Crackdown On Beer Gardens

george

:o

This is absolute NONSENSE :D

How on earth are they going to implement this without thousands more Thai's loosing their jobs.

As previously stated if this kind of miissmanagement of the country's tourist trade continues there won't be one :D

Many of those lovely Beer Girls will end up as Bar Girls once they loose their jobs :D

When will they get a grip and do something USEFUL

Why is it guys like you are only concerned about losing your girls. I wager not one of you would be in Thailand if not for the cheap sex and news laws like this only threatens your farang lifestyles.

I completely agree with these news proposals and hope the Thai government implements them very soon. I heard no outcry when they cracked down on tobaco advertising so whats the difference? Whats up guys...feel threatened? They are not proposing a ban on drinking, only advertising. As they do in most western countries.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MrMarty, why dont you go and do something usefull like interview the crowds of people at lets say...

If you do not enjoy the eye candy of these lovelies while on the slops, stay home with wifey or go to silom soi 4.

While alcohol can be addictive, it is not nearly as so as tobacco. While alcohol can cause detrimental effects to other parties, it is not nearly so as secondhand smoke that other individuals have no choice but to breath.

What's wrong with Silom Soi 4???

They serve alcohol all night, the club are open until 2AM and they do serve alcohol all night too, people are friendly and don't try to get you pissed (doesn't mean they don't want your money though...) there is always an after at the corner of the street where more drink and music is waiting for you !!!

The whole problem, in my opinion, lies in the immense price difference between whiskey and beer in Thailand.

Most of my friends in Thailand prefer beer to whiskey, but will drink whiskey because it's cheaper... and they drink whiskey at the same rate I drink beer!

Besides all these laws are pointless... If you don't pay the policy forcce enought to actially arrenst people without needing to resort to bribary, all this constant stream of new legislation is just providing new sources of "income" for the police.

He said "and asking the Excise Department to stop issuing licences for beer gardens"

If they had any sense and any say it would be a good idea to tll them to...well the second word is "off"

Are the guys who think up these ideas teetotal or perhaps they prefer other means of relaxation..........Yabba dabba do........Early closing etc etc amazes me........I get the impression Thailand is trying to impress the outside worls and care not a jot about the people who actually live here.

To me... it's let put up a glossy front for our neighbours looking on.........If this is about retaining Thai culture or protecting young peiple from the big bad world then they should start by turning back the clock and getting rid of Burger King, McDonald etc, why not ban mobile phones? then they could ban TV's and blindfold the entire population..............of course they are not going to do anything like that and closing a few beer garden wont do didly about protecting the young from advertisements.............the young know already and they want want want like the KIDS from Europe, the USA and all points east...........guys are a bunch of comedians and are dreaming if they think this will cut down on road accidents..........they should try advertising in Beer Gardens "Dont drink and Drive" and run campaigns to ensure those who get caught doing so pay the price........pay there police force a decent salary and give them proper vehichles to police the highways and roads to the extent (Like the UK) where you dare not drink and drive.

Reading this junk is almost as good as watching Mr Bean do his stuff

MrMarty, why dont you go and do something usefull like interview the crowds of people at lets say...

If you do not enjoy the eye candy of these lovelies while on the slops, stay home with wifey or go to silom soi 4.

While alcohol can be addictive, it is not nearly as so as tobacco. While alcohol can cause detrimental effects to other parties, it is not nearly so as secondhand smoke that other individuals have no choice but to breath.

They serve alcohol all night, the club are open until 2AM and they do serve alcohol all night too, people are friendly and don't try to get you pissed (doesn't mean they don't want your money though...) there is always an after at the corner of the street where more drink and music is waiting for you !!!

1am now :D

1am now :D

not DJ station... :D and I believe the after off Silom are still open and running... until 6AM... there is a funny one on a top floor with only 4 tables and a karaoke...

so that's why ultimately nobody should worry for the Thai and those who bother getting to know them... Of course as pointed out ealier, the "farang life style of booze and boobs" is under threats....

Wake up call guy, The UK is relaxing its drinking time! You can come back home !!!

Arf' Arf'

~R

what makes me chuckle is the people in government who are the biggest crooks in thailand , telling the underlings how they must lead thier lives.

no smoking , no sex, no drinking, less passion.

i think the're called drones

a bit like old china

Can you imagine it: bars covering their booze displays with a blanket and a small A4 sign sayin "Beer sold here", the Johnnie Walker Classic golf tournament becoming the Hale's Blue Boy Open, people wearing Everton or Liverpool football shirts arrested on the spot and all alcohol brand websites will be added to the 800,000 already allegedly blacklisted in this country.

They do it with ciggies - Try and find a 7/11 with ciggies on display. All they have is a sign saying "we sell ciggarettes" which to me is pointless. Seems to me, all they are doing is hiding the brands on sale rather than the fact that they sell ciggarettes.

I think the angel is a little more subtle than that.

Our beer gardens will become coffee shops and you’ll be able to hire hubbly bubbly pipes (20 baht an hour), placing what ever whacky sh*te is your choice within and getting a different kind of high. Once elevated to your required level of chemical intoxication you can then visit the dens of iniquity that the outside world believe Bangkok is so famous for, to play the lottery of picking your female partner for the evening, however you will be making your choice by picking a beautiful set of eyes (maybe) and a pair of high heals protruding from the bottom of a black blanket.

The deep south will be appeased and we will live with peace and harmony in our hearts, as do all the other countries in the would who choose to hide their women, smoke hubbly bubbly pipes and condemn alcohol……

I once heard that Singapore was a nanny state……interesting

Richard, can I call you Dick ? Well Dick, beer gardens are open air areas for guzzling litres of beer and looking at the cute girls in Heini outfits. Also beer bars are usually a lot of the time temporary and setup outside with portable chairs and tables.

For example the beer garden at World Trade is setup late afternoon early evening each day and put away at close. It also only operates during the dry season.

Regular bars are regular bars, karaoke are inside etc.

Edited by N&M

What is the definition of a "Beer Garden" in Thailand?

How is it different from a Kareoke bar, or a regular bar?

I think beer gardens is something in Pattaya, Phuket, or Bangkok. The rest of the country would probably be uneffected.

Not so. Chiang Mai, Khorat, Udon, Ubon, Rayong, Petchabun and many other cities and towns throughout Thailand have beer gardens. The Thai people enjoy their beer gardens.

I am curious about what the definition of a "beer garden" is as well. Do they only serve beer? Or do they serve other alcohol? Is food available? How are they different from an outside restaurant where both food and alcohol are served?

I am afraid this is one of those problems that really needs firm clarification. There must be a legal definition before you can outlaw something--in most places!

Throughout the history of what is laughingly called "civilization", the biggest killers have been:

a. War (especially deaths of civilians)

b. Plagues such as the Black Death

c. Abuse of alcohol

h. Cigarette smoking

I don't know what d through g are.

Alcohol is surely the most expensive addiction in the world. It kills. It never gives life. Prime ministerial names aside, "intoxicate" means "to poison."

Throughout the history of what is laughingly called "civilization", the biggest killers have been:

c. Abuse of alcohol

h. Cigarette smoking

Alcohol is surely the most expensive addiction in the world. It kills. It never gives life. Prime ministerial names aside, "intoxicate" means "to poison."

Religion is the biggest killer I'm afraid all other reasons are dwarfed in comparison.

c. Abuse of alcohol

h. Cigarette smoking

What do you mean "(alcohol) never gives life"? I would guess a high proportion of conceptions worldwide follow a good night out!

Why not tax the alcohol more to pay for the random breath test machines for alcohol and drugs ie speed. Some deterant systems do work, its better to come up with an idea or look at sytems that work in other parts of the world then knock the s**t out of a proposal. Send the committee overseas to see how other systems work. Kneejerk reactions takes away rather then give back to a community. :o

Send the committee overseas to see how other systems work.
Don’t worry, Chris, they will surely go on a junket, or two, ore three, or…

Junkets are a favourite pastime of politicians in general (not only the Thai variety)

-----------------

Maestro

Yea, i think it's a great idea as anyone who has been here a while should agree that the worse social plobrem that LOS has is alcohol abuse, especially with the 'masses' where alcohol is too cheap and available everywhere. what the powers should be cracking down on is the corner whiskey shop that you find in any moo ban all over the country. i've been here only 7 yrs, but have seen too many lives and families ruined because of alcohol abuse.

But, having said that....maybe the best way to tackle the plobrem is to TAX THE hel_l OUT OF BEER AND WHISKEY and wage war against the moonshiners, like 'HE' did against the drug plobrem......

my 2 bhatt.....

jd

It was interesting to see one of the earlier posters recognising the distinction between beer girls and bar girls, which seems lost on many farangs. During my own short spell in a Thai university I was interested to see that some of my male Thai colleagues, who would wish to avoid any association with the kind of bar girls who frequent the 'lo-so' Western-oriented bars, were quite happy to try to talk to beer girls in places like Khon Kaen's Kosa beer garden.

In establishments of this kind one will be greeted by a number of girls each promoting a different beer and trying to get you to pick their brand. 'Sao BG', as exemplified in the popular song Sao Beer Chang, is - as far as I can see - a very different creature from 'pooying bar'. Most seem to be students in the 18-21 age group just doing the job for a couple of years before moving to something else. I have never witnessed one overtly trying to sell anything more, but I have seen many Thai males trying to chat them up and I have heard many stories about sugar daddies. Sao BG strikes me as an interesting cultural phenomenon that rarely features in farang newsgroups and isn't properly understood by us. I admit to not being wholly sure of my ground on this question and would be interested in other people's impressions.

Yeah, just like the drug problem, that'd work fine, I'd be happy with that approach.

Perhaps we can look forward to some 'workshops' at all the beer gardens around town on how to tackle beer goggles and maybe it could be broadcast 24/7 for 5 days or so on UBC.

I am curious about what the definition of a "beer garden" is as well. Do they only serve beer? Or do they serve other alcohol? Is food available? How are they different from an outside restaurant where both food and alcohol are served?

I am afraid this is one of those problems that really needs firm clarification. There must be a legal definition before you can outlaw something--in most places!

Beers Gardens, UK definition, means you can consume alchohol and have the family with you whereas children are not allowed in bars. It is a term only.

Why not tax the alcohol more to pay for the random breath test machines for alcohol and drugs ie speed. Some deterant systems do work, its better to come up with an idea or look at sytems that work in other parts of the world then knock the s**t out of a proposal. Send the committee overseas to see how other systems work. Kneejerk reactions takes away rather then give back to a community. :D

Using additional tax to help stop drunken driving is a good idea.

Tax on spirits should be such that it would cost 50% to 100% more to get drunk than on beer or wine.

However, going back to the original point about the marketing of beer it would be better to allow unlimited advertising of achohol FREE beer which would attract little or no tax. Promote those products agressively and people will buy it because many drink for appearances sake and are often those who get drunk easily. Now how about alchohol free whisky? :o:D

Perhaps we can look forward to some 'workshops' at all the beer gardens around town on how to tackle beer goggles
Pray tell, what has tackling beer goggles got to with it?

If a boozer succumbing to the beer goggles effect does not learn from his experience it is silly to throw taxpayers’ money at him for a workshop.

------------

Maestro

I tend to anticipate the same folks will suggest the Burkha as a solution for the AIDS epidemic. :o

Actually, I meant that as a joke - but it might come true in a different way. After all, haven't the "three" provinces of unrest recently become "four" provinces of unrest?

Oh yes, you'll be seeing more headscarfs and burkhas in Bangkok soon.

kenk3z

I am a Thai lady and I voted for this government last time, and I have a farrang boyfriend,together we own 2 bars, now I worry that my life is going to return to what is was before. I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR THIS GOVERNMENT AGAIN.

Wanvisa

Why is it guys like you are only concerned about losing your girls. I wager not one of you would be in Thailand if not for the cheap sex and news laws like this only threatens your farang lifestyles.

I completely agree with these news proposals and hope the Thai government implements them very soon. I heard no outcry when they cracked down on tobaco advertising so whats the difference? Whats up guys...feel threatened? They are not proposing a ban on drinking, only advertising. As they do in most western countries.

I remember a "new wave" in some of the European countries about 10 years ago, "the health brigade".

Bars and other venues were opened in these countries where anyone could order a "load" of pure oxygen and rRelax with a magazine or looking TV while breathing "pure oxygen" trough an inhalator like in a hospital.

The most strange of all was that these bars had a lot of customers.

Maybe it's the answer for the beer bars in Thailand.

Switch to pure oxygen, buy a bulk of inhalators from Bumlamung hospital, and have some (sexy) girls promoting the healthy comsumption of oxygen.

Coalminer