New Iphone 5

devaram

I think these are accurate - DTAC seems to have a whole slew of discounts which I can't really figure out.

I assumed the service provider prices include VAT, which I think is true.

I didn't factor in the benefits of discounted plans - there are too many plans - but in the mid-range plans I think you might come out a bit ahead, on average, with a subsidized phone.

post-9615-0-34684300-1351851298_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these are accurate - DTAC seems to have a whole slew of discounts which I can't really figure out.

I didn't factor in the benefits of discounted plans - there are too many plans - but in the mid-range plans I think you might come out a bit ahead, on average, with a subsidized phone.

Good comparison chart!

Prices in Thailand always include VAT. The carrier prices include VAT, and the Apple online store Thailand price includes VAT. Interesting that the iPhone is pretty much the same price as in the USA or even a bit cheaper - last time I was in California I paid 9% VAT, not 5...

Looks like DTAC is doing it right, if you get the phone with a plan they give you a discount - even if it's just a small one.

@skippy sorry that doesn't make any sense... almost all Apple products sell at the same price from the online store as they do from authorized resellers, so there's definitely a dealer margin included. True/AIS are charging more than the fair price because they can. I didn't say they're making tons of money off of it - 1600 baht per phone is not the world. But they're skimming some off the top, just because why not... people will pay...

Prices in Thailand always include VAT. The carrier prices include VAT, and the Apple online store Thailand price includes VAT. Interesting that the iPhone is pretty much the same price as in the USA or even a bit cheaper - last time I was in California I paid 9% VAT, not 5...

Yes, state sales taxes vary quite a bit but I did want to add something, in MA it is 6.25% but there is an Apple store in Nashua, NH where there is no state sales tax - as you can imagine that store has one of the highest revenue per employee figures in the Apple retail world. If you order on-line in the U.S. you have to pay sales tax in the state where the unit is shipped to, but sometimes shipping is free.

I wonder reserved by who. I don't think you were able to reserve at true shops before release. Also if they per-booked didn't they have to pick them up at Paragon?

Honestly, I didn't spend a lot of time delving into the issue. I asked if they were for sale and was told they were reserved. I assume True/CP have a ton of high-value customers who have access to these units.

I wonder reserved by who. I don't think you were able to reserve at true shops before release. Also if they per-booked didn't they have to pick them up at Paragon?

Honestly, I didn't spend a lot of time delving into the issue. I asked if they were for sale and was told they were reserved. I assume True/CP have a ton of high-value customers who have access to these units.

I see, guess we aren't one of them lol

I see, guess we aren't one of them lol

dam_n straight. If I were a Product Manager I wouldn't be fast-tracking units to a low-life like me. I'd want the highest profile Thais to have these, showing them off, talking up True, generating buzz.

It's a simple thing. Companies will charge whatever the market will bear. It's called capitalism. Some people are willing to pay a premium to have one of the first of the new miracles. Up to them.

Good comparison chart!

Looks like DTAC is doing it right, if you get the phone with a plan they give you a discount - even if it's just a small one.

@skippy sorry that doesn't make any sense... almost all Apple products sell at the same price from the online store as they do from authorized resellers, so there's definitely a dealer margin included. True/AIS are charging more than the fair price because they can. I didn't say they're making tons of money off of it - 1600 baht per phone is not the world. But they're skimming some off the top, just because why not... people will pay...

Cheers.... I drift through Apple shops regularly in Thailand. I see iPads in sales, Mac books, iPods ..... But clearly one thing I never see are iPhones on sale, except maybe for a big launch.

It's a simple thing. Companies will charge whatever the market will bear. It's called capitalism. Some people are willing to pay a premium to have one of the first of the new miracles. Up to them.

Product packaging and pricing is bit more complicated than that - you have to consider cost/margin, competition, over-hang, channel conflict. How do you know "what the market will bear" before a product is introduced?

For subsidized phones I still think you'd come out ahead - save money - over the term of the contract. Of course you are committed to that promotion/plan /provider for 12 - 24 months.

For un-subsidized phones, the service provider does have to provide front-line sales, marketing, support and front-end warranty service and repair. These activities have incurred costs (sunk/ongoing) associated with them, which are presumably partially funded by the uplift in the un-subsidized product price.

By me. I reserved one before the release online. Paid 5k baht down. I sure hope to get one of these boxed units...

Product packaging and pricing is bit more complicated than that - you have to consider cost/margin, competition, over-hang, channel conflict. How do you know "what the market will bear" before a product is introduced?

For subsidized phones I still think you'd come out ahead - save money - over the term of the contract. Of course you are committed to that promotion/plan /provider for 12 - 24 months.

For un-subsidized phones, the service provider does have to provide front-line sales, marketing, support and front-end warranty service and repair. These activities have incurred costs (sunk/ongoing) associated with them, which are presumably partially funded by the uplift in the un-subsidized product price.

Good point about having to provide front-end service. That's actually a good reason to mark them up...

By me. I reserved one before the release online. Paid 5k baht down. I sure hope to get one of these boxed units...

I reserved one too and paid a deposit fee, but I had to choose to pick it up at Siam over this weekend, not a shop close to me.

So I decided just to order one from Apple because True Move didn't call me back about reserving an iPhone (Not surprised at all).

The Apple store has only sent me one email though saying 'the order is being processed.' No mention of a complete transaction. Is this normal? I buy a lot of things online and I'm used to receiving an email confirming the purchase. I bought it yesterday afternoon.

They were snapped up very quickly, I think all were booked in a few hours..... If you did not book online when it opened up, you will probably have to wait on Apple delivery schedule #2

Demand and supply will balance out in a few weeks as always

P.s. I got mine, if you have a 4s, there is not alot of difference except bigger screen. My old 4s was 16mb , too small for songs , pics, video's etc ( I play w iMovie now, so need alot more storage ). Have 64mb now

Edited by skippybangkok

I managed to get the iphone 5 on the first day launch from DTAC. Manage to pre-order on Dtac site before that. Was actually plan not to buy from DTAC because I only need to phone only without any package. They listed 28XXX baht. Apple Online Store (TH) is 26,XXX

On that first launch day around 7pm, DTAC (from Central Airport Plaza) called my wife and asked if we will want to take our pre-booked slot. After some persuasion/discussion, they allowed to buy the phone only at 27,XXX baht. Wife told them that she already is a DTAC iphone4S package user. Just need the iphone5. Will stay on her existing package.

They asked us to come before 8pm. Lucky was around Central Plaza. Got there in 45 mins. Practically no Q in front of just. Whole process took around 15-20 mins with all the form filling, phone checking, explanation. There are 2 freebies for 1st launch. 1 is Free coffee of your choice from Coffee World and another one is FM transmitter with 3.5mm plug into your iphone5 and use FM freq to transmit the audio to your car stereo.

Since the iphone 5 is for me and I am under Truemove. Manage to sneak in to Trueshop, exchange the current microsim to nanosim. The Customer support didnt said need to charge anything.

After couple days of usage, iOS6 did have some improvement ( I still on iOS5 on iphone4S before upgrade). Speed is definitely faster. More smooth. App Store is different. Map is still not that accurate and in Thai language for street name.

Miss out some JB tweak like Sparrow push.

The most annoying thing is to those app that havent fully compatible with iphone 5 larger screen. That app will have 2 black bar on top and bottom. This shift the keyboard position up a little bit. Make the typing more error prone. I miss the space bar a lot of times.. Still adjusting to this annoying thing.

PS: I actually did brought iphone 5 at Apple Store (TH), but the waiting time is too long. Sch to be deliver on 3 Dec - 11 Dec. That is 1 month of waiting... :o

Edited by mikewet88

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I preordered the iphone 5 from truemove on Firday, does anyone know how ,long it takes to arrive, they didnt know at truemove.

Thanks in advance

No one will know. Apple are non committal with regards to deliveries in terms of when and how much they deliver .... But, most likely not long

No it's not come off my card yet. Yeh maybe you are right, I'll wait until Monday to see if I receive an email. Would just be pretty annoying if I'm pushed back in the list for receiving a phone because of slow processing

I've ordered stuff from the Apple Store in the past that specified shipping 2 - 3 weeks out. They never charged my card until the point at which the order was being prepared for shipping. You will get an email advising of that when it happens, and then your card will be charged.

Boys and girls. Got my iPhone5 from True. I already had to return it for exchange because the battery or whatever inside the phone was freely moving. The phone makes a rattle when slightly shaken. Seems to be a common problem with iPhone 5. Google it, Youtube it you will find tons of info on that. So boys and girls, inspect your phones properly before showing it around like winning gladiator or you will look like a fool 1zgarz5.gifannoyed.gif . I've been there and was told by friends it might be some new innovation from Apple whistling.gif . Yeah right!!

Edited by Polanskiman
  • Like 2

Boys and girls. Got my iPhone5 from True. I already had to return it for exchange because the battery or whatever inside the phone was freely moving. The phone makes a rattle when slightly shaken. Seems to be a common problem with iPhone 5. Google it, Youtube it you will find tons of info on that. So boys and girls, inspect your phones properly before showing it around like winning gladiator or you will look like a fool 1zgarz5.gif annoyed.gif . I've been there and was told by friends it might be some new innovation from Apple whistling.gif . Yeah right!!

Its the power button rattling. All iphone 5's I have seen have it and those that don't have it will develop the rattle in a few weeks.

It used to effect some iphone 4s's but its a larger scale on the iphone 5. Apple US do not replace phones for that particular rattle easily.

Our house has 3 iPhone 5's 2 of which had the rattle from the onset. The third developed it after about 3 weeks.

Edited by negreanu

Boys and girls. Got my iPhone5 from True. I already had to return it for exchange because the battery or whatever inside the phone was freely moving. The phone makes a rattle when slightly shaken. Seems to be a common problem with iPhone 5. Google it, Youtube it you will find tons of info on that. So boys and girls, inspect your phones properly before showing it around like winning gladiator or you will look like a fool 1zgarz5.gif annoyed.gif . I've been there and was told by friends it might be some new innovation from Apple whistling.gif . Yeah right!!

Its the power button rattling. All iphone 5's I have seen have it and those that don't have it will develop the rattle in a few weeks.

It used to effect some iphone 4s's but its a larger scale on the iphone 5. Apple US do not replace phones for that particular rattle easily.

Our house has 3 iPhone 5's 2 of which had the rattle from the onset. The third developed it after about 3 weeks.

Cool.. 23 thou + and you have a rattle... and you all say these are well made excellent designed phones...jeeeze.

But then to be fair if you have young babies its actually a plus... keep it occupied if cryingbiggrin.png

Edited by thaicbr

They were snapped up very quickly, I think all were booked in a few hours..... If you did not book online when it opened up, you will probably have to wait on Apple delivery schedule #2

Demand and supply will balance out in a few weeks as always

P.s. I got mine, if you have a 4s, there is not alot of difference except bigger screen. My old 4s was 16mb , too small for songs , pics, video's etc ( I play w iMovie now, so need alot more storage ). Have 64mb now

Yeah I'll have to wait for whenever True gets more.... that's OK. I don't have a 4S, I have a 4, so the upgrade was a no-brainer. If I had a 4S I'd probably stick with it.

Will be interesting to see if there's a power button issue - I kind of doubt it as they're usually fast when it comes to fixing things and if this is a well known problem then I would expect them to have a fix by now. All phones coming out of the factory are already sold, meaning mine has not been built yet. Rattling power button does not sound like a very hard problem to fix. More glue? ;)

Asked at True store in Chiang Mai today about expected delivery date, totally clueless as expected.

• Like 1

Boys and girls. Got my iPhone5 from True. I already had to return it for exchange because the battery or whatever inside the phone was freely moving. The phone makes a rattle when slightly shaken. Seems to be a common problem with iPhone 5. Google it, Youtube it you will find tons of info on that. So boys and girls, inspect your phones properly before showing it around like a winning gladiator or you will look like a fool 1zgarz5.gif annoyed.gif . I've been there and was told by friends it might be some new innovation from Apple whistling.gif . Yeah right!!

No it is not the power button. It was some heavy part inside the phone which I am pretty sure is the battery. If you google it you will find loads of videos and websites talking about it. I got mine replaced without any discussion. They simply took the phone, shook it, and came back in less than 5 minutes with a brand new one.

Now I am starting to have another issue. The screen feels like is not properly sealed or fitted in the casing. When you tab on it, it clicks, like this:

All this is simply pathetic for a supposed high end product. Apple always claims their product to be on top of everyones in terms of quality but can't get their phones to get out of their production lines with proper QC control. I can understand some units may come out defective but it seems to be rather widespread with the iPhone 5.

I will change my unit again and hopefully this will be the last time or I will ask for a full refund.

Edited by Polanskiman