Bangkok Warned Of Flood Threat As Heavy Rain Predicted

webfact

Bangkok warned of flood threat as heavy rain predicted

THE NATION

30190303-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Residents in 27 at-risk communities in Bangkok have been warned to brace for floods this weekend as heavy rains are expected from tomorrow (Friday) until Monday.

All the flood-prone communities, home to around 1,200 families, are located along the Chao Phraya River in areas that have no embankment.

However, having an embankment is not always a guarantee against flooding. Such is the case in Sukhothai, which has seen water from the Yom River seeping in even though the level is not overflowing the embankment.

"The water is seeping in from under the embankment," Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee said yesterday in his capacity as the chair of the Water and Flood Management Commission (WFMC).

He believed the problem stemmed from the fact that the embankment does not have foundation poles, and the high water pressure is causing the seepage. He added that the WFMC has recruited engineers from private companies in a bid to quickly and efficiently end the flooding in Sukhothai.

The commission is also urgently examining embankments in Nakhon Sawan, Sing Buri, Angthong and Ayutthaya.

"We have to identify the riskiest spots and try to minimise that risk," Plodprasob said.

According to Plodprasob, the embankments in Sukhothai, Sing Buri and Angthong were constructed in 2001. However, the embankment in Nakhon Sawan is newer.

'UNPRECEDENTED'

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday reckoned that relevant authorities would have to shift their focus on provinces downstream from Sukhothai.

"We are now assessing the situation and trying to prepare solutions for all possible scenarios," she said.

When asked whether her government would be able to control the flooding, Yingluck said, "I can only say that we are doing our best".

She urged locals to watch out and alert relevant authorities if they noticed any flood risks.

Plodprasob said the problem in Sukhothai was "unprecedented".

In a separate interview, Komsan Maleesee, deputy dean of the Faculty of Engineering at King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang, said the government should not just say that the problem was beyond control.

"This reflects that the earthen base for the embankment might have sustained problems from last year's flooding," Komsan said. "The government should have done better".

In a related development, WFMC deputy chair and spokesman Chadchart Sittiphan said the list of qualified companies for the submission of water-management concepts under the government's Bt300-billion budget would be announced on September 20.

Sukhothai

Floods have forced the temporary closure of five schools and a vocational institute, sidelining thousands of students.

Wat Ratchathani historical site has also been inundated.

Floods in Sukhothai municipality are spreading to nearby low-lying areas, including tambon Ban Lum, Pak Khwae and Yang Sai in Muang district. Public-health officials are on hand to assist and advise the rising numbers of flood victims.

Phitsanulok

Downstream from Sukhothai, the banks of the Yom River are overflowing homes. Around 7,000 rai of farm fields in Phitsanulok's Bang Rakam and Phrom Phiram districts are submerged. Residents along the river have moved their belongings to higher places and are using boats to travel. A school in Phrom Phiram has been closed temporarily.

Phichit

The overflowing Yom River has inundated 50 houses in Sam Ngam district with one-metre-deep waters. Farmers in tambon Khlong Khachen in Muang district are using boats to harvest their rice fields.

Angthong

More than 450 residents of 148 households have been flooded out in Muang district's tambon Phong Pheng. Thirty boats have been requested and around 30 people asked for tents to live in. Water was one metre deep in some areas. The higher stage of the Chao Phraya has caused a canal to back up in Phong Pheng's tambon Ban It, causing worries that the waters will break through embankments.

Uttaradit

Flood damage is estimated at Bt100 million in Muang and Laplae districts, where 2,000 rai of agricultural areas and 12 roads were covered. Floodwaters are now receding.

Tak

The overflowing Wang River has submerged 333 residences and 2,444 rai of paddy fields in Ban Tak district. Farmers have been advised to monitor the flood situation and are urged speed up the harvest of their crops.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-13

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When asked whether her government would be able to control the flooding, Yingluck said, "I can only say that we are doing our best".

This statement has a familiar ring to it.

The headline of the article must be the understatement of the year. "Water seeps into Sukhothai"

• Like 1

Thai capital on alert for possible flooding

BANGKOK, Sept 13 – Bangkok residents have been warned of four days of possible floods due to rainfall, starting Friday.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Malinee Sukavejworakit warned residents in 27 communities outside the city’s embankments to move their belongings to higher ground while officials of 50 Bangkok districts were instructed to be on full alert.

Ms Malinee quoted a Meteorological Department report predicting rain in the Bangkok metropolitan area Sept 14-17 and, to worsen the situation, it coincides with high tide during the period.

Water pumps must be ready for pumping duty, especially in flood-prone areas, to drain water, she said. Municipal workers have been instructed to check the city’s embankments along the Chao Phraya River to ensure that they are intact.

The order came on the heels of flash floods in the northern province of Sukhothai after water flowed through a breach in the flood prevention wall.

Dr Malinee said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has ordered opening the city’s sluice gates to alleviate risk of flooding.

She urged the government to drain water into eastern and western Bangkok instead of the Chao Phraya River which could affect residents in inner part of the capital. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-13

I wonder where Nisa is in defending the government. We all know not much has been done and the budget like the water has seeped away but the budget found their way in the pockets of corrupt red government people while the water seeps or rushes into the home of the poor.

With a year (less actually to be fair) and an enormous budget more could have been done. It has not and it all comes down to the government being corrupt and inapt. Making banks is not real hard work and could have completed much faster.

Now the government is talking about unprecedented.. id say last year was a good precedent. First it was local and now the scale is a lot bigger with flooding in many places. That is not to say that flooding does not happen normally but with those kinds of budget things could have changed.

• Like 2

He added that the WFMC has recruited engineers from private companies in a bid to quickly and efficiently end the flooding in Sukhothai.

"But does this all not feel rather like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, run three times round the meadow and stripped the field of grass?"

(http://www.ftadviser.com/2012/09/12/opinion/tony-hazell/fsa-crackdown-on-incentives-is-welcome-but-long-overdue-mpzMCTOiwjf8tPL9XFm3OL/article.html?ftar=true)

And with 7 years to plan, billions of dollars to spend, and the "best technology" in the richest nation in the world, Isaac still breached levees in Louisiana.

I'd cut the government here some slack.

I'd cut the government, and save a lot of money

• Like 1

Shouldn’t all of this prevention have been done a long time ago?

Or has the government just spent a whole year figuring out how to steel the allocation funds?

Or perhaps now they are worried all the millions have already been pocketed and now think the people will be distracted away enough from that fact because of the imminent dangers of flooding.

Of course we all know the populous is stupid and the people in charge are "geng mark" so we cant say anything bad!

• Like 1

To be honest i bought some new waders so i will be prepared this year. I really hope i wont have to use them but its better to have them. We are in a high part of Nothaburi but got flooded just the same last year (first time in the history of this village 30+ years).

Even if i wont get flooded i might use the waders to help others in the low lying area's. Normally it does not flood here so a repeat would show the governments incompetence clearly.

• Like 1

Shouldn’t all of this prevention have been done a long time ago?

Or has the government just spent a whole year figuring out how to steel the allocation funds?

Or perhaps now they are worried all the millions have already been pocketed and now think the people will be distracted away enough from that fact because of the imminent dangers of flooding.

Of course we all know the populous is stupid and the people in charge are "geng mark" so we cant say anything bad!

Probably stolen so much from the budgets that what remains is not enough to do anything.

• Like 1

There is no need for concern. Yingluck promised everybody that there would be no floods.

Well, the electorate in NorthEast might be happy, this year not much flood there I think ermm.gif

I don't think it is lost on many in Korat, that 2 years ago, they got it, last year, another part of the country got it, and conspiracy theories abound how that happened.

And with 7 years to plan, billions of dollars to spend, and the "best technology" in the richest nation in the world, Isaac still breached levees in Louisiana.

I'd cut the government here some slack.

I'd cut the government, and save a lot of money

How can you cut them some slack when they continue to make ridiculous statements such as - Plodprasob said the problem in Sukhothai was "unprecedented". Sukothai must be one of the most flood prone areas in Thailand. I remember driving around that area sometime during the 90s & there was water everywhere with many suffering families living on the raised highway nearby their submerged homes.