What Happens To Katoeys When They Get Older

candid

So, I wonder, where do they all go? What happens to them when their looks fade to such a point that they leave the tourist towns and go ---where?

So you think they are only like that for the sake of the tourists?

If you read the original post, you will se that I said that many Katoeys work in banks, lawyers offices etc. My point was that they are not only for tourists to gawk at. So why do you come out with such a silly statement, or did you not read the OP?

I don't need to know what mental disorders are. I asked what you meant by writing, "There are approximately 300,000 ladyboys in thailand. There are going to be a a lot more in urban areas than rural areas, which could be said about all mental disorders." What did you mean to imply by writing "which could be said about all mental disorders?" Not wiki, you.

More mental disorder in rural areas than urban.Do you teach kindergarten by any chance?wink.png

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

I don't need to know what mental disorders are. I asked what you meant by writing, "There are approximately 300,000 ladyboys in thailand. There are going to be a a lot more in urban areas than rural areas, which could be said about all mental disorders." What did you mean to imply by writing "which could be said about all mental disorders?" Not wiki, you.

More mental disorder in rural areas than urban.Do you teach kindergarten by any chance?wink.png

Since when was any part of this thread about mental disorders in rural vs urban areas? Don't slam me! You are the one who was calling lady boys mentally disordered.

The question is why you felt the need to introduce the term "mental disorder" and pointing it towards all katoeys... I have seen and met more drunken (s)expats looking for barfights to which I would attribute that mental condition than I have seen and met ladyboys...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, I wonder, where do they all go? What happens to them when their looks fade to such a point that they leave the tourist towns and go ---where?

If you read the original post, you will se that I said that many Katoeys work in banks, lawyers offices etc. My point was that they are not only for tourists to gawk at. So why do you come out with such a silly statement, or did you not read the OP?

OP, you seem to like attacking people who have taken the time to reply to this ignorant thread topic.

Can't you see it's a ridiculous question.

Ladyboys are people.

Question why YOU haven't seen older ladymen in 8 years.

Spend more time out of Pattaya beach at night and entertainment areas such as Nana.

20 percent is far too high.

There are approximately 300,000 ladyboys in thailand. There are going to be a a lot more in urban areas than rural areas, which could be said about all mental disorders.

Fortunately, there are lots of activities in the medical field to de-classify gender disorder from being a mental disorder to being a "normal" medical disorder of the body / the hormones. While IDC-10 still uses that classification, some health organisation (I think UK NHS was one of the first) have already changed that. Even further, the highest German court has decided that transgender people are allowed to have the gender changed in their papers even without a full sex-change operation.

I know that it will still take years to come in order to change the thinking of people, but at least the legal and medical side seems to make progress towards not seing transgender people being mentally ill...

Interesting post.

Strange how many people feel that saying someone has a mental disorder is implying that they are somehow inferior - of course not it means they sick.

Some say that 50% of Americans, for example, suffer from mental health issues.

http://www.usatoday....woes/50250702/1

IDC-10 and DCM and others seem to change their opinion on what is and what is not a disease or mental disorder.

Alcoholism, for example was not then it was a disease, then a mental disorder, then ...Now it is a disease again.

Homosexuality was considered a disease, or disorder up until 1980 or so I think.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

Neeranam:

You try to sneak away from what you clearly wrote: "There are going to be a a lot more (katoeys) in urban areas than rural areas, which could be said about all mental disorders." You clearly imply that for you, katoey equals mental disorder, which is not anymore todays medical view. Of course there can be mental issues, but these are only a secondary problem and definitely not the main issue.

OP, you seem to like attacking people who have taken the time to reply to this ignorant thread topic.

Can't you see it's a ridiculous question.

Ladyboys are people.

Question why YOU haven't seen older ladymen in 8 years.

Spend more time out of Pattaya beach at night and entertainment areas such as Nana.

Now you definitely are trolling. I have spent little time in Nana or Pattaya Beach, but have lived in Isaan and Central Thailand for more than 6 years. You call my topic ignorant? I must confess to be ignorant of the topic, or I would not have asked it. I see nowhere in my original post where I attacked the concept or the lifestyles of Katoeys. However, you, on more than one occasion have chosen to opine that all Katoeys have Mental Disorders. This is the reason why you think I would attack you.

20 percent is far too high.

There are approximately 300,000 ladyboys in thailand. There are going to be a a lot more in urban areas than rural areas, which could be said about all mental disorders.

As I said, around 20% of my male students. So roughly 1 in 5 of my male students. Varies a little from class to class, would be less probably in M1/M2 (But I've only taught the school's gifted classes at this level, not the Thai section, as I have only been teaching in a Mattayom school for 1 1/2 years). However in the M4 & M6 classes I've taught, it'd be a good estimate I'd say (Of the 10-15 boys in a class, usually 2-3 of them would be ladyboys).

But as I said, some might change when they finish high school, or maybe a lot of the normal boys drop out of school at the end of M3 (Ladyboys are generally much better students), or of course, my school could simply have an unnaturally high proportion of ladyboys. I am in conservative Isaan afterall, where if a young boy likes playing with girls, rather than boys, a lot of the other boys will start calling him a ladyboy, and I think that that often sticks. However later in life, perhaps they work out their real sexuality and change back to being a real man.

• Like 2