Getting A Camera Cleaned

bamboozled

As a forty-year veteran of life on both sides of the camera, I can say without reservation that having a camera "cleaned" is an expensive way to ask for trouble. Modern cameras are closed systems, and if there's something on the outside that bothers you, a little Windex on a Qtip will usually do just fine. In the old days, technicians could open a camera and sometimes make themselves useful by refreshing lube on mechanical parts, but that's pretty much history now.

If there is a specific task to perform that users shouldn't do themselves, such as cleaning a digital sensor, then go to a reputable shop and ask them to do it. I use Photobug just north of the moat on Chang Phuak. I think it was 800 baht last time, and they did a perfect job.

AV Shop is reliable (but tricky to find - it's a very small shop front!). If it's a Canon camera, they have a factory service centre on the outside of the south side of the moat between Moonmuang Road and Chiang Mai Gate. It has a big sign so it's hard to miss.

Fantastic, that should cover it, you guys are great. Very helpful. I believe he is referring to dust on the sensor and if I'm not mistaken it is a Canon camera. He has been doing the "travel Asia" thing and I guess taking a lot of pics and feels that with all the dust in the air and lens changes he has a nice coating built up. I'm in the Chang Pueak area so Photobug is close by. Then again, if there is a Canon center maybe that is more appropriate. I'll let him decide. Thanks again all.