Chiang Mai - Where To Rent?

davofromoz

We are looking at renting a nice place probably over 50000 baht , we don't want areas affected by floods or other issues. We don't want any seedy or dangerous areas and it must be in an area with very good Internet access.

Can anyone point us in right direction.

Thanks

Davo

For that budget you can look at a few moo baan that has very nice houses and fit your requirements

Any of the Siwalee / Lanna Pinery / Home in Park have some grand house estates at that price range.

I stayed at both Lanna Pinery and Home in Park location is great and well kept and estate is full of foreigners who are welcoming.

• Like 2

I would think the same plus there's no flood in that area

Davo

For that budget you can look at a few moo baan that has very nice houses and fit your requirements

Any of the Siwalee / Lanna Pinery / Home in Park have some grand house estates at that price range.

I stayed at both Lanna Pinery and Home in Park location is great and well kept and estate is full of foreigners who are welcoming.

Hi and welcome to CM

50000 sounds allot if you don't need a villa with pool or any specials, contact me if you like and I can show you some nice houses in very secure areas (moobans).

You can look thru my website but we have also other properties that we are not showing on the web as the owners don’t want to be shown. http://www.buyrentchiangmai.com so a contact is the best way so we can help you.

Interesting great houses but no body talks about the internet connection.

Chiang Mai has several providers. It depends on how close you sre to the tower.

They all have there off times some more than others. I kmow several people have two one as a back up. Be sure before you rent to check the internet and maybe talk to some neighobers.

I have a few new questions now. With the hot weather dosent everyone need a pool? I assume most moobaans have pools.

If we get a moobaan and so we need a car. How much would we pay for a good quality car with air conditioning about 4 yrs old?

HOw much is yearly registration?

I assume 3bb is an Internet provider. I need it for business for video feed over Skype as this is a big part of my business so speed is very important.

Thanks for offer ek but I won't be there until November to set things up and won't be moving in until after Christmas.

If you don't want to deal with a car, you could get an exceptional condo rental for that price, probably much less in good buildings like Rim Ping condo and Flora condo. The price would probably be more like 40,000 baht/month, giving you ample funds to find a driver with a good quality car that you could hire for the times you want to go out of the range of songthaews, tuk-tuks, walking and taxis. These buildings have nice pools, too. Maybe exercise facilities, too. Don't know for sure about that.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Davo

Hi, I live in Chiangmai but am looking to move (though with a budget nearer 30/35 than 50k). Can you give me a rough pointer as to where these three moobans are.

Heya

These moobann are along hang dong...from the airport plaza head off towards big c and Tesco and do a right turn after the night safari turn

At the budget of 30/35k there are some very nice properties there

In home in park they have a nice restauant that does home deliveries as well

• Like 1

I don't believe there are condos with that many rooms Davo as most condo in Chiang Mai are one bedroomers

Better to stick to a house

Nope, not true at all. There are some large condo units, especially in Rim Ping and Flora. Heck, even in my much more modest building people have bought side-by-side units, knocked out walls between the units and refurbished them into large, large units. Some ramble thru the space that used to be 4 or 5 side-by-side units. In some buildings, owners have bought units above and below and turned them into a multi-story condo. There's some interesting condo units in this town and the OP will have a good selection with that budget.

Many may be listed for sale, not rent, but an owner might be open to rental if he's having difficulty selling the unit.

• Like 2

I don't believe there are condos with that many rooms Davo as most condo in Chiang Mai are one bedroomers

Better to stick to a house

Nope, not true at all. There are some large condo units, especially in Rim Ping and Flora. Heck, even in my much more modest building people have bought side-by-side units, knocked out walls between the units and refurbished them into large, large units. Some ramble thru the space that used to be 4 or 5 side-by-side units. In some buildings, owners have bought units above and below and turned them into a multi-story condo. There's some interesting condo units in this town and the OP will have a good selection with that budget.

Many may be listed for sale, not rent, but an owner might be open to rental if he's having difficulty selling the unit.

Thanks Nancyl I will not cross them off my list yet, a large condo in town will mean I dont have to buy a car as they are the same price as in Australia which isn't good since your cost of living is much lower.

G'day Davo

I am assuming from your requirements and rooms it seems you have a big family and have kids

If this is your first trip to Chiang Mai and Thailand I suggest you rent a service apartment and have a look around before deciding on where to stay ; I recommend the Studio99 & Frangipani Service Apartment gauging from your house budget as kids friendly places

If you are a seasoned Thai stayer moving to a new province, CM has lots to offer for kids and family.

The only reason why I will not recommend staying in town is for the kids and moving around.

Rimping Condo is very well known by the locals and while this makes it easy for you to get them on tuk tuk or songteaw who all know the place , if u have a big family having you own car allows you to plan for many offroad or nearby trips without paying the taxi drivers insane rates , not to mention all the trips to the malls and supermarkets

If this is a long term stay it adds up and I still would recommend renting a car rather than relying on transport or buying one with a scooter or two for short trips

The other advantage of staying in a moo baan if u have kids , is the relative light traffic mean you can let them loose on the moo baan lanes on their bikes & skate boards etc ...you will never do that outside rimping condo as the traffic flow there is heavy.

The other advantage is the amount of house and buddies the children will pick up and I have seen babysitting in groups which gives the parents a much needed rotation of rest or date nights if u find the right neighbors with the correct age group.

Thanks lawrencechee, our kids are 16-18 so no problem . I also need a room I think so we can hire a maid to clean and cook.

We will be staying long term but not permanent, I think.

I believe a car would be useful and might have to bargain a bit to get a car for under 300000 bht tats only 5 yrs or less

We have been to Phuket, Bangkok and koh Samui many times but i believe chiang mai is cheaper and safer to settle at.

thanks for the tips.

I currently reside in Pattaya and the idea of moving to live in CM is growing on me for sure.

Does it rain much there?

Is there a lot of traffic in some areas?

I believe there are some nice restaurants/cafes there?

How about the countryside? is it just a short drive from the centre?

And how about schools? I have a 3 year old.

What are the local expats generally like?

Is it a good city in which to raise children?

Is it generally quite cheap to live there? Say compared to BKK and Pattaya?

Thanks for any responses.

Heya

These moobann are along hang dong...from the airport plaza head off towards big c and Tesco and do a right turn after the night safari turn

At the budget of 30/35k there are some very nice properties there

In home in park they have a nice restauant that does home deliveries as well

Went to look in Lanna Pinery - saw no likely rental. Haven't yet looked in Home in Park. Any pointers? I've also posted my own topic/query today on the cnx forum.

• 3 weeks later...

I currently reside in Pattaya and the idea of moving to live in CM is growing on me for sure.

Does it rain much there?

Thanks for any responses.

Does it rain much there?

They call it rain season, in my country it rains much more, I think its ok and refreshing.

Like in all bigger cities but still ok thought

Don’t know, we eat at home, the pest place for me

5 – 10 min and you out

I think too many schools for CM, sure you find a place

8 out if 10 are ok tongue.png

I have a daughter, yes it is

Yes much cheaper