Cbr 500Cc Leaked Pic

greg71

If this bikes tops out at 105 then I'd imagine overtaking between 85-105 is going to be a slow process.

Top speed is purely academical, or for discussion on forums or in bars, as no one rides at top speed. OK maybe once or twice just to see, but in most places in the world riders stick to two lane "B-Roads" because they have corners and ...

As long as it cruises at 80 or 130kph so one can go on multi lane highways to get to the good roads then it is braking, handling and acceleration out of corners that is more important.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Richard maybe its going to be made in Italy AND Thailand laugh.png

sent from my ..................#

Yes, that's possible, but unlikely – even if this motorcycle will be a very popular model it will only be manufactured in one place. Only small bikes with huge units solds around the world, or heavy monsters that just cost to much to transport (Goldwing) are produced in several factories.

But who knows, if you asked me a few years ago will Honda Thailand be producing the same motorcycles as Honda Indonesia and Honda India I would have said no, but today... several models which are also made in Thailand roll from the production lines in India and Indonesia...

So in the end, only time can tell us (I only say it's not a good sign)...

^

agree that's 168 kph never driven my truck at them speeds on thai roads ,I'd bet it goes a little faster than the quoted speeds to.Based on speedo reading are normally around 10 kph out that's a speedo reading you should see of around 178 kph

All my Honda speedos were 10 kph the other way. Meaning when the speedo said 150, two independent GPS units said 140.

Also, we don't know if the quoted speed is limited in some way. The bike may be modifiable to attain higher speeds, most likely voiding the warranty. It seems artificially low for a 500

If this bikes tops out at 105 then I'd imagine overtaking between 85-105 is going to be a slow process.

Top speed is purely academical, or for discussion on forums or in bars, as no one rides at top speed. OK maybe once or twice just to see, but in most places in the world riders stick to two lane "B-Roads" because they have corners and ...

As long as it cruises at 80 or 130kph so one can go on multi lane highways to get to the good roads then it is braking, handling and acceleration out of corners that is more important.

No-one rides at top speed? Surely that depends what bike you are on?!? If you think no-one rides their sports bike above 160 kph in Thailand then I am afraid you are wrong. And if you think that good acceleration between 130kph and 160kph is not useful in real world conditions on Thai roads then you are also wrong.

If you don't want any of these things then I am not sure why you would bother spending 200k baht on a 500cc sports tourer. Just get a CBR150 or 250.

^

agree that's 168 kph never driven my truck at them speeds on thai roads ,I'd bet it goes a little faster than the quoted speeds to.Based on speedo reading are normally around 10 kph out that's a speedo reading you should see of around 178 kph

All my Honda speedos were 10 kph the other way. Meaning when the speedo said 150, two independent GPS units said 140.

Also, we don't know if the quoted speed is limited in some way. The bike may be modifiable to attain higher speeds, most likely voiding the warranty. It seems artificially low for a 500

I agree, as I said earlier in the thread it seems too low for a bike with 46hp. Could be rev limited in the top gears, could be choked by the exhaust, could be geared strange. Any of these things should be easily fixed if that's the case.

No-one rides at top speed? Surely that depends what bike you are on?!? If you think no-one rides their sports bike above 160 kph in Thailand then I am afraid you are wrong. And if you think that good acceleration between 130kph and 160kph is not useful in real world conditions on Thai roads then you are also wrong.

If you don't want any of these things then I am not sure why you would bother spending 200k baht on a 500cc sports tourer. Just get a CBR150 or 250.

Agreed, I consistently ride above 150 kph on certain roads on my bike, and there are times I need to accelerate quickly to get myself out of a situation or distance myself from something or other. Even in my truck I often cruise at 150 on the motorway. I just can't see a 500 having such a low top speed. I guess we will have to wait. I am sure that it is easily modified, as mine was.

Well this is the Euro law that the bike has been built for.

Category A2, minimum age 19 with the following characteristics:

• power not exceeding 35kW with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power

The motorcycles you use for your test will have:

• an engine capacity of at least 395cc
  • engine power of at least 25kW and up to 35kW
  • no sidecar

Progressive access: upgrade A1 to A2 must hold a full category A1 licence for a minimum of 2 years and must pass a practical test. The feasibility of an alternative training option is currently under review.

Direct access: minimum 19 years and have a valid theory test certificate and take the practical test.

Maybe they have added a maximum speed bit on as well.. like they have in China.....But then i think the Newer 700 has a lower top speed but more bottom range..

^ whoa.

Apparently there's 3 models - CBR500, CB500, and CB500X which is kind of like a small version of the NC700X!

Exciting!!

HFL has the scoop: http://hellforleathe...-cbr500-family/

- 470cc liquid-cooled, parallel-twin

- Six-speed manual

- 46.9bhp

- 30lb/ft of torque

- 401lbs (dry)/430lbs (wet)

- 105mph top speed

- 31-inch seat height

- 120/70-17 (front)/160-60-17 (rear)

The article from HLM includes pictures from a photo shot, or promotion video for a new motorcycle, shot in Italia which is not a good sign for indication that the motorcycles will be produced in Thailand. The Italian Honda factory is also capable of producing a new line of motorcycles, according to some yearly figures Honda Italia is only producing below 70% its production capacity, while Honda Thailand is sometimes pushing over the 100% production capacity (or did Honda Thailand opened a new factory we did not hear about?)

Hey Richard maybe its going to be made in Italy AND Thailand :lol:

sent from my ..................#

I was thinking the same thing. Makes sense to me.

As I said forums and bars. Oh and we are talking about a 470cc parallel twin here we are not talking about other bikes. I can happily cruise at 160 but mine isn't a 500 twin.

What ever the reasons

I have to admit it is underwhelming

IMHO for many reasons.

I wish it could have been more & elicited

some passion but it is what it is.

Honda seems to be moving in a certain direction

at least with bikes aimed at this market.

This follows the cbr250 with that same direction

Edited by mania

As I said forums and bars. Oh and we are talking about a 470cc parallel twin here we are not talking about other bikes. I can happily cruise at 160 but mine isn't a 500 twin.

You don't want to ride above 160kph, therefore anyone who does (or knows people who do) is either a liar or does it purely so they can discuss it later on a forum or in a bar? Love the logic laugh.png. If you just like big bikes because they look "cool" and you're not actually interested in the enhanced performance they can offer over smaller bikes then that's fine, but that doesn't mean that everyone is either the same as you or a liar smile.png .

I'm aware that it's a 470 cc twin, which is why I was surprised that the top speed is given as only 105mph, given that a CBR250 single does circa 95 mph, a Ninja 250 twin does circa 100mph and a Ninja 300 twin does circa 105mph. I would have thought it would have been a bit quicker than that, and I actually hope (and suspect) that this figure is not accurate.

Jonny, you mentioned possible reasons earlier. Since all indications are that this bike was intended to neatly fit into the Euro learner bracket it does make sense that it would be 'restricted' in terms of top speed. I would think most bikes in that class are bought by parents; who wants their kid learning on a a machine that has been culturally determined to be a death trap and can go much faster than the tonne?

According to my figuring, peak horsepower can not come on before 8200 RPM. Any time before that and the HP=(torque * RPM)/5252 formula has the torque too high. As a point of reference the 2012+ models of ER-6 have their peak HP at 8500 RPM. I'm going to go out on a limb and hazard a guess the CBR500 shares a similar redline also. At 11,000 RPM with the rear tyre it has, the bike--assuming it is gearing limited--would have a total gear ratio of 2,25 for sixth. In contrast the ER-6 has a 2,61 total gear ratio for sixth. So continuing the supposition that the bike is gear limited, you'd either have five gears (where the fifth was a little taller than the competition's fifth) OR your sixth gear is really short OR the final drive is really short. The first two options really screw the customer looking for more speed and the third does not fit into Honda's current strategy of providing 'green' bikes as it would make the 500 a little hooligan bike that would consume an 'excessive' amount of fuel. This makes me think that perhaps the bike is not gear limited.

Perhaps it is RPM limited? If so, only in top gear (like the KLX)? Or throughout all the gears?

So many questions so few data points.

Anybody else notice there's ABS on them there bikes?

**edit**

Also, looking at the last picture of the CB-X sure appears there are two mufflers or a cat and muffler/silencer. One located in the standard place and one up under the engine. This is further re-enforced, in my opinion, by the exhaust buldge on the left side of the CB-R which would make me think the exhausts curve toward the left (as seen in the CB-X photo) and the cut into an exhaust 'box' before being taken out the right side to the main silencer. Will this allow easy replacement with quite a bit of weight loss and a more free flowing exhaust that will free up some ponies?

Edited by dave_boo

I did notice a single front disc sad.png

From a technology standpoint dual front disc brakes is for some time not necessary anymore. The technology of disc brakes have evolved and with the use of modern materials manufacturers can create a single disc brake for a motorcycle that far excide the stopping ability of older twin disc brakes.

Also Honda is likely to use eC-ABS (Electronic Combi-ABS) which means that when you grab the front brake you also will brake with the rear brake for a small percentage...

But I have to agree that two disc brakes at the front wheel would have looked better.

I did notice a single front disc sad.png

From a technology standpoint dual front disc brakes is for some time not necessary anymore. The technology of disc brakes have evolved and with the use of modern materials manufacturers can create a single disc brake for a motorcycle that far excide the stopping ability of older twin disc brakes.

Also Honda is likely to use eC-ABS (Electronic Combi-ABS) which means that when you grab the front brake you also will brake with the rear brake for a small percentage...

But I have to agree that two disc brakes at the front wheel would have looked better.

For once I agree... judge it by its braking performance, not by the number of discs... as for top speed, it's probably tuned for torque rather than high end speed, those often seem to be mutually exclusive. Same as the CBR250...

Edited by nikster

Gusto Rumba... now there was one ugly bike. And those were dark days, when the Gusto Rumba was on the short list of inexpensive bikes over 150cc available in Thailand. I think the looks of the new CBX are ok, except for the big red "X". I also want a better look at the naked version.

not sure about that my nc 30 used to be very comfortable between 140 and 150 but (more on the 140) side and was often ridden at those speeds on open highway.

It could certainly peg the speedo especially once derestricted.

My nsr 250 rr could as well

Edited by tinfoilhat

Finally some solid photos:)

Cbr500 looks great. I ll get cbr500 sure but it ll be more expensive of all i guess.

ABS is standard you think guys or it s an extra?

Cbx is also looks good and practical. Now is there any reason left to buy nc700 x or nc variants? honda is axing its own portfolio. Funny and strange.

But yes sheep in wolf clothing - exact words Carlos thanks- with a mere 47 hp and 40 nm torque. I have still hopes like 47 hp is only for europe and asian version will get more power. Bike Gods please prove me true on this.

So all is good with the bike except its power:(

Now i m thinking if i can transfer the mods from my cbr 250 to 500?

Rear foot pegs looks the same and i think front pegs have the same alingement. Hope i can do that. I love my bikers aluminum stuff in my cbr.

Are they the same shocks on cbr250?

What do you think guys?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Finally some solid photos:)

Cbr500 looks great. I ll get cbr500 sure but it ll be more expensive of all i guess.

ABS is standard you think guys or it s an extra?

Cbx is also looks good and practical. Now is there any reason left to buy nc700 x or nc variants? honda is axing its own portfolio. Funny and strange.

But yes sheep in wolf clothing - exact words Carlos thanks- with a mere 47 hp and 40 nm torque. I have still hopes like 47 hp is only for europe and asian version will get more power. Bike Gods please prove me true on this.

So all is good with the bike except its power:(

Now i m thinking if i can transfer the mods from my cbr 250 to 500?

Rear foot pegs looks the same and i think front pegs have the same alingement. Hope i can do that. I love my bikers aluminum stuff in my cbr.

Are they the same shocks on cbr250?

What do you think guys?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes..no..not sure...... just wait and see!

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App