Thailand's Bt120 Billion Anti-Flood Budget Exhausted

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone needs to step up to the plate and account for every penny. Yes it's called accounting. Since this money is from taxes, does the public have access to the records?

It would be interesting to see someone do an actual story on something like this. Where is wikileaks when you need them.

• Like 1

They can always push the flood waters down to the sea, using boat propellers. That great idea seemed to work last time..........

Yes and the Government should also tell all Thais to use their fans on highest speed to blow back the typhoon winds that bring all the rain from Vietnam and laos back into the South China Sea.

Yes, well done. A voice of reason out of a chorus of naysayers bearing sticks to beat the government with - do you not get bored saying the same things in slightly different ways?

A completly new story for you.

A few days before, we heard an excavator working downhill on the creek (valley). The man working in it removed earth from the escarpment, killing all bushes, green and grass. At the end, the slope of the creek was closed by brown earth. And of course, some blue waterpipes for the people in the remote area had been damaged. Some rocky stones have been lifted out, too.

To my question „Why?“ I reveived the answer: „protect against flood“.

Because nowbody would pay for this nonsense privately, I thaught by myself, it's the budget fever at the end of the fiscal year. Now I learnt that was to protect central Thailand. They couldn't understand, why I laughed so much about this fairy tail.

Our area is part of the Mae Hong Son Province. The watershed between Chiang Mai and the Mae Hong Song is on Huay Nam Dang, on the the border line between both provinces. The water of most parts of the MHS Province runs into the Pai river ….. and the Pai river flows into the Salween River in Kayah State, MYANMAR.

That's the way to save Bangkok and ....... (I wouln't like to bore you)

• Like 2

They can always push the flood waters down to the sea, using boat propellers. That great idea seemed to work last time..........

Different strategy this year...they are going to empty the ocean near the mouth and allow it to flow out more freely.

• Like 1

Look, floods are inevitable. Bangkok is on a flood-plane in a monsoonal zone. This is what happens. Could be worse... could be Dhaka. And last year was an aberration... rainfall more than 300% above average. Not that it can't happen again. But people here seem to be ready to blame the government unless every part of the country stays bone-dry. Good luck with that...

It's nice to blame the government, haven't you noticed. It consists of mentally retarded crooks, excuse my French, who keep coming up with empty promises and lies of such a magnitude that hardly anyone takes them serious. Except for a couple of us on Thaivisa, like you and this island Don..

MoS&T Plodprasop indicated more inspections need to be done together with more explanations on what goes on. It seems PM Yingluck didn't manage to inspect all yet. All this may mean a minor additional budget might be needed.

Thailand Live Tuesday 11th September #48:

"In any case, Mr. Plodprasop said that the government will speedily clarify its policies with residents who reside in low-lying areas around the Chao Phraya River Basin to calm public worries and to inspect all dikes and levees, which have been in use for many years, in order to make sure that they will be strong enough to handle an increase in water mass."

All these comments about skimming are very correct. After moving from Bangkok to Issan I have discovered how these little mini-communities operate. There is typically about a two square kilometer community (maybe less) that is operated by a "governent man" operating out of his house. The federal government distributes funds to these small government people for community improvements. The local Thais are well aware that these guys are skimming a big chunk of the improvement money (and accept the corruption) because every time they get this federal money they miraculously have these huge home improvement projects. Think about it. This guy is only covering a small fragment of Thailand. Think of the thousands of guys like this and they pocket most of the money. No wonder we see no changes after these blocks of money distrbuted.

"On the mammoth investment of Bt350 billion budget for long-term flood prevention, the finance minister said the government is assessing proposals for various projects from the private sector, both domestic and international, after which concessions will be awarded. (MCOT online news)"

Too late.. A year has already passed since the last floods, and this years floods are already apparently coming. You are considering proposals? Too late, the government is showing the inefficiency, immobility and ignorance it is famous for worldwide. I guess, when you have people like the person pictured (the DPM?) in charge, it is not hard to come to a quick conclusion as to why things are the way they are.

I do think things would be further along under the Democrats, but there are corrupt people within that circle too - and as we know in Thailand, the fish rots from the head. How many people have to die, how many people have to lose their hopes, their dreams, livelihoods and futures before people will start openly ousting corrupt, lazy political officials in this country who are not interested in serving anyone other than themselves?

post-79980-0-15762000-1347448828_thumb.j

Edited by TheGhostWithin
  • Like 1

Can you build dykes out of Mercedes ???

As a central European, I think it is wonderful that the money of Thailand's middle classes and peasants is funneled to Swiss watch- and german car manufacturers.

After all, as a thai MP correctly noted, we have to support a welfare system where Thai girls need only lie back, think of the Euro and learn English by osmosis...

I don't expect the peasants to complain, but it is a pity that the Thai middle class haven't wisened up to what happens to their tax money! So much for the education system.

Anyway, we should just keep making watches and selling Mercedes, and mind our own business!!

At least they are keeping you in business...cheesy.gif

Seems that we'll see more photos like this one in the near future.

The other photo shows the solution. Don't we all know where the money didn't go to?----------wai.gif

What we are told is that the 120 Million Baht has been allocated against a list of approved flood defense projects. Hopefully that cash is in the hands of the many project engineers who have to arrange for the payment of the subcontractors. At this stage there is no reason to suspect corruption and time enough for a Quantity Surveyors audit to discover if Thailand has quantifiable value in the works completed that reconciles with the 120 Million allocated. If any member of the house has befitted financially from the 120 million I think that they should be publicly Birched. Edited by indyuk
  • Like 1

Seems that we'll see more photos like this one in the near future.

The other photo shows the solution. Don't we all know where the money didn't go to?----------wai.gif

What we are told is that the 120 Million Baht has been allocated against a list of approved flood defense projects. Hopefully that cash is in the hands of the many project engineers who have to arrange for the payment of the subcontractors. At this stage there is no reason to suspect corruption and time enough for a Quantity Surveyors audit to discover if Thailand has quantifiable value in the works completed that reconciles with the 120 Million allocated. If any member of the house has befitted financially from the 120 million I think that they should be publicly Birched.

Polite correction

120 BILLION

I have no doubt that a portion of the money was wasted and went into many deep pockets. In our country we waste tons of money too but when it comes to important projects that are used to directly save lives and property of tax payers then many people and agencies are held accountable and checks and balances are in place to see that the projects are accomplished on time. In Thailand well I just do not see that happening except shifting blame on other countries, people when the S#@!T hits the fan and things go amuck.

And now it starts.

The money has gone, but where did it all go? Any tangible evidence out there anywhere of what the 120 billion actually built?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT 120 bILLION GONE. DISTRIBUTED??? Does the Government not manage these things. Isnt it a bit lame??? First they want to try out the new diversion system, and the Prime Minister said that if it did not work... it would be halted... what would be halted ??? Water or the project... Waste of energy. Why dont they the govt give it to the Dutch to help them out. They have been at this for years. PRIDE written all over the smiles.... better loose 120 Billion baht trying, then flood or kill a couple of people or regions supply, put companies again at risk.... put in some claims and play politics... Big brother is watching!!!!! OR is he controlling..... i CAN HEAR HIM SING LAY IIIIIIIIIT BEEEEEEEEEE.....

120 bILLION LETS WORK THAT OUT, WITH ROUGHLY 65 MILLION IN THE COUNTRY THAT WOULD WORK OUT TO CIRCA 1800+ per person to relocate or vacate. Hmmm so which areas are affected.... thats is really not the whole country say 30 Million people affected...exaggerating... that would give each person roughly 3400 plus to evacuate. NO NO NO...what do you say ..... ahhhhhhhhhhh anti flood. Sand bags, pipes and pumps... Yeah just as I thought.... fix a pump and flood the neighbouring non red shirt owners land.... what did you say... use funds to help refugees or refugee.... Sin or What?

It does not say that the money is exhausted, it says that it has been distributed to the various State Agencies. Whether or not these Agenices have yet spent all their allocated funds is yet to be seen. It appears that there is still work in progress and funds yet to be spent as some State Agencies are behind on the flood prevention works.

Yes, well done. A voice of reason out of a chorus of naysayers bearing sticks to beat the government with - do you not get bored saying the same things in slightly different ways?

I guess that might be a little hard to say Khun PPD unless of course, you live in Sukhothai or Ayutthaya. Maybe devastated or even disgusted, but not hardly bored.

Edited by Dap