like these, envisioning the future CBR250R

http://world.honda.com/design/designers-talk/cbr250r/

You don't really know what you're talking about eh, but are some what desparate to bluff it. ermm.gif

@cbrer

What is the point of your post?

Edited by yankee99

guys guys, they will start to sell the bike in next Motor show end of November in Impact arena definitely. yahoooo!!!

Actually, they will start to book teh bikes.

And the biggest tip here until now: whoever goes there on the first day and minutes of the opening of the show, can get their bikes first!!! So, we need to line up at the gates at 11:59 as it will start on Friday at 12:00 afternoon. Please do not push each other there guys.biggrin.png

This info is coming from a reliable source man really.

So, now we only hope for a more than 50 hp and less that 190 kg biketongue.png

guys guys, they will start to sell the bike in next Motor show end of November in Impact arena definitely. yahoooo!!!

And the biggest tip here until now: whoever goes there on the first day and minutes of the opening of the show, can get their bikes first!!! So, we need to line up at the gates at 11:59 as it will start on Friday at 12:00 afternoon. Please do not push each other there guys.biggrin.png

That's all great info. But could you do us (or me at least) one favour? Could you please stop saying 'man' in every second sentence. I'm female and find it derogatory (and annoying, as I'm sure other posters aged over 15 do).

Thanks. :)

• Like 1

That's all great info. But could you do us (or me at least) one favour? Could you please stop saying 'man' in every second sentence. I'm female and find it derogatory (and annoying, as I'm sure other posters aged over 15 do).

Thanks. smile.png

What - there are females in the bike forum??? Can't believe it smile.png

Not offended by the language - I think man can be used for both male and female?! Similar to 'dude', or 'bro'.

Good thing I am not dead set on getting this bike, or getting it before anyone else... I mean... relax... they're going to make a shit ton of them and anyone who wants one will be able to buy one in a month or three....

Edited by nikster