Does The Us Embassy Have Some Kind Of Certificate That Acknowleges My Marriage?

farang000999

Hi. We have our Thai Marriage Certificate but it occurred to me that it would be nice to have some kind of documentation from the US Embassy in Bangkok that they have acknowledged my marriage (which they have done. For example, my daughter was born in Thailand but the US gov issued me a certificate/document called Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Is there an equivalency for marriage? Hope this is clear.

Simply stated, no, the U.S. Embassy doesn't "acknowledge" or "certify" a Thai marriage. It's already quite legal in every state in the U.S. and it's not a Federal matter.

However, you might want to have the marriage document from the amphur translated then chopped off by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Could be handy one day in the U.S.

Mac

Can't register a foreign marriage in Oregon, or at least in Clackamas County. State Department also doesn't do such. It's just NOT necessary. See this earlier thread:

Re this?? "The US embassy does affairm the authenticity of the certificate plus translation I believe."

Do you mean this?

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

Authentication of Royal Thai Government Officials' Signatures

U.S Consular Officers in Thailand may authenticate Thai public documents for use in the United States if the documents bear the seal of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Please bring the document to our office and we will provide this service.

Fee: $50 for eachauthentication.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mac

Mac

No, and you can't notarize a document that has not been signed in front of the Notary anyway.

From the embassy:

Please contact your county clerk in the U.S. and ask about the required documents to register your marriage in the United States. Once you are married you will need to file your marriage certificate with your county clerk in the U.S. for it to be legal there. In some cases the county clerk will ask that the marriage certificate be “certified” by the U.S. Embassy. In reality you will need to have the certificate translated and certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and then the U.S. Embassy can authenticate the signature of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs officer and add our seal.

Regards,

American Citizen Services

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

Edited by bangkokburning

I am simply posting what I rec'd from the embassy. I asked a follow up and even they (us emb) were uncertain whether it would be necessary to have/do.

Certainly, there is no national recognition I think we all agree of a certified valid certificate. It appears to boil down to the county level as you stated. We have no plans to return for some time but for myself personally, yes - I will contact the county registrar before going thru this hassle. I am not even certain what this "gets you". Her visa paperwork will be her visa paperwork. She can open accounts and get licenses with green card. I can see though IF you desired to register the marriage how he cert in Thai would be unacceptable as English is here.

my 2 baht

farang - many questions there. You already have a green card for her? Not only are you married but you (she) is good to go (to USA). You need do nothing more insofar as getting into the US and required paperwork/checks to stay.

My question for the board is when might you need or want to register your marriage in USA? Benefit?

If you die...you may want to look into a will. Probate w/o will could be a hassle for non citizen, esp if you are sponsor. You want her to get the assets and move on asap. If there are family members that might have a go at her, double so.

Edited by bangkokburning

In the case of the UK one of the two original Thai marriage certificates should be sent to the Ministry of Work and Pensions in Newcastle who insist on doing the translation themselves. Your wife then becomes entitled to a Death Benefit grant of 2K sterling when you snuff it. Well worth the effort and will help pay for sending you up the chimney.

It used to be the case that she could also be registered for National Insurance benefits which provide for a reduced pension for 12 months, paid at 4 weekly intervals, and a UK State pension in her own right on reaching UK benefit age. At least one part of 'The Nanny State' which has my full approval - and hers. She deserves a few quid for all the ironing she has done for me over the years.

• Like 1