Tile Roof Leaking - Help

Seismic

After the recent heavy winds and now with the arrival of heavy rain It seems that my roof is no longer watertight. Some of the tiles have shifted enough that we have a few leaks that, with the torrential rain are making life a misery for the Wife.

Does anyone know of (or can recommend personally) a good builder or roofing contractor in eastern bangkok / samut prakan that could fix the problem.

While i realise that this is a constant problem with the way the modern roofs are built, ie laid over metal frames that constantly expand/contract throughout the year, There must be someone who can point me in the right direction.

regards

While i realise that this is a constant problem with the way the modern roofs are built, ie laid over metal frames that constantly expand/contract throughout the year..

there is no way that expansion and contraction is more than the overlapping distance of the roof tiles. there might be a problem during heavy rain and high winds if the gradient of the roof is less than 25º.

Soundman, gutter and pipes are fine, problem is water leaking in between tiles in the centre part of the roof.

Naam, I was referring to gradual movement over a period of months or years, Our roof has been fine for 4 years, leaks only started in the last few weeks. No obvious damage to tiles so I am assuming some slight movement has occurred.

I was hoping for an actual recommendation but it seems google is a little better than thaivisa on that.

Soundman, gutter and pipes are fine, problem is water leaking in between tiles in the centre part of the roof.

Naam, I was referring to gradual movement over a period of months or years, Our roof has been fine for 4 years, leaks only started in the last few weeks. No obvious damage to tiles so I am assuming some slight movement has occurred.

I was hoping for an actual recommendation but it seems google is a little better than thaivisa on that.

what about climbing in the attic and check instead of assuming or googling? a sunny day will do the trick and reveal any gaps... the attic will be hot though.

While i realise that this is a constant problem with the way the modern roofs are built, ie laid over metal frames that constantly expand/contract throughout the year..

there is no way that expansion and contraction is more than the overlapping distance of the roof tiles. there might be a problem during heavy rain and high winds if the gradient of the roof is less than 25º.

Most of problems are in tradition areas like where two side of the rooftop comes together or the roof and the wall

Here they don't use flashing and cover the transition with cement and it cracks and leak eventually

sent from-would like to know

CMBE - thanks I will check that when I get home.

Naam - I would check the roof myself but as I am currently in brazil its a little difficult. However thanks for your excellent recommendations of local companies who can do the job.

regards

Surely your wife has a network of local contacts she can ask for a local tradesman recommendation. Had a similar problem recently with a carport roof. Waited until it rained again, quick phone call to some local handyman who is on site in ten minutes, assesses the problem and returns the next day with some bits and pieces, half hour and the job is done. Been some pretty heavy rain the past week but no new leaks. Had some leaky spots a couple of years ago in the kitchen roof, same fix. If they don't get it right the first time then if they're local they will be back to make sure everything is ok.

Naam - I would check the roof myself but as I am currently in brazil its a little difficult. However thanks for your excellent recommendations of local companies who can do the job.

regards

patience my friend! i live only 150km from the site where you need recommendations for local roofers that's why i know all of the 53,869 potential roofers by heart. the list i am going to submit is presently compiled by one of my assistants and two secretaries. give me another day or two to complete that list ermm.gif

Surely your wife has a network of local contacts she can ask for a local tradesman recommendation. Had a similar problem recently with a carport roof. Waited until it rained again, quick phone call to some local handyman who is on site in ten minutes, assesses the problem and returns the next day with some bits and pieces, half hour and the job is done. Been some pretty heavy rain the past week but no new leaks. Had some leaky spots a couple of years ago in the kitchen roof, same fix. If they don't get it right the first time then if they're local they will be back to make sure everything is ok.

i asked my wife about her network of local contacts and she replied "have you acquired again some illegal bottles of Port behind my back and beyond your allowed allocation? or do you think the local networks speak any language i master?"

you just assume that Seismic has a [Thai] wife with a network of local contacts although he didn't indicate anything like that.

peace! wink.png

The roof leaks because they didn,t do it right the first time. I wish I had such a small problem as your OP suggests. My Roofers bah.gif didn,t line up both sides of House Tiles, ergo the ridge caps where hacked with Pliers to sort of make them fit, then bogged with normal Cement. Picture this. beautiful Lanna Style 2 storey with grey Cement Blobs with unaligned Ridges on a cream Tiled Roof. Mai Mee Pen Ha ringing in your ear,s and thinking why am I paying for an Interpreter. My head ache is coming back.

The roof leaks because they didn,t do it right the first time. I wish I had such a small problem as your OP suggests. My Roofers bah.gif didn,t line up both sides of House Tiles, ergo the ridge caps where hacked with Pliers to sort of make them fit, then bogged with normal Cement. Picture this. beautiful Lanna Style 2 storey with grey Cement Blobs with unaligned Ridges on a cream Tiled Roof. Mai Mee Pen Ha ringing in your ear,s and thinking why am I paying for an Interpreter. My head ache is coming back.

i didn't like the mortar showing below the tiles which cover the ridges. had it stained same colour as the tiles. now more than 6 years and still looking ok.

We had the same problem with water getting between the tiles during very heavy rain. Our solution which worked was to silicone the gaps. Maybe not the usual method however it worked. All we needed was a few tubes of clear silicone and a silicone gun. No more water and you cannot see anything.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the same problem with water getting between the tiles during very heavy rain. Our solution which worked was to silicone the gaps. Maybe not the usual method however it worked. All we needed was a few tubes of clear silicone and a silicone gun. No more water and you cannot see anything.

I tried Silicone on the Kitchen roof extension, and the carport, in both cases the leak just seemed to mave a bit. However as I was passing through the UK recently I bought a couple of cans of Spray on roof leak stopper. Thompson emergency instant repair and Rescue 911 instant leak sealer. Both seemed to do the job quite well, no more leaks in the kitchen or master bedroom so far.

i got the silicone gun onto our roof, as water was coming in through / around some of the cement, where the tiles met the structure

the silicone stopped most of it, but was still getting a bit of water.... so went to hardware shop, and bought some waterproofing paint for roofs.... slapped that all over the suspect area, and now no water coming in.......

we still have the other problem where the builder put too slight a slope onto the gutter, and the water will not run away fast enough in very heavy rain, and overflows the guttering and runs down the back wall

i will be up there 2moro tho with silicone gun and sealing in the gap between gutter and back wall..... i just hope the extension roof will hold my weight..... i think it was designed to support thai builders, but tubby house owners may be pushing it