Ban Muang (article in Thai)

http://www.banmuang....ang....ger;ฦ/

=========================================================

Drawing of the crash scene:

285f7e9d.jpg

Daily News (article in Thai)

http://www.dailynews...th/crime/155289

Seems The Nation may have missed a few things here:

The diagram in the Daily news showst the accident scene as Sathorn Road proper, not Soi 3 (Suanphlu). Nevertheless, 80 Km/H seems like excessive speed in the rain.

The DN article also reports that witnesses called in the number and color of the taxi to a radio station popular with taxi drivers and commuters. Therefore the driver was likely aware that his capture was imminent. Hence, he decided to turn himself in to secure a discount on his sentence, seeing as he wasn't likely to get a way with his crime anyway.

I used to live very near the accident scene. Although the area is heavily populated, cars routinely use this stretch of road like a raceway. Due to a lack of convenient pedestrian crossings, many people unfortunately take the risk of crossing at street level.

Actually there is a overpass about 300 meters towards the river from Suan Plu.

That's kinda my point - 300 meters is hardly a convenient distance and given the weather conditions these 2 ladies may have chosen to take a chance. I've seen it happen at that location every day. Clearly it's not a good idea, but by the same token doesn't mean it's okay to just bump them off.

The Hit and Run bit is normal here, mostly because far to often the crowds will beat or kill the drivers of car pedestrian accidents, and the Thais all know this, and never know if they will stop and wait for police, or find themselves in a losing life or death struggle from something done accidentally.

The fact that most turn themselves into police a short time later, shows they understand what to do,

but want to survive doing the right thing.

In this case accident at 4am, and he turns himself in and tells his side at 6:30 am.

The Ferrari Red Bull heir not at all, just a weasel trying to blame his servent.

RIP to the poor lady and quick recovery to her Scots friend.

I have been here a long time and have never heard of anyone being beaten or killed in a hit and run.

If what you are saying is true you are indeed teaching me something as I myself was HIT in a hit and run and left to die please enlighten me as to where this information comes from.

A tragic death, and a totally unnecessary death caused by the admitted speed and driving conditions. It goes partly back to the lack of driver training discussed on another thread but at the end of the day it was culpable and reckless driving on the part of the taxi driver. At least this man had the conscience to put his hands up and admit to the accident after fleeing the scene.

I'm so sorry that this young lady has lost her life so needlessly, and I hope that Lauren, ( a fellow Scot ) gets the best medical care and makes a full recovery. It will be a long recovery for this young lady and I hope that she has friends in Bangkok to assist her, over and above the embassy staff.

We should limit the inquest and speculation as it's very likely that friends and family will come across this thread, such a tragic and needless loss.

So sorry Joanna,

As another fellow Scot, I endorse everything you said Blether.

The accused:

accusedtaxidriver.png

Thai Rath news (article in Thai)

http://www.thairath....t/region/291299

===========================================================

Heavily pixelated photos of the victim and the crash scene:

Ban Muang (article in Thai)

http://www.banmuang....ang....ger;ฦ/

=========================================================

Drawing of the crash scene:

285f7e9d.jpg

Daily News (article in Thai)

http://www.dailynews...th/crime/155289

Seems The Nation may have missed a few things here:

The diagram in the Daily news showst the accident scene as Sathorn Road proper, not Soi 3 (Suanphlu). Nevertheless, 80 Km/H seems like excessive speed in the rain.

The DN article also reports that witnesses called in the number and color of the taxi to a radio station popular with taxi drivers and commuters. Therefore the driver was likely aware that his capture was imminent. Hence, he decided to turn himself in to secure a discount on his sentence, seeing as he wasn't likely to get a way with his crime anyway.

I used to live very near the accident scene. Although the area is heavily populated, cars routinely use this stretch of road like a raceway. Due to a lack of convenient pedestrian crossings, many people unfortunately take the risk of crossing at street level.

Actually there is a overpass about 300 meters towards the river from Suan Plu.

That's kinda my point - 300 meters is hardly a convenient distance and given the weather conditions these 2 ladies may have chosen to take a chance. I've seen it happen at that location every day. Clearly it's not a good idea, but by the same token doesn't mean it's okay to just bump them off.

I took the estimation a little rough, it is probably closer than 300 meters. Last november I actually took said overpass to catch a taxi going towards RamaIV. Of course the loss of life and the injured are to be regretted, however I do believe that trying to cross the 8 lane street that is Sathorn, and the knowledge that most cars do in excess of 70 km/u outside of rush hours should be incentive enough to make the small detour and use the overpass.

That's a matter of opinion... yours apparently being the only one that matters. I'm sure you are the kind of person who needs to have the last word. So feel free to reply. Me, I'm moving on with my day.

wai.gif

Sarcasm aside.... Just to clarify, there will never be compliance to road rules in any country UNLESS there is strict enforcement. It's the same anywhere on the planet. Surely you don't believe that drivers anywhere will drive safely in the absence of strict enforcement?

You think this is an opinion? It's a well established fact of life.

Of course its not only driver training that makes the average westerner a better driver its the enforcement. If people know they can get away with something they will. More expats here drink and drive then back home.. why.. because there is a bigger chance to get away with it.

.. which led me to make the comment that fstarbkk couldn't grasp. i.e. it's the government's responsibility to make the roads safe. There's no other way. It's would be a huge investment on the part of the government which they obviously don't want to make. The cops are too busy lining their pockets with petty cash than taking care of business.

Travel advisories from various world embassies should explain the dangers of Thailand's roads (if they are not already doing so) to help the more naive of travellers. The rest of them should just open their eyes, stay alert and not walk around in drunken stupors.

If you read and quoted my entire statement, instead of one sentence at a time, it would be quite apparent that I said that enforcement IS the government's responsibility. So we apparently agree on that point. Therefore there was really no need for your condescending responses.

Edited by fstarbkk

Of course it does not mean its ok to bump them off but it makes them part of the blame. That is why i think this is an accident and if the guy drove 70km h i don't think he is to blame. It is not an unreasonable speed on the 3rd lane of a four lane road at a time that there is not much traffic.

The only thing that does stick is that he fleed the scene an act that i find repulsive, but is common here in Thailand. If we only knew he turned himself in because he knew he would be caught or because he felt remorse and was shocked by what he had done.

It's pretty clear that the taxi driver carries little blame for this sad accident.

I hope the courts will treat him leniently.

It's an accident and accidents happen.

I fail to see your logic.

The collision is secondary in this case. The fact is that 2 people involved in the incident and on the scene, left 2 critically injured young girls to die in the road without any compassion and thought for their welfare.

Would you still have the same opinions regarding the driver and his passenger, that in my opinion are both as bad, if one of the victims would have been your mother, sister, daughter, wife or girlfriend? I doubt it because than it would be personal. For example if I was out and about and saw you lying very ill or injured on the street, would you expect me to help you or consider it`s OK to ignore the situation, turn the other cheek and just walk away?

Sadly your logic and opinions regarding this case is a sign of the times.

• Like 1

If you read and quoted my entire statement, instead of one sentence at a time, it would be quite apparent that I said that enforcement IS the government's responsibility. So we apparently agree on that point. Therefore there was really no need for your condescending responses.

Didn't you say earlier you were going to take a break and get on with your day?

I did... got all my shopping done while you continued your obsessive persecution whistling.gif

Edited by fstarbkk

I did... got all my shopping done while you continued your obsessive persecution whistling.gif

I was down at the gym for 2 hours actually. Haven't you got something else to do now?

There is a growing debate regarding whether or not people should help at the scene of an accident.

IMO: It is simply inhumane not to.

If others are already helping and there is nothing more you can do, then fair enough.

But if you are the first on the scene you can always help, even if its only calling an ambulance or getting others to assist.

Worry about any implications of involvement later. IMO there is no decision to be made, the choice in a country like Thailand is a no brainer - Help.

Let them try and blame the foreigner for he can still hold his head up and say he did the right thing. We preach this morality, we should stand by it and ignore the paranoid fears.

I helped when I saw an incident once, I'm happy I did, I wouldn't like the guy who looks back at me in the mirror if I didn't.

That said - The only blame I can place on the taxi driver is his discussing inhumanity of not rendering assistance to those so clearly in need.

It's pretty clear that the taxi driver carries little blame for this sad accident.

I hope the courts will treat him leniently.

It's an accident and accidents happen.

I fail to see your logic.

The collision is secondary in this case. The fact is that 2 people involved in the incident and on the scene, left 2 critically injured young girls to die in the road without any compassion and thought for their welfare.

Would you still have the same opinions regarding the driver and his passenger, that in my opinion are both as bad, if one of the victims would have been your mother, sister, daughter, wife or girlfriend? I doubt it because than it would be personal. For example if I was out and about and saw you lying very ill or injured on the street, would you expect me to help you or consider it`s OK to ignore the situation, turn the other cheek and just walk away?

Sadly your logic and opinions regarding this case is a sign of the times.

Not sure of how many "incidents" like this you have been involved in, but I can very well imagine that one could get into some kind of 'shock' after an incident like this and not behaving 'normally'.

Edited by Semper

There is a growing debate regarding whether or not people should help at the scene of an accident.

IMO: It is simply inhumane not to.

If others are already helping and there is nothing more you can do, then fair enough.

But if you are the first on the scene you can always help, even if its only calling an ambulance or getting others to assist.

Worry about any implications of involvement later. IMO there is no decision to be made, the choice in a country like Thailand is a no brainer - Help.

Let them try and blame the foreigner for he can still hold his head up and say he did the right thing. We preach this morality, we should stand by it and ignore the paranoid fears.

I helped when I saw an incident once, I'm happy I did, I wouldn't like the guy who looks back at me in the mirror if I didn't.

That said - The only blame I can place on the taxi driver is his discussing inhumanity of not rendering assistance to those so clearly in need.

I am not trying to be funny, but how many reading this do you think would be able to phone an ambulance or even know which number to call, how many even know the Thai word for an ambulance?

fleeding the scene, so thai.... and free on bail ... should be jailed immediatly and punished severly

Why is that if it was not his fault...accidents do happen you know.

Getting sick hearing this one. Philw said it too. Accidents NEVER happen, they always have some cause or other.

I have no idea who caused this incident, but something happened, by either one or both parties to make it happen.

Where guilt arises is when the man went offski and left the 2 injured ladies in the rain. Coming back to face the music doesn't make it any better ini my book

I am not trying to be funny, but how many reading this do you think would be able to phone an ambulance or even know which number to call, how many even know the Thai word for an ambulance?

I wouldn't have a clue who to call or what to say.

A British woman and her friend from Scotland? Isn't Scotland part of Britain?

Sad, tragic and unnecessary. This taxi driver should be made an example of so the message gets across.

Be better if Hi So idiots got made an example of. Be interesting to see the difference in what happens to Red Bullshit Boy gets, compared to the Taxi driver.

Condolences to the family, another needless loss of life, caused by inept road laws and policing.

Very sad indeed & the passenger who jumped out and didn't stick around shame on them.

u think they would have stuck around ....though .a few years back in bangkok ..i remember a farang in a taxi involved in a fatal accident was put under a lot of pressure .....the police actually said to him ..it was his fault because if he hadnt hired the taxi the accident would not have happened ..rip to the poor girl and speedy recovery to the other lass .... its amazing how many people come here and unfortunately ......never go back

Terrible tragedy.

Another victim of the most dangerous tourism destination for Brits, Aussies and Swedes.

So it's less dangerous for... I don't know, Americans, Dutch, Spanish etc?? It's a dangerous tourist destination coming from the 3 afore mentioned countries does not increase the danger...

Getting sick hearing this one. Philw said it too. Accidents NEVER happen, they always have some cause or other.

I have no idea who caused this incident, but something happened, by either one or both parties to make it happen.

Where guilt arises is when the man went offski and left the 2 injured ladies in the rain. Coming back to face the music doesn't make it any better ini my book

So you say accidents never happen huh ?

Everything that happens leading up to an accident is a prelude to an accident and you must have amazing futuristic skills if you can see all that unfolding as to then do something different to avoid an accident.

I wouldn't have a clue who to call or what to say.

Call an international hospital or call a thai you know to make the call for you. Might add a minute or 3 to the action but better than nothing.

Very sad indeed & the passenger who jumped out and didn't stick around shame on them.

u think they would have stuck around ....though .a few years back in bangkok ..i remember a farang in a taxi involved in a fatal accident was put under a lot of pressure .....the police actually said to him ..it was his fault because if he hadnt hired the taxi the accident would not have happened ..rip to the poor girl and speedy recovery to the other lass .... its amazing how many people come here and unfortunately ......never go back

Friend of a friend of a friend or someone you actually know?

Of course it does not mean its ok to bump them off but it makes them part of the blame. That is why i think this is an accident and if the guy drove 70km h i don't think he is to blame. It is not an unreasonable speed on the 3rd lane of a four lane road at a time that there is not much traffic.

The only thing that does stick is that he fleed the scene an act that i find repulsive, but is common here in Thailand. If we only knew he turned himself in because he knew he would be caught or because he felt remorse and was shocked by what he had done.

I have said before,and i will say again.... Your another one that has taken as gospel the speed being "70"! This speed has only been given by a man that left 2 girls lying in the road for dead!

If in his report he had quoted i was only doing 40kph would you still take this as the gospel truth,and continue to say oh well 40 is not fast?

I wish you all would stop quoting "His" speed that "He" said he was doing...

I would't mind you being the police officer who arrests me if you can believe the words of this man,he gave himself in when he had to and says what speed he was doing .

• Like 1

Lets not get bogged down with speed, unless you fully understand physics. As a UK certified accident investigator I can tell you it is not speed alone. Consider a driver driving at a constant 80 kpm, he/she may and should be able to stop within a reasonable distance (if alert and anticipating but that's another subject). However, a driver who is travelling at 20 kpm and accelerates to 40 kpm will take much longer to stop. I could go into more technical detail but all I want to do is let some people here understand that speed and speed alone, is not the dominant factor.

Has anyone ever been in a taxi that is well maintained, with good tyres and brakes in Thailand? I certainly haven't so that can add at least 5 metres on to the stopping distance. Then even if the driver is sober and not a bad driver, if he's been driving all day and possibly all night (as they do to make money) then fatigue will contribute with at least several more metres.

Lets not just to conclusions but either way you approach this incident it all points to negligence by degree.