Retiring With Family

Hello,

New to ThaiVisa. I hope this is the right place to ask my question.

I'm considering retiring to Thailand with my family on a retirement visa. I have two children (8&1). All three of us are British passport holders. However...I have a Dominican girlfriend who I am NOT married to. She is the legal mother of one of the children. The children can get residency as my dependents. My girlfriend is the carer of the two children and she will be coming with us.

Can she get residency as a dependent under my retirement visa?

Does she get residency as the legal mother and caregiver of a dependent child?

If not,

What are other options.

Many thanks in advance,

TG

Your Girlfriend can get 12 month extensions based on having a Child studying in a school in Thailand.

She will need to show at least 500,000 Baht in a Thai bank.

2.11 In the case of a family member of an alien who has been permitted to stay temporarily in Thailand for study in an educational institution as set out in clauses 2.8 or 2.9 (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted child or the child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(5) In the case of parents, there must be an account deposit with a local bank made in the name of father or mother of not less than Baht 500,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months. For the first year, it should have that said amount in the bank account for not less than 30 days at the submitted date of the application.

A child of 8 years can study in Thailand a child only 1 years old not. I suspect she is the legal mother of the youngest child, which doesn't give her any options.

She can start a study of herself and thus qualify for a longer stay in Thailand, till the youngest child will be going to elementary school.

whistling.gif As LiteBeer said in another posting....the Thai immigration can sometimes insist on a legal marriage being required.

The laws usually state and the immigration can insist on all marriages being De Jure...by law...for such cases.

Not saying it WILL mean it's not allowed, but just be aware of that possibility.

Believe it or not, Thailand is rather puritanical in that respect...and least it's laws are....if not in practice.

Contrary to the image you might get in Europe and the U.S. of Thailand in that respect.

"Domestic partner" is a very new concept here, and not accepted by many officials who have to make a decision based upon their interpretation of Thai law as written.

wink.png

Thank you for the replies. My girlfriend is the mother of the one year old. I think I can get myself and the two kids in OK on a retirement visa. Would the board advise I go ahead and apply for the retirement visa for me and the kids and get my GF in on a tourist visa and try to find a solution once in country?

She could study in Thailand but not full time as she is the carer of the kids.

I'd like to think there are other workable options short of getting married.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Thank you for the replies. My girlfriend is the mother of the one year old. I think I can get myself and the two kids in OK on a retirement visa. Would the board advise I go ahead and apply for the retirement visa for me and the kids and get my GF in on a tourist visa and try to find a solution once in country?

She could study in Thailand but not full time as she is the carer of the kids.

I'd like to think there are other workable options short of getting married.

Again, thanks for the replies.

A study would mean a study of at least 4 hours a week, that is what most language schools offer. So part-time would be no problem.

It doesn't need to be (Thai) language, as long as the school and course are approved.

You should check with the consulate in Hull for your visas unless you are planning on getting an OA visa.

Since you are over 50 you can get a single entry non-immigrant O visa and then extend here. The same for the children if they have O visas as your dependents. The child'ss mother could possibly also be able to get a non-o once they have a visa. If she gets the O visa and starts school she could then extend the entry she gets for education purposes which would save her a visa run to a nearby embassy or consulate for a non immigrant ED visa.