New Iphone 5

devaram

There are several iPhone 5 drop videos. Unless it come scratched when you open the box (shame on foxconn qc), it shouldn't be easy to scratch yourself (unless you wanted to!)

The aluminium used for the iPhone 5 is made out of soft aluminium alloy, namely 6000 series aluminium which is alloyed with magnesium and silicon (thank you wiki). The band of the iphone 4/4S was made out of stainless steel. The difference is obvious. Even if you don't want to scratch your phone on purpose, the iPhone 5 will get stratched very very easily. A small "bang" with a table edge, a coin or keys in your pocket, basically anything harder than the aluminium will immediatly show. The reason why this aluminium alloy was used is because it is easy to work with and the result is a highly polished effect on the edges. It is also lighter and helped apple to make the phone thinner. Without a case you will have bad surprises, sooner rather than later.

Edited by Polanskiman

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news: Battery issue seems resolved.

Bad news: I've got no WiFi. It seems that it has super weak WiFi reception in my house. The iPhone 4 has 4 bars, the computer has 5 bars, the iPhone 5 zero to one - it can sometimes see the WiFi, sometimes not.

Quality doesn't mean quantity, does it? This iPhone 5 thing is nothing but a joke.

Very much agreed!

Good news: Battery issue seems resolved.

Bad news: I've got no WiFi. It seems that it has super weak WiFi reception in my house. The iPhone 4 has 4 bars, the computer has 5 bars, the iPhone 5 zero to one - it can sometimes see the WiFi, sometimes not.

Quality doesn't mean quantity, does it? This iPhone 5 thing is nothing but a joke.

Certainly some quality issues.

I've friends who have no problems whatsoever though. Maybe they tried to crank out too many too quickly? The iPhone 5 is just really pushing the envelope on what is possible to manufacture, and these quality issues are testament to that. Others are probably not better (Google for "sgs3 wifi issues".... tons of hits all over...) ....but with Apple we expect perfection.

I have one of the first batch from True. No battery issues, no wifi issues, no scratches. I know at least four other people who have them and they haven't had any issues either (or scratches etc.).

The only thing that sucks is the current lack of a jailbreak.

I have one of the first batch from True. No battery issues, no wifi issues, no scratches. I know at least four other people who have them and they haven't had any issues either (or scratches etc.).

The only thing that sucks is the current lack of a jailbreak.

Well lucky you and those you know. Wish we all could say the same. I have the one from the very first batch. Question though: have you restored your new iphone 5 from a previous iphone backup? If yes was that backup from a jailbroken iphone?

Edited by Polanskiman

^No, set-up as a new phone. Restoring a phone for which no jailbreak currently exists (even if the new phone was jailbroken I would still not restore with a jailbroken backup from a diffrent model of phone) with a backup from a jailbroken phone is frankly asking for trouble. It's unsurprising you're having issues.

^No, set-up as a new phone. Restoring a phone for which no jailbreak currently exists (even if the new phone was jailbroken I would still not restore with a jailbroken backup from a diffrent model of phone) with a backup from a jailbroken phone is frankly asking for trouble. It's unsurprising you're having issues.

It has nothing to do with the fact that a jailbreak exist or not on the new iPhone 5 IOS6 or that it's from a different model. The restore process only restores personal data and some specific settings. My understanding is that the battery problem solely lies on the fact that the backup comes from a jailbroken phone where some settings might have been changed through some cydia apps installation. Anyways, the battery is probably what bothers me the least in comparison to the loose battery and the scratches out of the box as battery issues normally can be solved by software update. Also, others people have not made a restore with a jailbroken backup but still have some even more dramatic battery issues...

In any case, I am not going to spend 1 week transferring all my contact numbers, emails and settings by hand so to set up the phone as new. It defeats the purpose of the backup/restore process and most of all wastes my time.

It has nothing to do with the fact that a jailbreak exist or not on the new iPhone 5 IOS6 or that it's from a different model. The restore process only restores personal data and some specific settings. My understanding is that the battery problem solely lies on the fact that the backup comes from a jailbroken phone where some settings might have been changed through some cydia apps installation. Anyways, the battery is probably what bothers me the least in comparison to the loose battery and the scratches out of the box as battery issues normally can be solved by software update. Also, others people have not made a restore with a jailbroken backup but still have some even more dramatic battery issues...

In any case, I am not going to spend 1 week transferring all my contact numbers, emails and settings by hand so to set up the phone as new. It defeats the purpose of the backup/restore process and most of all wastes my time.

Use iCloud backup. Restore all my contact, emails, calendar, notes and setting

My backup was from a jailbroken phone. Cant complain too much I suppose. Setting up as new is a little less convenient but also no big deal as contacts, emails accounts, notes, and so on just come over from the computer. The only thing that takes time is downloading the latest ios, and installing it. I also lost my favorites list.

Edited by nikster

Use iCloud backup. Restore all my contact, emails, calendar, notes and setting

From an iPhone 3G? I just don't see how.

My iPad 3 is OK with iOS 6. I had some WiFi disconnects but by and large it works. Not updating my iPhone 4, thankyouverymuch.

I think Apple needs to hire a WiFi person who does nothing but makes sure than new released don't break the WiFi. It's been true with OS X and now also iOS that updated software introduce one problem with WiFi or another ... it's frustrating.

I get reception if I am standing right next to the router. Move away a few meters, and the signal is lost.

I went down to The Tokyo Apple Store in Ginza today, explained my problems with wifi after iOS 6, he ran a diagnostics on his mac, said my wifi was ok, but could be better and said he would exchange for a new iPad.

Fair enough, but the Bonus for me was, it had iOS 5.1.1 installed, so welcome back Google Maps and You Tube ! smile.png

Not bad service if you go to an Apple Store, didn't matter that I had bought the iPad in Thailand and had no documentation, I asked was the replacement a refurbished unit, he said no, its new.

I am not downloading iOS 6 on this one ! thumbsup.gif

My iPad 3 is OK with iOS 6. I had some WiFi disconnects but by and large it works. Not updating my iPhone 4, thankyouverymuch.

I think Apple needs to hire a WiFi person who does nothing but makes sure than new released don't break the WiFi. It's been true with OS X and now also iOS that updated software introduce one problem with WiFi or another ... it's frustrating.

I get reception if I am standing right next to the router. Move away a few meters, and the signal is lost.

I went down to The Tokyo Apple Store in Ginza today, explained my problems with wifi after iOS 6, he ran a diagnostics on his mac, said my wifi was ok, but could be better and said he would exchange for a new iPad.

Fair enough, but the Bonus for me was, it had iOS 5.1.1 installed, so welcome back Google Maps and You Tube ! smile.png

Not bad service if you go to an Apple Store, didn't matter that I had bought the iPad in Thailand and had no documentation, I asked was the replacement a refurbished unit, he said no, its new.

:)

Until we get an official Apple store over here we can only dream of service like this... sigh. It's the same in the US Apple stores I visited, they'll basically bend over backwards to fix whatever is your problem.

One day there'll be an Apple store Bangkok....

smile.png

Until we get an official Apple store over here we can only dream of service like this... sigh. It's the same in the US Apple stores I visited, they'll basically bend over backwards to fix whatever is your problem.

Hong Kong just got their second official Apple store....so jealous......

Wiki page says that plans are for Thailand to have 3 stores! (reference links to Swedish site)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Store#cite_note-69

I am really glad to have bought a grey market white 64gig iPhone (from HK) at MBK ages ago, and avoided the current Thailand circus....($100 premium well spent IMO)

my only current issue is a relatively short battery life (but this is also the issue with my Galaxy Note2)...

MORPHIE battery cases company, please hurry up!!.... (in the interim, I have Apple lightning power chargers everywhere (office, home office, backpack, bedroom, 2nd condo)

I am really glad to have bought a grey market white 64gig iPhone (from HK) at MBK ages ago, and avoided the current Thailand circus....($100 premium well spent IMO)

my only current issue is a relatively short battery life (but this is also the issue with my Galaxy Note2)...

MORPHIE battery cases company, please hurry up!!.... (in the interim, I have Apple lightning power chargers everywhere (office, home office, backpack, bedroom, 2nd condo)

Bathroom? Car? personal airplane? Should get one for those too.

smile.png

Hong Kong just got their second official Apple store....so jealous......

Wiki page says that plans are for Thailand to have 3 stores! (reference links to Swedish site)?

http://en.wikipedia....re#cite_note-69

I hope that's true - however, the "reference" is job postings for the Swedish Apple stores. Unless they plan to staff the Thai store with Swedes, that's pretty much worthless. I still hope it's true though. I would think at least one in Bangkok would make a lot of sense. It would obviously make money (all the Apple stores make lots of money)... and it would alleviate the problems with servicing in this country.

True service was pretty reasonable for my iPhone return but it still took an hour of me sitting there until my return was processed. True procedures for phone replacements are cumbersome. On the upside, the True staff is very friendly, professional and good looking.

Just got a call from True, picking up my replacement iP5 today. One week - not bad, True!
That good service fro True.Just found out my Black Iphone5 got a minor scratch on the right corner.

UgrwTl.jpg

Saw it when I put ArmorSuit Military Sheild Full Body. Link: http://www.armorsuit...-protector.html

Anyone interest on this shield? I got 1 spare. PM me.

Edited by mikewet88

^^ very interesting. Well guess who does not have a new iPhone 5 yet? And guess why?

After the sales lady was pretty much done with the setup, I was handed the new unit with protective film still on, and proceeded to do a close-up inspection. The Phone had two small dents just like the one in your picture there, one on the front (left side middle) and one on the back. In addition, one of the rounded corners had some weird stuff on the outside. Now admittedly all of these were only visible when looking very, very closely. But this is a new phone, and the one I had before - where the WiFi didn't work - actually had a perfect case without blemishes. So I returned it, they were again very friendly, and very sorry, and a new one is coming.

If it had just been one scratch I'd probably have kept it. Just to save the hassle, and let's face if after I've used the phone for a month it will have these dings anyway. But then I thought, well, if I turn around now and sell the phone to the dealer next door, those blemishes will significantly reduce the value of the phone. So why should I accept it? Also it's a scratch - I can only claim this at the time of sale. Any time after and it's my fault.

Let's hope 3rd time's the charm. I consider it market research - at this point the conclusion is, yes, there are some serious production issues with the iPhone 5.

And to put it all in perspective, as I was waiting in line I got an email from my mom that a mutual acquaintance has passed away. So I really couldn't get too upset about it - after all, it's just a dam_n thing, and nobody has died.

Just got a confirmation email from the Apple Store that my iPhone 5 has been shipped and will be delivered by the 27th. Pretty happy I got it from Apple instead of True now, saved a few baht in the end and didn't have to wait too much longer.

Edited by ha55ha

Just got a confirmation email from the Apple Store that my iPhone 5 has been shipped and will be delivered by the 27th. Pretty happy I got it from Apple instead of True now, saved a few baht in the end and didn't have to wait too much longer.

That is at least 1.5 weeks faster than orignal date?

Just got a call from True, picking up my replacement iP5 today. One week - not bad, True!
That good service fro True.Just found out my Black Iphone5 got a minor scratch on the right corner.

UgrwTl.jpg

Saw it when I put ArmorSuit Military Sheild Full Body. Link: http://www.armorsuit...-protector.html

Anyone interest on this shield? I got 1 spare. PM me.

^^ very interesting. Well guess who does not have a new iPhone 5 yet? And guess why?

After the sales lady was pretty much done with the setup, I was handed the new unit with protective film still on, and proceeded to do a close-up inspection. The Phone had two small dents just like the one in your picture there, one on the front (left side middle) and one on the back. In addition, one of the rounded corners had some weird stuff on the outside. Now admittedly all of these were only visible when looking very, very closely. But this is a new phone, and the one I had before - where the WiFi didn't work - actually had a perfect case without blemishes. So I returned it, they were again very friendly, and very sorry, and a new one is coming.

If it had just been one scratch I'd probably have kept it. Just to save the hassle, and let's face if after I've used the phone for a month it will have these dings anyway. But then I thought, well, if I turn around now and sell the phone to the dealer next door, those blemishes will significantly reduce the value of the phone. So why should I accept it? Also it's a scratch - I can only claim this at the time of sale. Any time after and it's my fault.

Let's hope 3rd time's the charm. I consider it market research - at this point the conclusion is, yes, there are some serious production issues with the iPhone 5.

And to put it all in perspective, as I was waiting in line I got an email from my mom that a mutual acquaintance has passed away. So I really couldn't get too upset about it - after all, it's just a dam_n thing, and nobody has died.

And yet two other lucky folks! I still haven't been contacted by True for the replacement. They have already denied me a reimbursement. Anyways, better laugh of this than cry. It's simply pathetic.

Sorry for your loss Nikster.

I imagine returns will be easier too. Just send it back. At True, you have to wait for a service rep, let them do whatever they do, blah blah, they're friendly but you end up spending an hour at the True shop... for Singapore you can probably just put it in a box and send it back.

Got a call from True today. They said that I could come to exchange my phone, which I did. They only changed the phone, not the box. I am selling it now because I want the white one. It's brand new. Protective plastic on screen and back haven't been peeled away. The cable, charger and earplugs have never been used and still in their original wrapping. Interested? drop me a PM. I'll give you the details and price.

Got a call from True today. They said that I could come to exchange my phone, which I did. They only changed the phone, not the box. I am selling it now because I want the white one. It's brand new. Protective plastic on screen and back haven't been peeled away. The cable, charger and earplugs have never been used and still in their original wrapping. Interested? drop me a PM. I'll give you the details and price.

Just give your price here, unless you are trying to sell at black market prices.

how much?